“Second visit and I loved it”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton
Centurion, South Africa
“Second visit and I loved it”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Still one of the better hotels I have stayed in. I had a totally different room than the first time, but this was also very good. I like the bathroom and the decor.
The dinner was very good, and foor excellent. The hotel has a nice atmosphere seeing that it is actually a old building that was renovated. They did a very good job, all feels new now, but the atmosphere stayed.
I just dont understand the new policy to pay for parking?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Lynn0416

Thank you for taking the time and giving us such great feedback. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Protea Hotel Hilton is indeed an outstanding Hotel and we are very happy that we can “show it off”. It is great when GUESTS return and have consistently good comments.

The reason that parking is charged is that we have new and improved security surveillance system, offering you heightened safety while you stay with us. We take all feedback seriously in order to ascertain how our GUESTS feel about this.

Once again, thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Hilton in the near future. Please feel free to pop for a coffee and a chat when you are next with us.

Protea Hotel Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Johannesburg
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked four King Deluxe Rooms at the Protea and two couples checked in for all of us ealier as the other couples were arriving very late. Two of the rooms were deluxe rooms with a pool facing view. When we arrived at the hotel at about 10:30pm, we had rooms which were most definately not the King sized deluxe! The two rooms had a bathroom separate from the toilet, which was across the other side of the room. You walked past teh TV and bed to reach thetoilet and back again to the bathroom! The light switch for the toilet was at the opposite side, at the door. The view was terrible. The rooms overlooked the laundry, was right next to the air-conditioning units and faced the garbage! I then called Ashley at Reception at about 11.00pm to complain, I was told that there were no other rooms available and would have to call back in the morning. He agreed that the rooms were Superior and not the King Deluxe. As soon I woke in the morning I called Reception and spoke to Antony the Duty Manager. Within a few minutes he reallocated rooms for us and send us the keys. So thank you Anthony. This time we had far better rooms, with better views. The hotel is very pleasant for a shot stay in Pietermaritzburg and a very short drive to the City Centre, so very convenient

Room Tip: Do not take Rooms 419, 421, 423, 425. They have the worst views and teh separtate toilet did not wo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YasminaJohannesburg
Dear YasminaJohannesburg

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay.

GUESTS’ perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced throughout your stay is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve and are usually proud to offer. It seems that the room type booked was incorrect from the time the booking was made, for this we apologise and are currently investigating this with our online booking system.

We can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel Hilton again, that every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality! Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future.

It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation and ensure that you are well taken care of during your next stay with us.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The revamped hotel is everything you expect from a Protea Hotel - and then some! Love to stay here. Old world style, service and setting with all of the best modern facilities incorporated. Looking forward to my next stay!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dick B
Dear Dick B

Thank you for the lovely review.

Your comments have been conveyed to the STAFF who is thrilled and motivated to continue in their search for excellence.

We are proud to offer all the facilities and amenities that a GUEST may need during their stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Recently we the absolute pleasure of staying at the newly revamped Protea Hilton Hotel whilst participating in a charity Bike Ride from Johannesburg to Durban . It has been years since I last visited this Hotel , and was blown away by the revamp . The Hotel is not only beautifully presented , the staff and service is of the very highest standard . The evening meal and legendary Buffet Breakfast toped out our one night stay , and all I can say is that I will be back , but this time for a little longer , so I can really take the time to appreciate the tranquil surroundings and superior service this Hotel has to offer .

To Pauline and her team , thank you so much for making our Trip to Durban so memorable !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kevin B

Thank you very much for your motivating review.

I am pleased you got to see the revamped hotel, and that the owners kept the beautiful old world charm, with the feeling of opulence.

I have put your positive comments about the STAFF on the notice board and it has brought many smiles to their faces.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel following a car breakdown.I cannot be more complimentary of the staff and in particular the manager in making my wife and our foreign guests comfortable and providing assistance beyond the call of duty in retrieving our vehicle and arranging for it to be repaired.

The accommodation was spacious and good and the food excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank david s
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear david s

Who doesn't like receiving top marks? Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is unfortunate that your car broke down; however I am so happy that we were able to assist you and make you feel at home at Protea Hotel Hilton.

The STAFF continuously prove to me their dedication and passion to deliver the best GUEST service. I will pass on your comments and congratulate them.

The chef and TEAM strive to create tasty meals and your feedback will inspire them even more.

Thanks again for your comments and please visit us again soon.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've stayed for a week and it has been excellent. The hotel is very quiet at night, the staff are very helpful and the food is excellent, except on Sunday night the meal was a buffet which wasn't as good as the restaurant service on other nights.
The room is spacious and comfortable with an excellent en-suite including lots of hot water from the shower.
I didn't try the pool, it's winter and I don't think it's highly heated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard W
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Richard W

Thank you for taking the time to write this motivating review.

We have wonderful STAFF and we pride ourselves on offering the best GUEST service. Your positive comments and recognition of the STAFF will motivate them to continue with their efforts.

I am pleased that you were comfortable in your room and there was plenty hot water to keep you warm.

You need to return in spring or summer, it is an absolutely amazing time to be here with the flowers and the birds. You could also swim in the pool, or sit on the edge and do a day’s work on your laptop.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Protea Hotel Hiilton
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in July 2013. The hotel was gorgeous and full of history with all the modern conveniences expected at Protea.

The dinner was miserable though. We each ordered different steak meals, I forget the cuts, one with wasabi mash and one with fries. We both got the same overdone cut of meat with tasteless lumpy mash.

A patron at the table opposite had just abused the waiter so terribly over his meal that we didn't have the heart to complain.

I think the hotel needs to get their chef up to the Protea standard and they will have an exceptional tourist destination.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sasha N
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Sasha N

Thank you for such valuable feedback and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

Our Tudor-style architectural showpiece, located on the Midlands Meander is most definitely full of history. We are so glad that the facilities and accommodation were excellent.

I apologise for your below par meal in the restaurant as this is certainly not the standard that we aim to achieve. Your feedback is important and I will be sure to sit down with the Chef in order to ascertain areas of improvement and ensure that the standards are at the right levels.

Protea Hotel Hiiton will most certainly do its best to strive for excellence and make sure that we are an exceptional tourist destination.

Protea Hotel Hilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pietermaritzburg
Road Lodge Pietermaritzburg
#1 of 1 in Wartburg
Fordoun Spa Hotel Restaurant
Fordoun Spa Hotel Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Nottingham Road

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton? Share your experiences!