“A wonderful stop over stay”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton
Durbanville, South Africa
“A wonderful stop over stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We were on a weeks trip around KZN this was definately the best hotel we stayed at. The rooms are wonderful with the decor in keeping with the properties heritage. The service was friendly and efficient. We will definately stay here again

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Bomber08
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hi Bomber08

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely comment.

It is truly motivating when STAFF has made such an effort to lift standards and it is seen and acknowledged by the GUEST.

We are proud of this beautiful hotel and the rich heritage that comes with it. The revamp aimed to maintain the heritage and give a finishing touch of elegance.

Your comments are valued and appreciated and the TEAM looks forward to your next visit.

Protea Hotel Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Durbanville, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We used this hotel for a one night stop over as part of a few days trip. It was the best of the hotels we stayed at. The rooms are tastefully decorated and a wonderful shower. All staff were friendly and helpful. We will return for sure.

• Stayed February 2013
Hi Bomber08

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely comment.

Centurion, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

2 weeks of pure satisfaction. Had to stay in PMB for 2 weeks for business. I had the most beautifull room. Service was very good. In the evenings it becomes all misty, and then it is very romantic. Enjoyed my time there.
Was a bit far dring to CPD everyday. BUt will stay there again, even if I have to drive.
It is on a hill, and everything is green. Beautifull old building.
Wouldnt say that the a la cart menu is very special. Breakfast is good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Lynn0416

Thank you kindly for your valued comments. It is great to get positive feedback on our beautiful hotel.

The grandeur of the building is unique and just as you mentioned, the setting on a lush, green hill makes all the difference.

It is thanks to TripAdvisor reviews and our Hot or Not system that we have just finished our new a la carte menu and it will hopefully be in the restaurant shortly to delight the senses.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us. During your next visit, please pop into my office as I look forward to meeting you.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

After a rush booking on being selected for the World Masters Road Race cycling final I found this Great Hotel in Hilton run by the Protea Group. The Manager Heather was fantastic in making sure I was able to see a bit of the country before I departed after competing and made me feel right at home. Also special mention to Bongi on the front desk who always had this wide smile and a friendly hello every time I passed her and to Mpumi in the restaurant who always waved and stopped for a chat when I arrived for meals or was just passing. Then a very special mention to Elliot who went out of his way to please me every time I was dining and God bless his sole I was just informed he sadly passed away from a serious illness since I was there, RIP mate as you will be sadly missed ! In all a Great place out of town from Pietermaritzburg ! Definitely worth a look at for a stay in this area !

Room Tip: I had a room next to the pool water fall so if you like that sought of tranquil water sound which I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear beegee58

Reading your review makes me very proud of the TEAM that I work with at the Hotel. Their effort to make you feel at home, welcome you with a smile and show genuine interest in your day to day activities is a true reflection of the GUEST service we offer. I will most certainly congratulate them all individually.

I am glad that you enjoyed the restaurant and the sound of the water feature near your room.

Thank you once again and I hope that all went well with the race. It was a pleasure meeting you and we look forward to your return.

Southern England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We booked this hotel, just as a simple overnight stop over, travelling from Port Shepstone, to Ladysmith.
However, it was surprisingly good. It was a Saturday night, and the hotel was nicely busy
We enjoyed a very good buffet dinner, and breakfast. Dinner and room were good value, drinks price in the bar not so good, but that's a minor niggle.

Room had a rubbish view of the back yard, but we arrived in the dark, and left in thick fog, so no big deal !! Recommended for a comfortable stopover if travelling through.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Mark_and_Nicky

It is always wonderful to hear that GUESTS’ expectations have been exceeded. Thank you so much for your positive comments and I am very pleased that you enjoyed all of your meals with us. The room you stayed in is the original hotel, and although it’s been beautifully re-vamped, it doesn’t offer the same view as the new side of the hotel.

The new side of the hotel is truly beautiful; rooms with views of the swimming pool and others that overlook the majestic mountains. On your next trip to South Africa please request one of these rooms and we will do our best to allocate one of them to you.

A trip to the Midlands would not be complete without seeing some South African wildlife and we are delighted that you managed to fit that in.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

After the disappointment of the Protea Hotel in Walvis Bay this place was a more positive experience. It's an older building just off the highway between Johannesburg and Durban, about 60km from Durban. The setting is quite green and the surrounding countryside is hilly. IY's not amazing, but OK.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear raymondphill

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, all reviews are invaluable!

The originally property was built in 1936 and serves as one part of the accommodation at Protea Hotel Hilton. I wish I had met you and had the opportunity to take you into the brand new half of the building. We have 55 new rooms with bath and a walk-in shower, all with breath-taking views of either the beautiful pool area or the vast expanse of mountains.

We hope to show you some of these rooms and advise you on activities around the Midlands Meander when you next visit Kwa-Zulu Natal.

Thank you once again and I hope you enjoyed your travels to Umhlanga.

darren2802
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was interested to see how the renovations had turned out since the Protea Group took over the hotel since I last stayed there when it was just known as "The Hilton Hotel". From the outside it looks quite nice and the interiors have also been done nicely, but in terms of value for money it was not there.

The room rate excluded breakfast, which I was expecting when paying over R1000 per night. The room was decent but the windows did not open fully and in this part of the country it's a pity that one can't see the countryside. From the slight gap through which I could peep, I could however see an extensive array of what appears to be air conditioner units, and this didn't surprise me as I had read about these in other reviews on TA.

The hot water in the shower took ages to arrive which must have wasted a lot of water, and the shower glass also had a leak which caused the water to run on the tiles. So in all I was not impressed by the room.

In my previous visits to the Midlands I have also stayed in bed and breakfasts and on leaving the hotel I regretted not going back to one of those BnB's for which there is an extensive variety. They offer better value for money (i.e. are cheaper), because normally they include um breakfast, and they normally are in a nicer setting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hi darren2802

Thank you for taking the time to review Protea Hotel Hilton on TripAdvisor. The feedback we get helps us determine both our positive and negative aspects of the Hotel, and to improve wherever possible. It is also imperative to us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations.

With regards to the windows not opening fully, this is done to ensure the safety of our GUESTS. We pride ourselves on Health & Safety and take our internal Risk Audits extremely serious. This is a minimum standard to ensure your safety. Due to lack of space, and not having air conditioner units along our exterior walls, which most hotels do, we opted for the units to be placed on the roof so that we could keep the Tudor look of the Hotel.

I truly apologise for the low pressure on the hot water system and the maintenance issues experienced. Even though we have gone through a major refurbishment, we have inherited many issues from the original Hilton Hotel. Protea Hotels is conscious of our responsibility as a major hotelier on the environment and I ensure you we are working on ways to combat this problem. Not sure if you have noticed, we now have glass Vivreau bottles in our rooms containing water purified at our establishment. You can read more about this on our website under the Press Releases section.

Rates fluctuate depending on the availability and I assure you, even though we are a premium four-star establishment with exceptional service, we do offer rates below R1 000. The time of your stay must have been over an extremely busy period resulting in the rate being what it was. If you visit our website at this moment in time, you will find rates as low as R799 for two adults.

Once again, thank you for posting a comment, it is greatly appreciated and I truly hope we will see you in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Heather Poulsen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pietermaritzburg
Road Lodge Pietermaritzburg
#3 of 61 in Pietermaritzburg
Karkloof Safari Spa
Karkloof Safari Spa
#2 of 26 in Pietermaritzburg

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hilton? Share your experiences!