Imvubu Lodge
$90
Splendid Inn Bayshore(Richards Bay)
$44
$95
  • Free Internet
Seagull Lodge(Richards Bay)
  • Pool
Mavundla Guest House(Richards Bay)
All reviewssundowner barindian oceanhoneymoon suitereeds restaurantprivate beachrichards bayoverlooking the lakevery nice placeself cateringsun downerhousekeeping staffmain restaurantcity lifemalva puddingsouth africagreat facilitiesshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I've stayed there three times now. Each time with a different feeling according to the room I get.
The first time there were 4 of us so we got a big chalet with 2 double rooms, a lounge area, a huge terrace on the lake, a kitchenette and 2 small bathrooms. We were thrilled.

For the next two stays, there were only 2 of us, and both times we received a small chalet. Nice and cosy but a bit cramped because it was very small. Clean, though, with complimentary toiletries, air conditioning, tea and coffee-making facilities, and everything you need. On one hand I was a bit disappointed at being in a very small chalet, but on the other hand ...

I still think it's the best option in Richards Bay for a stop-over or a short stay. The chalets (big and small) are well-maintained and appointed, located in nice greenery, and all have a parking place for your car.

You're a minute from the beach or the small splash pool, there's a nice sundowner bar with a great view over the ocean, and "The Reeds", the hotel restaurant, is quite nice. Anyway it's your only option if you don't want to drive somewhere else.

The restaurant menu itself is nicely and creatively presented, I liked that. The staff is charming and very helpful, both for dinner and breakfast.

Breakfast consists of an okay buffet with a reasonable range of options, and you can order eggs to taste as well as a whole range of warm dishes, all included in the price of the buffet.

You can ask for espresso and actually get it, which isn't the case everywhere :-)

No problems with the booking process on the Protea website. Just don'rt try to send them a separate e-mail with any questions because you'll never get an answer.

All in all, I'll go back. It's really nice, after a long flight from overseas + connecting flight to RCB, to be able to relax near the sea and/or the lake, hear and see the birds and the vervet monkeys ... it really beats ending up in a "regular" hotel of bricks and cement !

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sawaddeekha
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My 13yo son and I stayed at Imvubu for about two weeks in late June/early July. I needed a "home base" while conducting research supporting my doctorate. The grounds are beautiful, lots of Vervet monkeys, beautiful private beach access. The pool was pretty but because we were there in winter, we didn't swim. The Sundowner was nice with a beautiful view and attentive staff. The other restaurant was good as well; you got to try their malva pudding! My son and I played lots of Adventure Golf and enjoyed the monkey group bounding across our chalet roof every morning and afternoon. But there were some downsides. First, the work I was doing necessitated wifi access which I was assured would be available in all the chalets. Our first chalet was nearer to the beach; so much so that we could hear the waves breaking. Unfortunately there was no wifi access. In addition, the chalet had only aircon and no heat so it was freezing especially at night. After talking with the front desk staff, they reaccomodated us in one of the two deluxe chalets (I think they had had a last-minute cancellation). This chalet did have wifi access and the staff brought us a space heater which helped. Overall the chalet was big and comfortable and had really nice wood furniture including a picnic table on the balcony. It also had braai facilities, full kitchen, and was near reception. Unfortunately partway through the stay the tv service went out and the staff was unable to restore it. Also the hot water went out several times and the electric once or twice. Part of this is life in South Africa and the staff was accomodating for the most part. It is unfortunate that a place that has such potential to be fantastic falls short in some of these areas. One other thing they need is a more effective concierge service or at least train their staff to better be able to answer questions about sites in the area, drive time, things to do, etc. Overall, it was a nice stay for the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank logansrun98
Reviewed March 28, 2011

A pleasant stay at the lodge for a wedding was marred by repeated unpleasant dealings with the bookings staff. Not only had the staff double-booked my friend's wedding and ultimately booked the incorrect honeymoon suite, they failed to make our booking despite email confirmation and receiving our deposit. When the time came to pay the balance of the account the staff refused to give us the special "wedding party" discount that had been agreed upon and we were forced to ask the mother of the groom to accompany us to reception to verify that a discount had been agreed on. Numerous other guests attending the same wedding experienced similar booking chaos. I would strongly advise avoiding Protea Hotel Imvubu Lodge if you are looking for a hassle-free break.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MiluskaT
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Cool location near lake and in green surrounding.Very peacefull place

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Great lodges with all the facilities you need. We stayed in no.15 overlooking the lake which was spot on. The monkeys are great fun and will take food from your hand. Great fshing from the pier and helpful locals. Go to "the Lions Den" if you want to meet some locals and check out the Cambridge United shirt!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends