“Very nice place!”

Zululand Safari Lodge
Hoedspruit, South Africa
“Very nice place!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Review update (November 2012)
When I first saw the reviews and pictures of this place (posted in 2009) I decided not to go there. Instead I was going to go to Zululand tree house because I stayed there before and liked it very much. The problem for us is that Zululand tree house offers full board and we intended to be at HluHluwe-Umfolozi park all day long, meaning we would miss breakfast and lunch. The only other option was Zululand Safari lodge which is in the same property as the Tree House, consequently only 7km form the entrance to the park.

When I called the lodge to ask them about the reviews they told me me that the Zululand Safari lodge was now under the management of the Ubizane group along with Zululand tree house. They send me a PDF file showing the apparent improvements, and assured me the situation had changed that review was posted, so I decided to give it a try.

I was pleasantly surprise to find out that the rooms were nothing like in the pictures posted back in 2009. The rooms are really nice and clean, the bathroom is in very good condition. it's evident that this units were renovated to meet the standards of quality of the Tree Lodge. The difference between Tree Lodge and Safari is that the first one is comprised of log cabins and the second are concrete rondavels. I particularly like the log cabin feeling so I didn’t expect to like the rondavels. But I have to admit I did like them. They were not only comfortable but nicely decorated. At night they prepare your bed and leave you some sweets . It was nice to see they paid attention to details.

There is no restaurant at the lodge but you can have your dinner at the tree house. The food is great and the personnel were really helpful and friendly. I have to admit I was expecting to be disappointed, but luckily it wasn’t the case at all. So, yes I would recommend this lodge to anybody that wants an “accommodation only” basis. You still have the option of having your meals at the Tree Lodge if you were to change your mind about spending the whole day in Hluhluwe-Umfolozi parks as we did.

I am posting some pictures we took of the rooms.

Hope this help others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ifrankallen
Ubizane W, Manager at Zululand Safari Lodge, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
First of all we would like to thank you for considering Zululand Safari Lodge, after reading the previous reviews!

We are delighted that you firstly had a pleasant stay, and secondly that you wrote such a beautiful review! Ubizane Wildlife Reserve en-devours to exceed guests expectations and provide a service that will forever be remembered!

We hope to see you back at either lodge in the not so distant future!

Warmest Regards,
Ubizane Management & Staff

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It took a relaxed two & a half hour drive from Umhlanga Rocks - about the same distance as from the King Shaka Airport - directions were easy to follow & we were greeted at the entrance by welcoming staff who gave us a cool drink while we registered - Jade - my email contact at the Lodge was there to take us to our room - each rondavel room is spread around an open grassy area with paved pathways lit at night - impala & ostriches wander the area & although not seen I have it on good authority that giraffes also come to visit!
The rondavels are great - simply but tastefully furnished - each one complete with a generous shower room, dressing area & fully equipped kitchen (this time we ate in the restaurant but there were barbecues built around the area - another time maybe?) - the bedroom area has a big, comfortable bed complete with mosquito net although luckily no sign of the 'pesky critters!
The restaurant is lovely - set among the trees & with a huge fireplace for cool evenings - the food was delicious - tasty home cooking served buffet style - good choice & plentiful - must mention the yummy home-made marmalade - a nice touch!
We did two wildlife tours organised by the Lodge - the first a two hour trip around the Ubizane Reserve (where the Lodge is situated) & the second a longer trip to Hluhluwe about ten minutes drive away - what a treat - lions, rhino, elephant, giraffe, warthogs & many species of antelope! - both trips were conducted by Hamilton who shared his considerable bush knowledge with a great sense of humour - an amazing experience ...
I could wax lyrical about this visit for much longer but will finish with a mention of the staff at the Lodge - I cannot praise them enough all were pleasant, friendly & unfailingly helpful & we thank them for helping to make this trip so special ...

Room Tip: There are two areas - the more open & perhaps more family oriented Safari Lodge & the more r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SANDAW
Ubizane W, Social Media Administrator at Zululand Safari Lodge, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
3. First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Zululand Safari Lodge during your holiday!
Thank you for the beautiful review you have compiled for Ubizane! We strive in providing guests with a service that would be forever remembered and exceeding guests expectations!
We want guests to be treated in the lap of luxury, experiencing the best of what Africa has to offer here in Zululand.

We hope to see you back at either lodge in the near future!

Warmest Regards,
Ubizane Management & Staff
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We just returned from a wonderful South African vacation (Oct 2010) and during that time
we spent 3 nights at the Zululand Safari Lodge at Ubizane.

The food was excellent and plentyful. One night we had roast beef & yorkshire pudding.

The room, which was newly re-modeled, is based on a traditional Zulu hut and what was
represented on their web site is exactly what we found when we arrived. Note that not all huts have been upgraded, I'm not sure what their condition is. We had had lots of hot water.

One morning we awoke a found a girafe just outside the hut (40 metres). There were frequently kudu immediately beside the hut. Also, the wildlife experienced in Ubizane Wildlife Reserve was very good. The encounters with girafe and rhino were excellent. Furthermore, the geography was more scenic that Kruger National Park.

We were told there has been new management and there is re-modeling/upgrading
taking place throughout the property.

We saw, but did not go into the Zululand Tree Lodge, so I cannot talk about that part of the property.

I used their computer once to access email and played billiards once as well.

The Ubizane Wildlife Reserve is located in Zululand, just south of Swaziland, in
South Africa. Access to this area is easy as it is just off the N2 highway. Also, an excursion to the coast, St Lucia, we easy and rewarding.

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Zululand Safari Lodge.

www.ubizane.co.za

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2007

As a South African living abroad I make an effort to experience what South Africa has to offer each time I go home. There is nothing more magical than experiencing the still-ness of the African Bush. The great thing about Zululand Safari Lodge is that it is within a few hours drive from Durban. The lodge is an authentic African lodge without too much fanfare. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a small kitchette for basic food preparations. Each room is a rondavel and they are well spaced out so you get a sense of privacy in what is a not very exclusive lodge. Each room has its own BBQ and a set of outdoor chairs and table. We ate dinner at the Lodge, a wonderful experience inside an African Boma (reed enclosure with a fire in the centre). If you are looking for something authentic on a budget I recommend the Zululand Safari lodge.

• Liked — Authentic African feel without being touristy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank A K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hluhluwe
Zululand Tree Lodge
#6 of 32 in Hluhluwe
Rhino River Lodge
Rhino River Lodge
#2 of 10 in Mkuze

Been to Zululand Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!