“An unexpected gem”

Description: twitter: http://twitter.com/9thavenuebistro
Manchester, United Kingdom
“An unexpected gem”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

This was the best evening meal from a two week trip to KZN. The restaurant doesn't promise much from the outside - I don't think we would have gone in had we not reserved. The restaurant is a short walk away from the Benjamin hotel, has a broad menu and excellent food. I'd happily return.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Bluehamster

Durban, South Africa
“Stepping into the Masterchef kitchen...”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Its a special occasion to eat at 9th Ave Bistro. Its not cheap but its worth it!

There are very few restaurants in Durban that offer the high standard of food on offer at 9th..
The service is good. Food didnt take too long. All were very happy at the table by the end of our meal. What more do you want?

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank 1st_Zulu_Safaris_SA
London
“A wonderful meal/New Years Eve”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went to 9th Avenue Bistro for New Years Eve. The interior is sort of French/American Style with a bar, wine shelves and the view of the kitchen. Staff was very friendly took us to our table quickly.
The menu included an aperitif of sparklingly wine, dry and very pleasant. The menu had plenty of choice and it was delightful to move up from the usual steak/ meat dishes. After my wife had made her choices, the waitress, instead of the usual “excellent choice, Madam” said “Cool”. I liked that very refreshing.
We had a bottle of “First Sighting” 2010, as I like Pinot Noir with duck. It was really wonderful wine. Extremely good value for money.
The homemade butternut squash raviolis were delicious, truly enjoyable. For mains I had the duck. The breast was cooked pink, perfectly while the thigh was cooked style confit de canard. It was very tasty and delicious and it went really well with the pinot noir. I’m not really a desert person but I loved the dark chocolate tarte, very rich and nice.
Whereas most restaurants in the UK seem to be able to cook in the Xmas month, 9th Avenue Bistro managed without any difficulty. I was very pleased with our evening and I would like to thank the kitchen and staff for providing us with a memorable New Year’s meal.

1 Thank WikingDiver
London, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable New Year's Eve dinner”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We enjoyed our meal at 9th Avenue Bistro. We were a bit sceptical about the area and the appearance of the restaurant but this proved to be unfounded. It is a bistro after all and not a fine dining establishment, I was surprised to see a small area what was outside but under cover, we would have liked to sit there instead of being inside on such a warm evening.

The set menu for NYE had several choices per course plus a glass of sparkling wine on arrival, an amuse bouche and a palate cleanser. We believe the price of ZAR475pp was very reasonable for NYE. Try getting a meal for this price in other cities eg London or Paris on NYE. Usually we pay about minimum of ZAR1000 just for a bottle of wine in a London restaurant. I can see that the price might be expensive for ZA standards. Usually the standard of cooking in restaurants goes downhill when you reach Christmas and NY but not at 9th Avenue Bistro.

We had butternut squash ravioli and a dish of smoked duck breast for starter. The ravioli was extremely good, duck breast was also good served with beetroot. For main, I had the roast suckling pig with gorgonzola mash, it was very delicious and was a big portion. For those who don't know, suckling pig is quite fatty anyway, so the restaurant had roasted this and "pulled" the meat from the pig and served it with crackling and a jus. It was very tasty. My other half had the free range duck which he enjoyed very much.

For dessert, I had a Drackensberg goats cheese with poached peaches, creme fraiche and a glass of dessert wine. I felt the peaches were not sweet enough and I didn't understand the combination but it was interesting to try (esp the cheese and dessert wine). My other half had a chocolate sponge with white chocolate ice cream (which was not rich or white chocolately enough to complement the chocolate sponge IMO) but very enjoyable nonetheless.

The service was very fast so we asked that they slow it down a little, which they did. It was a lovely meal and would definitely return if we are in Durban again.

2 Thank fru_sorteravn
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“disappointing & overpriced”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We booked at this restaurant based on the very positive reviews here but it was a disappointing dinner and so over-priced for SA. The fried calamari starter was average, the duck was so dry but the suckling piglet the worst: It was reassembled meat made into a rectangular-shaped, greasy and heavy dish. This would be ok for a quick lunch but not for a 475-ZAR per-person dinner menu!

2 Thank Nicarzani