“Very enjoyable New Year's Eve dinner”
Review of 9th Avenue Bistro

9th Avenue Bistro
Ranked #4 of 609 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Twitter: Http://twitter.com/9thavenuebistro
London, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable New Year's Eve dinner”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We enjoyed our meal at 9th Avenue Bistro. We were a bit sceptical about the area and the appearance of the restaurant but this proved to be unfounded. It is a bistro after all and not a fine dining establishment, I was surprised to see a small area what was outside but under cover, we would have liked to sit there instead of being inside on such a warm evening.

The set menu for NYE had several choices per course plus a glass of sparkling wine on arrival, an amuse bouche and a palate cleanser. We believe the price of ZAR475pp was very reasonable for NYE. Try getting a meal for this price in other cities eg London or Paris on NYE. Usually we pay about minimum of ZAR1000 just for a bottle of wine in a London restaurant. I can see that the price might be expensive for ZA standards. Usually the standard of cooking in restaurants goes downhill when you reach Christmas and NY but not at 9th Avenue Bistro.

We had butternut squash ravioli and a dish of smoked duck breast for starter. The ravioli was extremely good, duck breast was also good served with beetroot. For main, I had the roast suckling pig with gorgonzola mash, it was very delicious and was a big portion. For those who don't know, suckling pig is quite fatty anyway, so the restaurant had roasted this and "pulled" the meat from the pig and served it with crackling and a jus. It was very tasty. My other half had the free range duck which he enjoyed very much.

For dessert, I had a Drackensberg goats cheese with poached peaches, creme fraiche and a glass of dessert wine. I felt the peaches were not sweet enough and I didn't understand the combination but it was interesting to try (esp the cheese and dessert wine). My other half had a chocolate sponge with white chocolate ice cream (which was not rich or white chocolately enough to complement the chocolate sponge IMO) but very enjoyable nonetheless.

The service was very fast so we asked that they slow it down a little, which they did. It was a lovely meal and would definitely return if we are in Durban again.

2 Thank fru_sorteravn

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“disappointing & overpriced”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We booked at this restaurant based on the very positive reviews here but it was a disappointing dinner and so over-priced for SA. The fried calamari starter was average, the duck was so dry but the suckling piglet the worst: It was reassembled meat made into a rectangular-shaped, greasy and heavy dish. This would be ok for a quick lunch but not for a 475-ZAR per-person dinner menu!

2 Thank Nicarzani
Durban, South Africa
“Once again fantastic”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Travelling back to Durban top of my list was a visit back to 9th Avenue, we went for lunch this time with a few of our friends and we were not disappointed. I was pleased to see they have upgraded the front of the shop with beautiful wooden blinds and window boxes which really improve the view. The food was just as good as I remember, my one friend is very fussy and only eats simple dishes so that was great as you can have a simple steak and chips or calamari or you can have more complex dishes. I had the Quail & the Suckling pig which both were outstanding. The service is excellent. A great way to start our holiday.

1 Thank luketanner6
Blantyre, Blantyre, Malawi
“Christmas Eve Treat”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I dined at the 9th Avenue Bistro on Christmas Eve on our most recent trip to Durban. I made a booking with Gina via email several weeks before we arrived. Although a deposit is usually required to secure a booking for Christmas Eve, when I informed her that my husband and I were from out of the country and we couldn't deposit into their account she still made a booking for us. I really appreciated this gesture as sometimes South African service can be a bit "South African-centric" at other places. A special prix-fixe menu was offered that evening which included an amuse-bouche, starter, main, dessert, egg nog and coffee or tea for ZAR 375/person which I found to be very good value for money. The menu choices were fresh, expertly cooked and interesting. Their wine list also offers choices from across South Africa to please any palate. The service was attentive and the ambiance inviting. Don't miss this restaurant if you are visiting Durban.

2 Thank Mary_Kassam
Durban, South Africa
“Service par excellence”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The service at 9th Avenue is impressive and the food is made to perfection. We had a late dinner here - my main and dessert were both on recommendation of the waiter. I was quite impressed with his choice and they both complimented each other quite well. The attention to detail from the staff is the best I've experienced in Durban. It all makes for an exquisite fine dining experience.

1 Thank Thabo N