“Great food - together with an excellent winelist”
Review of 9th Avenue Bistro

9th Avenue Bistro
Ranked #5 of 604 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: twitter: http://twitter.com/9thavenuebistro
Durban, South Africa
“Great food - together with an excellent winelist”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a great experience at 9th Avenue bistro the other night. The food was excellent (they have upped their game since my previous review) and the wine superb.

Those of us who ordered the wildebeest sausage as a starter really enjoyed it (though, to be honest, the flavour of the wildebeest was a little lost).

I did not find their mains to be particularly exciting so I ordered a double portion of the quail as my main. I am very glad I did - it was outstanding!

We had a few bottles of wine - they have something for every pocket (though they need to update the vintages available more often). This is one of the few places that offers a selection of dessert wines by-the-glass - the Vin de Constance went down very smoothly!

A strict vegetarian (bordering on vegan) friend called ahead (as he knew that the soups have a meat stock). They prepared a soup with veg stock just for him - that takes service to a new level. Very impressed.

Durban, South Africa
“Tantalising the taste buds”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

9th Avenue Bistro has an attractive glow about it having a warm and inviting atmosphere that draws you in. You are made to feel both welcome and special through the friendly and efficient service provided by the staff and owners.

Our table had the Sample Tasting Menu which I found to be a real taste savoring experience, not unlike wine tasting that left the taste buds in my mouth screaming for more!

I will certainly be paying them far more frequent visits in the future!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing & Delicious”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

One of the best meals - starter, main & dessert I've had in ages.
Starter - Quail was probably one of the best dishes I've ever had!!

Visited January 2013
“Wonderful dining experience!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Dined here for the first time having read the wonderful reviews.
Superb meal and attentive service. Highly recommended!!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Outstanding food in a so-so setting”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've eaten at 9th Avenue many times (I used to live in Durban), and this January I had my first meal there since the change in ownership/chef.

Luckily, it seems the place is still fantastic. We had a superb meal (though the desserts were a little less good than I remember), and my partner's Springbok fillet starter was among the best dishes either of us has ever eaten. Quite honestly, I've not tasted much that's better than 9th Avenue's best offerings; on this trip we also ate at La Colombe in Constantia, and the food at 9th Avenue wins, narrowly. Just for this it earns five stars; now for the kicker...

The venue and the dining experience were both a little lackluster. The restaurant was really dark and uninviting (we couldn't really see our exquisitely plated meals), the service was good but lacked passion and conviction, and the general aesthetic seemed extremely discordant, given the quality of the food. My partner (an American, eating at 9th Avenue for the first time) said to me after the meal: "Do they not realize just how good their food actually is?".

While I appreciate that sometimes it's nice to find a "hidden gem" of a restaurant in a surprising location, that argument doesn't work here. 9th Avenue has been the best restaurant in Durban for about 8 years running. I wish the whole experience had been as good as the food.

Worst of all: The restaurant finished our wonderful, truly superb R900 meal for two, with two endearmints with the bill. Really? Endearmints? Flabbergasting.

• Visited January 2013