“Great Steak”

Ranked #8 of 627 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, International, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Havana Grill offers an unforgettable dining experience with the combination of great food, an extensive wine selection, humidor for cigars and an environment that is relaxing, yet remains up-market. With views overlooking the ocean, excellent meals and attentive staff Havana Grill is a must when visiting Durban, Suncoast Casino. The restaurant specialises in steaks where they proudly offer grain and grass-fed cuts of meat; as well as seafood, lamb, poultry and game dishes. The wine list and cellar provide a variety of South African wines. Havana Grill is a popular choice for functions and events as the restaurant can be divided into distinct areas; as well as offers two private dining rooms. The restaurant is an ideal meeting place for corporates in the private dining room; or friends enjoying time together over a delicious meal. Havana Grill is open Monday through to Sunday. Lunch is from 12.00pm (kitchen closes at 2.30pm) and the restaurant closes at 5.00pm. Dinner service begins at 6.00pm (kitchen closes at 10.00pm).
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Everything, from the perfectly cooked steak to the light and delicious peppermint crisp tart, was worth the visit. Cocktails are nice too.

There are newer reviews for Havana Grill

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I normally go to this restaurant when I am in Durban. Unfortunately they lost it on my last two visits I will not be Back! If a restaurant gets it wrong once I give them another chance these guys lost it. Of the 5 meals we ordered 3 were okay the other 2 terrible in fact 3 orders were the same and each plate looked different. These guys bank on their position and past reputation. The waitress was very good but had to many tables to serve. Better to try the Butcher Boys on Florida road.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Was here almost every other night for an entire sejour in Durban.
Havana Grill has the best steak period.
Perfectly cooked, served with friez and a delicious mushroom sauce on the side.
You simply can't beat that.
Service is excellent as well.
You gotta eat here if you're in visiting Durban.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Probably our most consistently favourite restaurant in Durban. Been loads if times and never been disappointed. They do what they do well- steaks- but with some extra twists. The nachos are not what you expect and are fab for instance. Go enjoy!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

No meal on Earth is as providently satisfying as an excellent steak and chips. The humble steak is also a subject of debate, delight and potential disappointment.
Enter Havana Grill.
It is one of those glorious restaurants that is so right in every regard that I cannot begin to imagine how it could be improved. For one thing, the decor takes you straight to old world luxury. Leather couches, elaborate yet dim lighting, impossibly tall bookcases and a massive staircase which takes me to my private dining glass box. It is from here that I sit nibbling, looking down at my minions.
Queen of the cows.
It had been a while and we’d been bad swingers, sampling Little Havana of Sandton by the Sea, but I found something was definitely amiss. Not the same.
So we dodged the rats and lowbrowed it through Sun Coast to Highbrow Havana for Saturday lunch. My glass box was waiting and we wasted no time plunging into a happy cow feast.
I opted for the bovine backside from AAA meats, a 29 day aged rump with a blue cheese sauce. The matchstick fries arrive in a bowl on the same plate. At first cut it appeared my medium sprinted to medium-well but I attacked forth anyhow. The flavour of the rump was sublime. Well aged and a maturity not of a worn old tekkie, rather Flintstone’s secret stash.
The meat gushed with juices and shiny, delicious fat.
My voices were loudly arguing over dipping the matchsticks in the blue cheese sauce or letting the Rump take the joy.
Studmuffin and I didn't talk much and I briefly shot a forward glance at his Fillet on the bone. I was predicting a dry tasteless fillet, the usual fillet problem, yet this one was duetting with a Bone marrow and swimming in a Red wine jus atop a large blob of Mash with wilted spinach.
Oh my soul.
Several bites were stolen and the Fillet was both juicy and had that essential fat near the bone. The marrow! …piece de resistance. It left me wanting for more.
I upgraded Studmuffin to ‘Skattebol’ and he agreed to a swop although I initially put my foot down with the blue cheese sauce. It made for happy bonding and we started bartering favours for a dip of jus and blue.
We also had Crumbed Calamari as a starter and I mention it in closing as it’s the cow that had me lyrical. Not to be upstaged though and the Garlic aioli is freshly made with crunchy bits of Onions and Gherkins.
You can choose from grain or grass fed and Havana ages theirs for a minimum of 21 days. It makes for lively grazing banter as to which is best; Grain or Grass fed. I honestly don’t care much as long as the flavours are well matured, like a nineteen ‘voetsek’ old wine.
Service was swift and attentive and my vice is also allowed in the glass box.
Prices are fair at R120 for a 300 gram rump and the 500 gram Fillet mothersticker on the Bone will set you back R160 . I didn't mind one bit.
Neither should you: it’s worth it.