“Two minds”

Olive & Oil - Glenwood
Ranked #5 of 616 Restaurants in Durban
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Whatever the occasion, when dining at Olive & Oil, we aim to imbue our Guests with a sense of well-being and comfort. Our friendly staff will be on hand to indulge you with the finest traditions of the Mediterranean – exceptional food and unrivaled hospitality. Our motto is simple; comfortable food made exceptionally well!
“Two minds”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We always have a very good time at this restaurant. It has a lovely atmosphere and is near some other exciting pubs for an after drink meal. The food has always been splendid. However, my last visit on new year's eve was not the best. I believe that this was a once off and have still marked a healthy 4 for very good. I ordered the crayfish thermidor and found that the two filleted crayfish (the same size) had vastly different amounts of crayfish meat inside. The one crayfish had more cheese inside than anything else. The manager's explanation fell short of what one would expect in these circumstances. I encourage you to visit this restaurant because it is one of the better places you can spend your money in Durban - it is constant and reliable, and this goes for their Hillcrest branch as well. Perhaps crayfish of the same size do have "skinny insides" ;)

1 Thank Andrew_Durban460

Durban, South Africa
“Splendid service and tasty meal”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a get together with our church friends and we enjoyed the meals. The place is secluded and very clean. Will go there again.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Mark B
Tokoroa, New Zealand
“Great place for a meal with old and new friends”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had a great dining experience here last night. James our server did a good job and was very attentive to the needs of our group especially as decisions were made from the extensive list of specials. The tuscan chicken was devine. Will definately dine here again on our next visit to this amazing city. Well done to all!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Graham J
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We went for lunch on the 20th of December 2013. 12 people. From the conduct of our waitron, James, we decided that it must have been his first day on the job. I had to help him take the drinks and mains order and I had to remind him that the kitchen closed at 15H00 (It was 14H20).
The starter platters arrived within 10 minutes along with a few of the drinks. Over the next 45 minutes we received one drink every few minutes but had still not received all of them by 15H15.
By this time 11 of the mains had arrived. One incorrect but the person accepted it anyway. Once again it was quite clear, despite the excuses, that James had messed up the order and not actually placed the order for the last meal. Another 15 minute wait before we could actually start eating when the last meal arrived.
During this time we flagged down 3 other people to ask for help, including the person who turned out to be the Manager on duty. James was no help. We eventually got our drinks just after the last meal arrived.
The only saving grace was that the food was consistent.
I definitely won't be going back anytime soon.

“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I had a very disapointing experience last night (Thursday, 19 Dec 2013) at Olive & Oil Glenwood. I arranged a special birthday dinner for my friend and had chosen this restaurant because I previously enjoyed a delightful dinner there. Planning weeks in advance, I contacted the restaurant and made a reservation. I communicated with Trey and agreed upon a tailor-made 3 course menu, the deposit was paid and a signed confirmation form was emailed. This form stipulated, amongst other things, that we had to confirm the final number a day before the function (via email) and that a 10% gratuity fee will be automatically added to groups of 10 or more.

On Wednesday, the day before the dinner, I sent the email confirming the final number of people attending the function, but no response was received. On arrival at the agreed time, we were surprised by the lack of preparedness. They had prepared a table for 8 patrons instead of the requested 9 and had their regular menu on the table instead of the specially agreed upon menu.

When I went to enquire about what was going on, no one had any idea of the arrangements. They knew nothing about the special menu and after repeating what was arranged, they quickly cobbled together a page with the menu we had previously agreed upon.

The waitress assigned to our table seemed completely out of her depth -- as if it was her first time at the job. We constantly had to try get her attention to receive any sort of service. When requested to open the wine, she looked lost, but struggled valiantly to open one of the bottles. She didn't appear to know how to use the corkscrew and to her credit pried out the cork with brute force. She then disappeared, mumbling that she will find someone else to open the rest for us. We had to wait for the maître d' to eventually do his rounds before again having to request that they open the remaining wine. She performed none of the usual duties such as refilling glasses, etc. It was a breathtakingly underwhelming performance.

This was unfortunately not where the fiasco ended. While the starter was excellent, with the main course, the steak appeared to be hastily prepared. The medium-to-rare was blue-rare and the medium-to-well was beyond well-done. This could be understandable given that it was a very busy night for the kitchen, but the desert provided the cherry on the proverbial cake. The Choc Chip Dom Pedro's that were ordered appeared to be vanilla milkshakes with a some Nuttikrust cookies sprinkled in them. When we called the manager's bluff regarding their creative use of the terms "Dom Pedro" and "Choc Chip", we were given shots of Kahlua on the house -- which provided a bitter-sweet end to the evening. Or so I thought.

When the bill arrived, there was no reference made of the R720 deposit that I had paid. If I hadn't already been on my guard, I would have been overcharged by this amount. A 10% gratuity was also included without my consent. When I queried this, the manager was adamant that this was charged for all tables with 8 or more people -- it apparently said so on the menu, a document that I had neither signed or had been provided for my perusal. Given the substandard waitering and overall service, I had no intention of giving such a generous tip.

Needless to say, all members of the group will think twice about visiting this establishment again. Olive & Oil Glenwood certainly made it a memorable evening with their unprofessional service.

5 Thank coucoutjie