“The most friendly and helpful people we know!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smith's Cottage

Smith's Cottage
Ranked #4 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Durban
Antwerp, Belgium
“The most friendly and helpful people we know!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed at Smith's Cottage for 8 days, initially we planned to stay 4 days, just to take care of our van (which was shipped over from Belgium). Because there were problems in the port, we had to stay longer. But apart from the problems with our van, it wasn't so hard. The owners, Keith and Pat, helped us out where they could. Keith drove us around Durban to get new tools, a fridge, take care of other important stuff; while Pat defended us like a lioness by every person she know.
The place is great, the dorm is really clean and the swimming pool is great for an early fresh start or an evening dip. The owners have great advice about Durban city and they took us on a beachtrip and did a little sight-seeing tour. We arrived as strangers, but left as friends. Great place and lovely people!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Couscouscurry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
La Plata, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed with Pat and Keith on two occasions during a months stay in SA and felt like family by the time I left. Wonderful people!!! I have kept in touch and would go back without hesitation. The accommodations are clean and well maintained, but what makes this place wonderful is them - people who have the right attitude to have this kind of business and so much local knowledge, that they can answer questions for any kind of traveler. I have traveled all over the world and this is the kind of place that I strive to find wherever I go yet so rarely find. I miss my Rooibos tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I was glad to have found this place through Trip Advisor. Although I was there in January which is technically still high season, I had the room to myself. it was spotlessly clean, as were the bathroom and kitchen facilities. I had a very warm welcome and felt very comfortable staying there. It is set in a lovely residential neighborhood very close to the Berea / Morningside / Florida Rd. where all the most interesting restaurants, shops and nightlife is to be found. Also within a 10 minute drive to downtown. It is recommended to have a car if you are staying here as I would imagine public transportation would be an issue. I felt safe there (although there was no electrical fence or locked gate - I was reassured that they have never had a problem) and it was a nice feature to have a 24 hour guard posted across from the entrance. He was quite friendly and pointed me in the right direction - must have looked confused as I came although everything was well-signposted. Pool is inviting as well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

Pat and Keith are very friendly and welcoming, but there's nothing really special about staying here. The price is comparable to other backpacker places in the area, but the location is out of the way. There is nothing of interest within walking distance, not even a simple restaurant or cafe. It's fine if you have time to spend in Durban, but if you're only in town for a few days I would recommend staying somewhere more centrally located.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Barrie Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

This is an excellent place to stay in Durban. The facilities are great with an outdoor bar/patio with pool. The hosts are so accommodating. They got us all set up with maps and information about the city and surrounding areas. They offer a very cheap shuttle service to the downtown core. They even invited us to join them when they were going out for dinner at the new Zulu casino. If I was going to Durban again....this is where we would stay, no question.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TartanSoul
Hørsholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

Smiths cottage was our savior, we were so screwed, when we finalley came to Durban! My girlfriend had a surfing accident and desperateley needed surgery, my credit card was copyed and closed, and of course my girlfriends card was eaten by an ATM, we had like 100 R left, and nowhere to go! Kieth the owner of Smiths Cottage gave us credit, where most people would have shown us the gate, he spend hours and hours helping us with western Union, wich is not easy in ZA, he took us to the hospital severel time, gave us food! The whole place was like a famely, everyone was so incredible nice Gary, and Lia and the kids was wonderfull! Keiths wife was in hospital getting lifesaving operations, but the most amazing thing was that he had the energy to help us aswell!
I cant imagining my self any other place being so warm and open, thank U for saving Us and for rescuing the rest of hour travel, love and eternal grattitude from Jan and Anneli Denmark

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Alness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

We booked with Smiths Cottage at the recommendation of a friend who had stayed there. It as brilliant at the end of our youth exchange trip to South AFrica. We were all exhausted but Garry, Lia and Keith were like old friends even although we had only had email contact with them prior to this stay. Staying there was like a home from home. They ran around for us to make sure we had everything we needed and were comfortable. Cant wait to go back sometime as much to spend time with themselves as to stay in their lovely accommodation / home. Thankyou to the Smiths from the Alness girls exchange group.

• Stayed August 2010