“Excellent backpackers”

Gibela Backpackers Lodge
Ranked #6 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Durban
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Everything you need - clean, quiet, comfortable for a reasonable price

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Gibela Backpackers Lodge

Reviewed August 23, 2009

Gibela is a clean, beautiful with tons of atmosphere close to the ABSA stadium (and soon to be finished new Moses Mabhida Stadium). We felt at home from the minute we walk through the gate, it has a great backpacker feel with all the trimmings of a modern lodge. The staff are very friendly and with an “chilled” attitude that puts you in the holiday mood. Our rooms were clean and comfortable and always made up when we got back after a night out. I felt we got value for money and will certainly go back when visiting Durban again.. Good work

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Good recommendation. Clean and comfortably. near to the city. Safe and nice.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I made a reservation for double room -
According to the webpage says
"Upstairs Bedroom 7 & 8
2 bathrooms with a shower, basin and toilet in each "

Thats is not true at all since the bathrom was shared for the whole storey. I spoke to the manager by phone and he didn't accept what the webpage says that. In my opinion in bad manners.

Apart from that, the staff is very helpful, especially Ciry who helped us and gave us a lot of tips of Durban.

Downstairs is somewhat noisy , since every night a group of 10 young people emptied the supermarket that was closeby to get hammered there.

The cleaningless is acceptable and relatively close to Florida rd with good restaurants

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carletes
Gibela, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2009

In our 6 years of existence we have never had en-suite rooms. I'm not clear on where or which site the guest saw that we offer en-suite rooms.

Reviewed December 5, 2007

I stayed at this place for 3 nights. The host is extremely helpful, and always available to assist.
Location was excellent, well secured, good safe parking, close to main highways, close to Florida St for restaurants. A Spar grocery store is also nearby. The beach was a 5-7 minute drive.

The atmosphere in the location was relaxed.... people were nice and friendly, a lot of opportunities to socialize, but also space to do your own thing. The accommodations were adequate, also very clean. Breakfast was also good. I would strongly recommend this hostel, and if I came back to Durban, I would certainly consider staying here again

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank odnelson
Reviewed November 11, 2007

It was the first backpacker in our life and now, after beeing in some others I can say, it was really the best! The rooms are very nice and useful decorated with ethnic décor throughout an there were really good beds! The "dining room" outside was very beautyful and there was all, what you need for a good breakfast. The bathroom was wonderful and just beside our room, so it was good even for (a little bit) old Ladies. The whole house was very clean! There were nice people, we met and I was glad over the internet possibility, where you can baz-bus things arrange and look for your e-mails. Elmar was very kind and told us all, we need, to go to different nice places, without any danger. We felt ourselves very safe in this backpacker. So we spend wonderful 3 days in Durban. Only for me personally it was only not so nice, that you may not smoke anywhere. But it was not so bad

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed November 10, 2007

I had the pleasure to stop at the Gibela Backpackers Lodge during my solo backpacking trip to South Africa, and I have to admit it was one of the best places I stayed at. Clean, quiet, friendly and perfectly located to grab a bite or catch a bus. I have already recommended it!

Stayed: September 2007