“Great staff, great -and safe - location, beautiful garden!”

Gibela Backpackers Lodge
Ranked #8 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Durban
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed at Gibela for a few nights in June, and it was really quiet with only me there for some of the time. But it was a quiet period, and the few others who stayed were great! The staff was super friendly and helpful, and the house, rooms and bathrooms were perfectly clean. The beds in the dorms are comfortable and you have your own safe in the room. The garden and pool is beautiful!

It's a short walk to Florida road with great restaurants, and there's a big supermarket where they have everything you need, and a laundromat (drop&go laundry) on the corner. The area is safe to walk in.

I injured my knee when I was there so unfortunately I didn't get to explore much of the area or Durban. The owner and the other 3 who worked there went on to do what they could to help me out, from recommending a hospital to ordering pizza for dinner so I didn't have to go out. The owner even helped me out after I got home with some hospital-related issues. So a big thanks to all of you!

I would recommend Gibela to anyone going to Durban! And hopefully I will be back myself!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank UnexpectedDreamer
Elmar Owner Gib... D, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Hello Mona
Many thanx for taking the time to write your review on Gibela.
It was unfortunate that you had to cut your visit to SA short and we do hope to see you back again. We do strive to meet our guests satisfaction on all levels - even with after stay customer care. We were fortunate to have you as a guest for an extended period which gave you the opportunity the explore and experience Gibela during busy and quiet times.
Wishing you a speedy recovery and many more happy miles of travelling.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed here for a few days after spending a few days at a hotel near the beach. The area is calmer, which was appreciated. The hostel itself has very nice grounds, so it's a pleasant place to hang out. This is one of the cleanest hostels I have ever seen. I was in a double room, and it was a decent size with some space to hang up clothes and store luggage. I was surprised that it was serviced every day (beds made, etc.), which I am not used to seeing at hostels. The breakfasts were nice - lots of fresh fruit. The owner was also very helpful, and knows a lot about the city. He is definitely a 'suffer no fools' kinda guy, but he was nothing but polite and helpful towards me and my partner. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvia B
Elmar Owner Gib... D, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Many thanx for taking the time to write your review.
It is very rewarding for the Gibela Team when guest appreciate what we put into the establishment. Time and time again it is proven that those who take the time to too explore and experience not just Gibela Lodge but also Durban in general are blown away on what is on offer. One such "extra" we offer is servicing the room daily as well as replacing towels every second day. These are the "luxuries" the one night wonders just don't seem to comprehend as they don't experience it.
Also sharing our endless knowledge on Durban is only appreciated if guest actually spend enough time in the city to get to know the hidden treasures we expose them to - but yes as you mentioned this is wasted on a 3 hour visit to Durban.
I guarantee you our service one year later is as you experienced it.
Happy travels !!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Overall a very good experience; Cyril as well as the owner took great care of us and were always willing to give recommendations or call a cab to get us around Durban. The rooms were very nice and clean, breakfasts were good and the grounds were very quaint. Lots of space to chill as well as meet fellow lodgers. And having safes in the room made us feel very secure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Elmar Owner Gib... D, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Great to hear that you found both the staff and management top notch - thank-you !!
Also rewarding to hear that our facilities, cleanliness and spacious surroundings get your approval.
Home to welcome you back @ Gibela again.
Thx
Elmar

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I returned here after a fortnight travelling around South Africa, and it was great to come back. The rooms are immaculate and the cleaning staff are all lovely. The owner was helpful and the beds comfortable. There's also a small kitchen/utensils to use. Thanks for a relaxing couple of days!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Elmar Owner Gib... D, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Always great to have returning clientele and they experience the consistent standards. Many thanx for giving us the thumbs up !!
Happy travels !!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Great hostel, especially by South African standards. Comparable to top hostels in Europe. It's clear that the owner has thought of the little things and works to continuously improve things. Hostel is very clean with little rules written everywhere (as mentioned in other reviews), which I thought was a good thing because it helps keep things clean and well maintained.

Really nice lounge area outside with small wading pool. Breakfast was excellent (cereal, yogurt, fruit, toast, coffee). Social atmosphere was a bit dead while I was there, but it was off-season. No locks on doors but safes are provided so it's not an issue. Bottom bunks are a bit claustrophobic (you can’t sit up in your bed), but lots of little lounge areas (indoor and outdoor) for sitting around mean you don't really need to sit on your bed much. Multiple bathrooms meant you never had to wait, and they were kept very clean. Location is a bit far from the beach and CBD, but being near Florida Rd is great for nightlife and a Superspar is just down the street.

Owner seemed a bit gruff at first, but was actually very nice and helpful. Make use of the map showing what areas are safe. I was hesitant to use public transit and walk around myself (being new to South Africa), but the clear instructions from the owner gave me confidence in doing so.

Wifi was free and worked 24 hrs in lounge area, but annoying, with codes for 100 MB of usage that seemed to run out before you actually used 100 MB (per my data tracker). More codes were provided.

Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank PolarBear777

We appreciate the to the point review on Gibela. I don't think I could have said it more professionally. By the write-up you gave us it seems you spent a few days at Gibela and had the time to get the feel of the " Gibela Experience". Our little notes ensure that all guests have an equal experience and it works for most. Wi-Fi is hassle free for most phones but depending on settings individual devices don't always easily connect to internet in South Africa.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Gibela offers all the amenities the flashpacker could wish for. The owner/manager may look a little grumpy, but he is actually very helpful and attentive.
The rates are above the average backpackers' going rate in Durban, but my stay was definitely worth it.
Excellent continental breakfast included.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Giant J
Elmar Owner Gib... D, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Grumpy - that's a first, hope its not my new look since I started wearing spectacles, or maybe it's not even me. Other than this you seem to have enjoyed your "flash-packer" experience at Gibela. Reading your reviews about your visits to the city it seem you give Durban a thumbs up !! Thank-you.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This well organised,verry clean and friendly hostel is really a nice place to stay in Durban. It is pleasant quite there and coincidental close to the "Floridaroad". The way to the beach ist also not to far and a supermarket is very close to the Hostel. Elmar has a answer to every question, like how to get anywhere, locations, shops... He offers an great breakfast in an nice dining room next to the very clean Pool. When we will come back to Durban, we also will come back to this excellent Backpackers.

Room Tip: The kitchen of the Hostel is on the first floor - may be this will be a creterion. The rooms are in...