“A Lovely Backpackers”

Gibela Backpackers Lodge
Ranked #8 of 82 Specialty Lodging in Durban
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This was my first stay at a Backpackers and I would recommend this place to everyone. The hostel is clean and the owner Elmer is very patient, very helpful and very knowledgeable about Durban. The breakfasts are good, the place very secure and a good nights sleep assured.
I have to say when I stayed the place was a chilled out, quiet place which suited me fine, but I understand this might not be to everyone's taste. I had the single room which was great as this meant I had the whole corridor almost to myself. Thanks Elmer for all the advice and help

Room Tip: I had a single room which was great. It is next to the toilet so may be a little noisier if the back...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Chrissy_1802
Gibela, Owner at Gibela Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Good to hear that you found the Gibela touch refreshing. Yes you right with not being a party hostel - we definately try to give guest a quiet peaceful stay where they can have a good nights sleep after a night out.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

We've just had six nights at Gibela and I don't think we could have found a better base for our stay in Durban. Elmar, the owner, is helpful, and eager to share his knowledge of the city. We really appreciated the wealth of accurate, clear, factual info available about what to see and do locally. We opted for one of the twin rooms, which was comfortable, immaculately clean, and had the kind of character that doesn't always come at a backpackers' place. In fact, those things were true for all areas of Gibela that we saw: the shared kitchen and bathrooms, the various seating areas, and the breakfast room. This is definitely not a party hostel, which was a big plus for us. It's the kind of place where it's very easy to relax for a few days but the location means that attractions in the city are within safe, pleasant walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DobberBird
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed in two double rooms and found the place very clean, tastefully furnished/decorated and inviting. The receptionist was friendly and professional. As a downside though, when reception closes in the evening there seems to be no access to either the bar, the internet or TV so it might not be the place of choice for the fun-seeking. The kitchen was very clean but pretty small. There is enough communal space to hang-out. The location is superb with Florida Rd within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank weirddoc
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed at Gibela over a long weekend in a 6-bed dorm and can thoroughly recommend it.

The house is set in the most lovely garden and there is plenty of comfortable communal space to enjoy. Amenities include 2 dinner tables and lounging areas (inside and out), a well-equipped (and clean!) kitchen, plenty of showers and lots of hot water, a selection of up to date guide books and visitor suggestions to reference, internet - at a price - and an inclusive breakfast that stretches beyond the usual dodgy-toast-and-jam combo so common to backpackers. The manager is incredibly helpful and sat me down as soon as I arrived with a (free) map, indicating safe areas and local restaurants and bars. You are within spitting distance of Florida Road and a nice, easy 25 minute walk down to the beaches (I challenge anyone to get lost). There's also a Spar across the road, so you can pick up groceries with ease. The whole hostel is extremely clean and well looked-after and you can quite happily spend an evening there, chilling out. And they don't do irritating things like charging you corkage on alcohol bought from outside the hostel.

While my visit was during the quieter winter months, it is definitely not a party hostel and would probably best suit an older crowd more interested in polishing off a bottle of wine as the sun sets than those looking to get wasted every night. Be warned, too, that there is no smoking anywhere on the property, save a small spot by the entrance gates (though safely inside the hostel complex), and, weirdly, they don't seem to have any double beds. It is more expensive then other backpacker options you might find, but I certainly felt I got value for money over my stay and would happily go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Otter98
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I really enjoyed this backpackers. It was very clean and the rooms were comfortable and nice. The host was most helpful and willing and eager to answer our many questions. It is a relaxed and comfortable place and so nice to have breakfast included.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We spent 4 days in this Boutique Backpackers and we had a very good time. The rooms, the public areas, the garden are spotless clean. The kitchen is well equipped, breakfast was good and plenty of choice. The owner is an amazing person always kind and helpful with a lot of information to give. It is located just a couple of minutes from Florida Rd in a safe and green area close to supermarket, shops, restaurants and bar.
Great Experience!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My brother booked us into this Guesthouse while we were in Durban for the FIFA World Cup. I was expecting the usual youth hostel type of experience but it was anything but. The villa is bright, extremely clean, well appointed and very user friendly. It is conveniently located in a very safe suburb, close to an entertainment strip with many fantastic restaurants and bars.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the proprietor, Elmar, was always on hand to provide useful advice and good company. My brother, husband and I just loved our stay there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family