“Very pretty great location”

Goble Palms Guest Lodge & Urban Retreat
Ranked #1 of 256 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 22, 2010

We stayed here when arriving in Durban at the start of our holiday. Great location to get your bearings on the City and a good location for the motorways to head out and about.

Rooms were beautiful very good service and breakfast was very good iwth a lot of variety.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Goble Palms is the perfect place to stay in Durban. Beautiful old buildings, green plush gardens and gorgeous colonial style furnishings. The team of staff are always friendly and willing to help and make you feel relaxed and welcome.
So central to restaurants, shopping centres and beaches. A wonderful oasis in the city - we loved it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My friend and I stayed at Goble Palms for a few nights during the World Cup. The atmosphere at the guest house was amazing and the pub down stairs allowed us to socialise with the other guests from all the other countries. There are so many restaurants, pubs other attractions near by that my friend and I were able to get around Durban with ease. The staff would make dinner reservations for us without any hassle and their recommondations were always brilliant! Leanne and Lionel are great hosts with a team of staff ready to help at all times. The rooms are really beautiful with personal touches to add that "home away from home" feel. We made use of the spa treatments which can be organised by appointment and after all our travelling, it was just what we needed.

We were able to walk down to the stadium and felt perfectly safe. Definately worth a visit if you want a warm welcome, central location and value for money. I honestly loved my stay at Goble Palms, the highlight of my trip around South Africa.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Duped, Conned, Swindled… call it what you may. I booked this inn 6 months in advance and paid in FULL for two rooms for a 5 night stay. Never saw the place, never received so much as a call or email from the owner (see other review from fellow cheated traveler – at least he had advanced warning). My three sons and I showed up at the airport and were shoved a packet of information with a letter from the “proprietor” saying that she was putting us at an adjacent property because she had overbooked. When someone books 6 months in advance and PREPAYS, you would think that would GUARANTEE ROOMS. Obviously the driver was in cahoots with her because he started blathering on about how she wasn’t going to charge us ANY EXTRA for this upgrade. WHAT NERVE!
The property she put us up turned out to be fine for my family who are very adaptable – but what choice did we have at that point (during the WORLD CUP no less). But it was the private home of someone who lived on the property and also had dogs. For many who don’t enjoy the bed & breakfast atmosphere and may be allergic and fearful of dogs this could have been disastrous! The proprietor never ONCE called to check on us, never once came by to apologize, and never made any concessions at all for our inconveniences. And on top of all this, I have now discovered two erroneous charges on my credit card from her “establishment” since I have been home – 3 weeks now! There are uglier details to this story and I would be glad to share them if you care to email me. This is a VERY DISHONEST woman and business. There are many wonderful and honest businesses to support in this incredible city and country – give them your business instead!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank KimTO
goblepalms, Owner at Goble Palms Guest Lodge & Urban Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

It is with tremendous regret that I read how unhappy the reviewer was as this was never my intention at all for her and her family. I certainly never intended for her to feel cheated or conned in any way. The monies that were deducted from the guest's card were for airport transfers and transport - the costs of which were advised to the reviewer and agreed upon. There are no other monies whatsoever that were deducted incorrectly.
It was necessary for us to transfer these guests over this period as we had been undertaking renovations and improvements to two of our rooms that were, despite our very best efforts and firm assurances from our contractors ( and I can assure you that this was very upsetting for us indeed) just not complete in time.
The property where the reviewer was accommodated is not a private home but a luxury guest house ( just around the corner from us ) that is graded by the official grading council of South Africa. This lodge has been administered and managed by myself over this period and the accommodation is extremely luxurious and the owner / host has given our guests an incredibly high level of personal and professional service.
I did, as did my assistant, follow up with the host several times and was assured that our guests were extremely happy and well looked after. I did invite the reviewer to contact me at any time should my assistance be required.
I have owned and managed my Guest Lodges for nearly ten years and our continued success is testament to the fact that the well-being of our guests and the quality of their accommodations of utmost importance to us.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I have recently been to Globe Palms during the WC with my wife and another couple friend. I must say that if you want to stay on this beautiful city and feel as you are at home, this os the place to be. We have loved the property. The rooms are big and huge for europeans patterns. The toilles are beautiful, the property gardens gorgeous , and the staff fantastic. Leanne treated us as kings, and if we could we would tale Mr Vicent home. But since Brazil is far from Durban, we surely can't do this. There is allways someone supervising the car Park, all very kind. I have the impression that kwala zulu people are the most polite and sympatetic popullation in the world. The house is gorgeous and the decoration beatiful. Sorry for the bad taste of someone who writed down here. Essenwood road, very near, has excellent restaurants like the unforgerable SPICE. Leanne arranged an. Extra stay in one of the other properties for two extra days, and the house was also fantastic. We just have to thank all the staff , mainly Mr. Lionel, who treated us as their sons. I hope I visit globe palms in the future

Reviewed June 30, 2010

I had booked by travel to Durban (for my father and I) about 3 months early, in order to secure rooms while I was there watching the World Cup. I had pre-paid GB in full upon request, in order to secure the rooms.

Unfortunately, about 2-3 days before I was due to arrive in Durban, I received an email from the guest house, informing me that due to 'incomplete renovations', they would not be able to fulfill my booking.

Although to its credit they tried to help by securing alternate accommodation at 2 separate guest houses (for 2 separate periods of stay), the damage was already done. In my view, if they did not have the rooms available (or if there was a risk they would not be available) during my period of stay, they should NOT have accepted by reservation or indeed, have demanded payment in full. To only inform me a few days before my arrival was irresponsible, and a near nightmare for me and my father.

Goble Palms assured me that the other two guest houses they had secured would be of equivalent standard. This I will never know as I did not have the opportunity to stay at Goble Palms after they reneged on my booking. I can say however that while one of the guest houses was excellent, the other was very poor indeed - you can see my other reviews on The Neuk and eMakhosini on tripadvisor.com

• Stayed: June 2010
3  Thank zenith42
Reviewed November 19, 2009

What an amazing place to stay whilst in Durban! Leanne and Lionel have a beautiful place with great staff! The whole place is like something out a House and Gardens Magazine. We stayed in a Superior Room which was like home away from home! Personal touches like homemade cookies and magazines in the room made this stay special. We slept like babies during our stay and nothing was too much trouble for the staff! The English pub with the honesty bar was a great feature.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business