“Elegant and charming”

Goble Palms Guest Lodge & Urban Retreat
Ranked #2 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
“Elegant and charming”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful old mansion made into guest rooms. Elegant, classic furnishing. Excellent service and lovely breakfast setting and food. My only improvement could be flat screen Ty's as the ones they have are old fashioned. Great for passing travelers and business people - not really a tourist spot but very convenient to everything in Durban.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here when we were working as doctors up in rural KZN. For the year we were working in South Africa Goble Palms became a home from home. There was no keeping us away!

The hotel is absolutely stunning. We stayed in almost every room in the place and they are all beautifully made up. Really lovely old colonial/ boutique styling. All the rooms were always clean. Most of the rooms have amazing roll top baths and all have seriously good showers. There was always a pot of delicious home-baked cookies and good selection of tea and coffee in the room.

The staff are fantastic. Vincent, in particular, is a great manager who is always keen to please- nothing is too much trouble. The owners Leanne and Lionel are always around and incredibly welcoming and friendly. Apparently the B&B started as their house several years ago and has gone from strength to strength. Finally they had to move out to make room for all the visitors! They now live just up the road.

The place is really boutique, romantic and peaceful. It is a real urban retreat/ hideaway and has lovely swimming pool too! Location great for visiting the range of good restaurants in Morningside/ Florida Road. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious every time! Wifi and air-conditioning always reliable.

This place is a real treat. A beautifully designed, relaxed boutique hotel with friendly staff and owners. We cannot recommend the place highly enough! We will really miss our weekends at Goble Palms!

Best wishes,

Kuki and Matt

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Gobel Palms is a fantastic choice if you are looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay in Durban. The staff are exceptionally friendly and incredibly helpful. Our room was comfortable and clean and there were lots of little 'touches' that made it a memorable experience - 'good night' chocolates, a small glass of cherry waiting for us in our room after an evening out as well as copious books and magazines to read. Breakfast was lovely (the standard cereal, fruit, juice, eggs, bacon etc) but well presented and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. They also have a pub, so if someone is visiting you and not staying, you can have somewhere to sit, where you are comfortable. The B&B itself is beautiful - old colonial style that has been renovated. I would definately recommend staying here for the location (close enough to restaurants), friendly staff and warm atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The description of “a beautiful Edwardian Lodge, set high up on the ridge, overlooking the sea, in Morningside” was more than enough for me and I made my cheerful way to Goble Palms during mid-winter in ever mild and sunny Durban.

A Regency girl at heart, I was not disappointed by the grand scale of the rooms, high windows and double doors. True to their slogan “Contemporary Colonial Comfort”, the decor at Goble palms is opulent, rich and embracing. Oversized furniture matches the spaciousness of the rooms, while colonial taupe brushed linen curtains and blinds provide a calming effect. Soft white cottons are offset against dark wooden furniture. Gilded lamp stands and carved golden mirrors punctuate the look with glamour.

What I love about Goble Palms:
• Interconnected Edwardian buildings with a clever use of space and rooms facing different directions
• Conveniently situated in a quiet, green suburb and high on a hill, but with easy access to Durban central or Durban North
• A multitude of verandahs and patios make the most of every aspect of the Durban sunshine and sea breezes
• High windows, double doors and spacious rooms feel light and airy despite their size
• Ball and claw baths face onto windows and green palms
• Thick carpets, comfy couches, tiled bathrooms and cool white cotton linen
• Friendly and professional staff
• Complementary sherry and Amarula liquor

Accommodation Experience:
I have heard it said that an extrovert draws energy from being with people, whereas an introvert draws energy from time alone. Goble Palms certainly caters for both – for the extroverts it is well placed near the trendy restaurants and clubs of Florida Road, while the manor house itself has plentiful indoor and outdoor seating areas, creating small and larger sociable spaces in which to gather and process the day’s adventures in the company of others. However, I fall into the latter category, and after a week of intensive training, I am seeking solitude and stillness to recharge my social batteries.

I am delighted to find my room both private and open to the lovely rustling palms. I partake in a strange, furtive dance, sneaking between my room and the communal lounge to swap mammoth, delectable decor books. I spend a happy, calm few hours enjoying the books, my favourite music and the cool Durban breeze from my open double doors and bay windows. As dark falls, the glow of my bedside lamps create a halo effect of my four-poster mosquito net, contributing to the tranquil haven. As my stress levels decrease, I can indeed feel my creative and outgoing energy rising and soon I will be ready to go out into the world again with enthusiasm and zest – but perhaps not quite yet ...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tanga
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was a superb find, and I would recommend it unreservedly. The staff, comfort level, breakfast all fantastic... I needed to move rooms only because the wifi was not great in the comfortable room I was in, this was accomplished quickly with grace and no fuss! I had a car so ate out, but there are several places to eat within easy walking distance. Amazing decor and thoughtful touches made it more special, being a hotel owner myself, the 'extra mile' gone was very evident and much appreciated!

Room Tip: I was in room 17, which was very comfortable, only that the wifi was a little irregular, which I nee...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank steve192
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week on business and I highly recommend it! Staff was very helpful, hotel was well kept and the morning breakfast was great. There were only a few places to eat within walking distance which was my only issue with the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Erin042781
Paris, France
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Lionel and all the employees of this nice and romantic Victorian style B&B are very nice and helpful to help u discover Durban ! The rooms are very comfortable and very cosy. The breakfast is the best we have ever had in SA (we have slept in many B&B in this country and can do comparison!) with delicious fresh fruit salad, muffins, eggs/bacon/mushrooms/tomatoes, tea/coffee, yoghurt, cereals, jam, ham and cheese. It is very well located in the Morning side, close to the greatest Indian restaurant (Indian connexion) which will be for sure your cantine for the stay !

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms which are in the back of the house ! U will enjoy the Terrasse and above all, peac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple