“Our rating has dropped from very good to average”
Review of Suncoast Towers

Suncoast Towers
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have stayed at the Suncoast in the past but each time for just one night and the experience was good. This time we stayed for three nights and we didn't enjoy the stay as much. We ate at the restaurant and had curry mutton twice - first time was five-star second dinner not so good as there were different chefs. We ended up eating at Havana Grill which was a better experience. The breakfasts were, however, very good.

The standard rooms have narrow little box windows so the view is not great. The deluxe rooms on the end have the great views but you pay a lot more for them. If we stay at the Maharani we get standard rooms with wonderful panoramic views from spacious rooms and consistantly good food at the Piatta restaurant. In future our Durban trips will be at the Maharani.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and to provide me with feedback on your stay with us.

I am so sorry that your stay was less than perfect. I am delighted that your first stay with us was amazing as you are aware of the standard we try and achieve consistently.

Your comments will be shared with the team.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I can see this hotel being good for a holiday because it is located on the beach and the services are great. However, I was attending a conference and I stayed here because it was one of the conference-recommended hotels.

Pros:
Location is great. Situated close to the beach with a direct access.
Breakfast is scrumptious.
Pool area is clean and well-kept.

Cons:
Internet is horrible. There is a bandwidth limit per day and you can only get limited number of devices on a connection and you have to pay for extra devices. It feels like I am back in 1990 when internet was limited.
The internet situation may not bother some people, but it is extremely frustrating when you are on a business visit and cannot even check email without having to come downstairs to get a signal.
The bathroom set up is weird. It is a glass bathroom, so you have to be comfortable with your partner/ spouse if you are sharing the room. As much as I love my spouse, I think shower time is personal and not left to be open-viewing.

Overall, I feel this hotel works well if you are on holiday, but it is not a good choice for business visits.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank The_Nomadic_Doctor

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us.
We have addressed your concerns regarding the internet service and the bathroom setup and know your constructive criticism enables us to grow and provide consistent good service.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel and casino is located just a few meters from the beach, on Durban's famous Golden Mile. I had a large and very comfortable room with a fantastic view. The breakfast was plentiful, and it could be enjoyed outside, next to the pool. Free wifi internet on top of this, made me a very satisfied hotel guest.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PHR67
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, the facilities and the good service.

We are looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went to the hotel on a business trip. Arrived early and the friendly staff assisted in giving me a room on a higher floor with a better view of the ocean. The room was clean and offered everything one could ask for. Very modern.
The service was fantastic from the bar, to room service to breakfast.
A great stay and I will be back

Room Tip: An ocean view is a must. The higher floors are better
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Earle W
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am glad to see that we could assist you with your early check-in. It is vital for us to make our guest's stay as comfortable as possible and to assist them where we possibly can.

Thank you for commenting on the good service received - I will share your feedback with the team.

We look forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Durban is a very busy and sometimes frustrating place to visit. Their are so many Beautyful things to see and do, but best of all was our stay at the fantastic hotel.

We stayed with this hotel last year and again this year, We would have to rate them 10 out of 10. The whole experience was fantastic from checking in to checking out. The facilities within the hotel are first class. They have a pool area with a bar, where we have spent many an afternoon sipping Piña Coladas and swimming, the service given by Batanya and Rakesh has been exceptional on each of our visits. The restaurants, and bars on site from bisto, casual to fine dining, can not be faulted and deserves to be complmented at all levels. ALL staff within the Hotel greet you and treat you like a special friend. Nothing is too much trouble for any staff member at any level. The General manager is always around talking to guests and asking their opinion to see if there is anything they can improve on or do better. he is genuininely interested in your opinion. Our stay this time was without a doubt the best accomodation we have ever experienced around the world, and look forward to our return next trip. please note that this hotel does not have family rooms and i would suggest taking a premier or executive suite not a standard room as it is a bit small

Room Tip: premier and executive are suites with balcony overlooking the pool and the occean and you can smoke...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed so many of our facilities and the good service offered by our friendly staff.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel was nice, great location and the staff were all very friendly and helpful, however the rooms really aren't designed for women, not really designed for sharing either. First of all the bathroom is not a separate room, it's right in the room, with a shower stall in one corner, a toilet cubby in the other and the sink in between. You would have to be pretty intimate with your roommate to feel comfortable sharing this room. Also, there was no full length mirror, only 4 hangars in the closet and the hair dryer barely came out of the drawer far enough to dry my hair.
The full breakfast was great, the grounds are lovely, and as I said the service was good, but the rooms leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank StephanieMcA

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so sorry that you found our standard rooms not convenient. May I please ask that you visit our website and have a look at the other component of the property that we can offer which is the deluxe rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back and I would be delighted to personally assist you with the perfect room, to make sure that you experience a good and comfortable stay.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Every time I stay at Suncoast Hotel, I feel like the only guest in there - that's how the staff makes me feel! They are literally at your beck and call, no request is too much trouble and it's done with a smile. Every visit is better than the last one - Suncoast is definitely my favourite 'hangout' in Durbs!

Room Tip: Try the Premium Suite!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback following your stay with us. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay including the attentive and friendly team members.
I hope that it will not be too long before we will have the pleasure of being able to welcome you back to Suncoast Hotels for another memorable visit.