“An Unforgetable Experience that Created Wonderful Memories”
Review of Suncoast Towers

Suncoast Towers
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Durban
“An Unforgetable Experience that Created Wonderful Memories”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I recently hosted a 60th birthday celebration at the Suncoast Hotel for my dad. My experience was incredible from the management assistance to the food and service my guests and myself received. On the day of my celebration, we were welcomed by a host of well spoken waitrons whom guided my guests to their tables, the F&B management team were present through out my function ensuring that all our needs were met. The service was amazing, drinks never to be asked for as the waitrons were offering drinks timelessly. Unforgetable would be an understatement for the delcious food that was on the menu. The butter chicken curry, definitely a must have at the hotel.... my guests were so impressed and still are talking about the food. Thank you to the team at Suncoast.. definitely a place to visit!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kaliq E, General Manager at Suncoast Towers, responded to this review, March 25, 2013

Kaliq Essop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jerusalem District, Israel
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I was so disappointed with the hotel overall, it claims to be a 4/5 star hotel, however you do not derserve this rating. The rooms are tiny and very intimate. Not ideal for friends or family sharing a room, no bathroom privacy and no space. My PLASTIC glass was not changed for the three nights that we were checked in; I used the glass on the first day. Also, the fitted sheet had a fungus growing on it. We received inadequate towels, no hair shampoo/conditioner, shower gel or body lotion. There was not even capped wifi offered to guests. I've stayed in 4/5 stars hotels all over the world and definitely have a feel for what a first class hotel offers. We spent between R1500 and R1400 a night at the Durban Suncoast Hotel and Towers,we received nothing for this high rate, not even private beach access. I have received better amenities at hotels that have a lower rating and that are much cheaper. The rating of the hotel should either be downgraded and it should start charging less or perhaps consider offering your guests more value for money. .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sholeen m

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 24, 2011

When walking into this hotel I was quite excited. Then I saw the hotel room!!! Literally you walked and to the left was the toilet cabinet and facing that was the enclosed shower that was completely see through (so no guests or friends waiting for you while you change or get ready), and no bath tub. Also the rooms were ridiculously small for the price.
On the upside, service great and the baby sitter that they provided who worked on staff there, Cebi, was excellent with my 6-yr old daughter. The hotel is LITERALLY on the beach. you walked out of the yard and BAM!! there is the beach!
Also the hotel has ample parking and is well located to various sites such as the convention center and Usahaka marine world. The hotel is connected to the casino which has a great food court with KFC, Indian food, pizza etc so that was really convenient. And the morning breakfast had a great variety of foods and was more than ample.
there is a spa, fitness center and babysitting services on site. And at the connecting cansino/food court there is a 3-hr creche that was reasonably priced.
If i did stay here again I would request one of the bigger rooms. But for someone travelling alone the standard rooms were fine but no privacy if you have friends or guests that are there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank amergalinpretoria

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I'm not a big fan of Art Deco, so I'm not too thrilled with the exterior. The interior though is lush and the rooms are very good. This hotel has everything a good bar, a nice restaurant, a pool and a gym. If you're not happy with the restaurant food, no need to worry; it's linked to Suncoast Casino and there's plenty of food and entertainment there including a cineplex. The beach is beautiful and the stretch in front of the hotel is well maintained and constantly monitored. It's a good place to come down to spend time on the beach and casino.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Stockholm
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I just returned to Joburg after 3 nights at the Suncoast hotel.

We were travelling in a group and all our rooms were of the smaller kind, "Queen Seaview".

This is the third KZN hotel that I have stayed in the last 6 weeks and this is a very efficient hotel. The rooms are square and to save space there is no separation between the bed and bath. As others have said previously this is not a hotelroom for those that want privacy. Functional is another word that comes to mind.

The rooms may have a queen sized bed but they are not really big enough for 2 people. My suitcase had to be stored on the floor as there is no space for the suitcase, the floor placement closed off entrance to the bed from one side.

There is a little noise coming in from the hallway (people walking and talking can be heard into the room) and from the ocean, the windows were not really closable in our rooms. The sound of the ocean waves is very nice and I slept like a baby!

I inquired a little about the design of the rooms and was told that the hotel was planned for gamblers who just needed a decent place to sleep. And that really desribes it, a decent place to sleep.

At almost 1700 zar including breakfast I am not sure how I rate the value, ok value I guess. More expensive than the 2 other hotels I have stayed at but also in a nicer location along the Durban beach (all the hotels I have stayed at were along the beach) next to the casino with all the restaurants.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable. The room was starting to show a bit of age, there was some cracking in the silicone around the sink and area surrounding it and the desk was showing quite a bit of wear and tear. There is a kettle and an empty minibar.

Internet worked extremely bad, it was slow and painfully weak signal stength practically everywhere. Thankfully it is not included in the price and rather expensive so I hope that a lot of people will avoid being as annoyed as me about this.

We will probably stay in Umhlanga for our next visit but so far this hotel is the best total experience we have stayed in KZN!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 44Brabus

Johannesburg
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a Premier room at Suncoast earlier this year. The service was very good at the hotel and hotel room was beautiful, as were the views from the rooms. I do feel that the hotel is not good value for money though. We paid a lot for the room and it was beautiful but not amazing or special. The breakfast was very good. I understand that not all the rooms have sea views. I probably will not stay at the hotel again, I would probably stay at the Southern Sun Elangeni or North Beach, which is better value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yuriramkissoon

Paris
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Wonderful hotel, that prides itself on being attentive to guests and simply luxurious!
On the beach, with GREAT breakfast buffet and helpful staff (Mohammed served us wonderful coffee!)

We used the private lounge for our wedding, and the staff were wonderful!

Stayed here one more than one occassion, and will definately go back!

(Be sure to ask the staff to book you a table at the Havannah restaurant! -Its fabulous!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business