“Basic hotel but the location is superb”
Review of Albany Hotel

Albany Hotel
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I attend the tourism Indaba in Durban annually (although I am giving it a miss this year), and I have stayed here for the past few years. The standard rooms are basic and small, but clean and worth the money because accommodation in Durban is pricey during the Indaba period.

As a tourism company we already have to fork out a lot of money for the flights or petrol to Durban, and the show is not cheap to attend, so I try to save money where possible for the company I work for.

Even though the main beachfront area in Durban has become a bit rough in the past years, this hotel offers secure parking (which is a plus) and I have always felt safe here.

There are restaurants nearby, but most of the restaurants offer take-out option + you can call them and place an order which they will deliver to your room.

There is a television and kettle in the room, but no bar fridge. There is a small table at the window in standard rooms, but as mentioned it is pretty cramped so don't expect too much. Basically you are paying for a clean bed and shower.

If I share a room with a colleague I upgrade to a delux room, these are actually rather spacious and allows for a more comfortable stay. If you have an few rands to spare - rather book one of these (I think that only 4 are available so its best to book these upfront).

On the downside there is no wifi so you need to work around this. The little restaurant offers breakfast as an extra (you pay about R45 for breakfast) but I never book or include this because to tell the truth I'd rather eat cardboard.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a delux room, these rooms are about twice the size of the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Albany Hotel

Reviewed January 1, 2014

After our beautiful stay in June,we decided to go back to the Albany Hotel in November.Big Mistake...We got there and our room was stinking,for the 3days we stayed there linen was not changed everyday and the floor not swept.We had a tiny room with a shower by the corner we never bathed together with my hubby because we couldn't fit at one time.Each time we went out the door card refused to open for us so we had to go back and get it activated at reception. The food was so cold and and the cooks didn't listen to instruction.Upon inquiring I learnt there is now new management.I wont step my feet in Albany hotel again!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John Tabvuma C
Reviewed October 6, 2013

not expensive but ok. I stayed one week on july 2012 and I appreciated. Very good service at the front desk when you want something (ex. electricity plug to charge my computer, taxi, find a restaurant etc.).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

No restaurant, room service despite website assurances of this. Room smelled if rust/mould, no hair dryer. Reception gave me wrong room number at first. Chaos. Poor show although the site is really good!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am at the Albany Hotel in Durban at this very moment writing this review. I have been here at the Albany for 6 days. The room is spacious. I am on the 9th floor so I have a great view of City Hall and the surrounding area. The view is beautiful day or night.
I am very happy with the room. The bed is queen size and very comfortable. I especially like the black-out curtains on the windows. It makes sleeping late possible. The hotel over all seems quiet. The large flat screen T.V. is nice too. How can some one complain about this area? I feel safe when I go out the hotel door...but I don't go out late at night. This is South Africa.
I am happy with the price of the room it would be nice if the Wifi was included in the price. The wifi price is additional.
The location of the Albany is great. It is right across the street from City hall which contains a free Museum and an art gallery. It is a 10 minute walk to the harbor and the beach. It is also a short walk to a mall named The Works.
My room is cleaned daily.
There are few cons. The restaurant on the first floor could have a bit more variety for breakfast and dinner. There is very little for Vegetarians like myself.
The front desk people could be a bit more attentive and professional. I noticed they will go on with their personal conversions before they attend to customers.
Yes I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher floors have a nicer view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SpiritofAmerica2
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Being a regular visitor to Durban on business, its important that I get the best value for my money. I can happily say that staying at the Albany Hotel is real value for money. The
hotel rooms are clean and bathrooms are spot on. The service is excellent. Parking is a problem, but Front desk can arrange under cover parking at a parkade nearby. I will recommend this hotel anytime.

Room Tip: Take a room on the higher floor to avoid street noise if you are light sleeper.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zidane H
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Hotel is nearby city hall of Durban, close to the shopping area, not far from the promenade and the sea world. Rooms are large and the hotel looks renovated. BUT the staff makes the stay a disaster!!

• Stayed: August 2013