“A pleasant lodge”

Ranked #17 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A pleasant lodge”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night during our travels in South Africa. The Ridgeview Lodge offers guests well decorated and comfortable rooms, with amazing views. The rooms and bathroom are of a high standard and very well maintained. There is a lovely swimming pool with sweeping views over the city and also a lovely English style bar. Breakfast offered a good range of cereals, juices, yoghurts and fruit, as well as a hot, cooked selection. The owners were friendly although I felt a put out by their over reaction when i didn't understand how the main gate worked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed for a few nights while on business in Durban and had a great time. The owners are very friendly and welcoming both in terms of facilities at the lodge and also restaurants and activities in the local area.

Breakfast is great and the small bar is ideal for an early evening drink overlooking the bay of Durban or just work on the veranda with convenient wifi coverage.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed July 23, 2012

There are many reasons why I prefer staying in a guest house to a hotel - the most important one is that a guest house is so much more friendly and personal.

I enjoyed a working weekend in Durban recently and stayed at Ridgeview. My room was lovely with the most spectacular view of the bay. The breakfasts were great and the hosts, Gary and Tosca, were really friendly and welcoming. It didn't feel like a working weekend at all!

Room Tip: Room No. 1 has a spectacular view - it is a little smaller than some of the others, but the view mak...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Houghton, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at the Ridgeview twice in the past five years (six nights each time). I have found Gary and Tosca to be extremely personable -- and helpful in managing my stays in Durban. They are a fount of knowledge about the city and they offered me sage advice on how to move around the city safely.

The lodge and grounds are quite beautiful. Think lots of Burmese teak -- and plenty of flowers and plants for picture-taking. I stayed in a room separate from the main lodge and I loved how quiet it was. I also liked the fact that while I was at breakfast each day, the maid straightened up my room and was done before I returned a short time later. Very efficient.

If and when I return to Durban, I will stay at the Ridgeview.

GA

I

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Great, comfortable business venue. Gary is a great host! Easy to get to and from city center. Some great small details that made the stay special.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
goadmin, Owner at Ridgeview Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Howzit Andrew, firstly , how did the "bike race" go ?, secondly, many thanks for the review, as I said to Craig.....each little bit helps, thanks a million
Best Regards G,T &D
Stellenbosch
Reviewed May 15, 2012

After my nineth visit to Durban I have found a that Ridgeview ticks all the boxes for a business traveller. The team are efficient and friendly. Gary is a superb host. The rooms are comfortable and breakfast is superb. Access to the city and surrounds is easy and wifi is free.

Room Tip: Garden room are quiet and easy to access if arriving late
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Gary,i'm very disappointed with how u handled my situation,i'm not talking about u cant be bothered to let me know that my reservation was cancelled by venere.com until i asked you 1 day before my depature, but u charged me 4 days of cancellation?seriously?i was told i can only stay for 2 days,i booked another hotel by myself the day i arrived and told u about it next day,altho u said u got a cancellation from someone else so i can stay,but did i,or did i not tell u instantly that i wont stay,i will move to another place?u didnt say a word about cancellation,and where did that even come from?i didnt have any reservation with u. I was in the rush to the conference next morning and trusted u will handle the payment well,i was shocked when i saw u put 4 days cancellation on the receipt.i have informed my school and hope they would do something about it,i'm very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
goadmin, Owner at Ridgeview Lodge, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Hi Zoa, I dont want to turn this into a mud slinging match, but, I didnt cancel your booking, I was notified by Venere that it was cancelled so I presume it was done by you / your manager, secondly I told your manager not too worry and that we would sort the accommodation out when you arrived, this we did or should we have just left you to arrive at the airport in a strange city - country You went ahead and booked somewhere else to stay, thats not a problem but there is a cancellation policy , I never charged you the full price, I charged only 50% and not the full 100% as you would have been charged through Venere. You cant just change your accommodation plans at will and then expect not to pay for it. It disappoints and sadens me that you are prepared to go public on Tripadvisor but dont mention the effort that we put in re the taxi meet and transfer Yes, I would like to hear from your manager and yes I will post this reply on Tripadvisor