“Great experience with snakes”

Phezulu Safari Park
Ranked #15 of 116 things to do in Durban
Lisbon, Portugal
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Great experience with snakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

In Phezulu exists a crocodile park, snake park, Zulu dancing, restaurant, etc. I went there only to see the crocodiles and snakes park and of course to see the Zulu dancing and the village. For me it was a great experience that I will never forget because I love snakes and finally I could touch two different specimens. It was also very nice to see the Zulu dancing with the 1000 Hills behind the dancers like a scenario. Of course the village is only to see, in some way is ethnographic or cultural. It is a hotspot for those who love snakes.

Visited July 2012

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Overpriced and tired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Phezulu offers a number of animal attractions (snake park, crocodile park and game drive), a Zulu cultural village, a restaurant and a shop. Our overall impression of the place is that it is tired and overpriced.

The shop has the usual African trinkets available at any tourist shop - nothing appeared to be made locally which was a real shame. I would have liked to see some unique crafts from the area.

There are 2 places to get food - a (very) basic takeaway and a restaurant that specialises in game. The view from the restaurant is stunning but the restaurant is not very exciting - think metal conference chairs and plastic table cloths. I didn't eat there, but nothing I saw would make me want to. We stopped at 'The View' which was also rustic, but much nicer.

My husband and son went on the game drive (R300 for the 2 of them) and enjoyed it. Bearing in mind they don't exactly have an extensive collection of game I thought the price was steep.

All 3 of us attended the Zulu cultutural experience which we got to late because the game drive started and finished late (no apology was received for this). The ladies and men who performed the dances and provided us with info were cheerful and informative but the whole event lacked spark. I attended a show like this when I was a child and they haven't updated the concept since then. Oh, and the half hour cost about R230 for the 3 of us!

Overall I wouldn't bother - rather attend one of the township experiences.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Rollingstone2000
UK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A bit of a rip off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Ok so Rands into Pounds etc etc equals pretty good value for money anyway but I have to say that Phezulu is really disappointing. The crocodile park is worth a look I guess; but seen one croc and you've seen them all! Don't eat in the restaurant; it's tired, looks grubby and the food is not nice. But just across the car park is a lovely little shop with great views over the valley and whilst priced for the tourists you can still find some nice African curios. Be warned if you're going to see the African dancers - it's pricey and you STILL are expected to leave a big tip for the dancers. The game drive was disappointing - there are far better game drives in the province (they only have zebra, giraffe and some antelope).

Visited May 2012
3 Thank LorenJB
Durban, South Africa
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

A must for every visitor to KZN. Lovely to see Zulu dances and learn about their culture. Nice curious at reasonable prices.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Chinx259
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Magnifecent views from viewing deck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Zulu dancing ,marvelous views of thousand hills ,crocodile and snake park for kids and adults ,coffee shop,souvenior shop .Well worth a visit

1 Thank wersdfzxc