“Lovely safe friendly place to stay.”
Review of Essenwood House

and 1 more site!
Essenwood House
Ranked #6 of 256 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I had a peaceful pleasant stay here.

John the owner was very kind and even gave me something free as I did not have breakfast there. Which he didn't have to.

They called me a cab whenever I needed and nothing seemed too much for them.

I would like to see a bit more hot water for a bath but apart from that. It's a good bet.
A car may help as its a bit put of town central if you're that way inclined.

Oh, and John let me have a lay in.. no trouble here. Thanks John.

I'll definately recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us but of course sorry about the hot water. never happened before, i wish you had told me and i could have sorted it out. Also our rates, sorry if you found them a bit high, they are very competitive but obviuously we accept our guests views!
Hope to see you again for a longer stay next time
Regards,
John Chance

There are newer reviews for Essenwood House

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were impressed by the friendly reception we received here. It's a lovely place, not to far drive from the city centre and in a quiet neigbourhood. The rooms are spacious but a bit old fashioned (but that would be about the only negative I can think of), they were very clean, a minibar was provided (they don't charge you for the water), there's a shower and a bath. Breakfast is really good, they really make sure there's more than enough.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind review of your stay with us. We are always glad to receive feed back from our guests- the "old fashioned" is part of what we try and keep, but as you will have experienced, we have all the modern applicances and servises of a new establishment.
I do hope that you will visit us again, and that you got home safely, With bst wishes,
John and paddy

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had a very nice stay at Essenwood House. Staff and owners are friendly and helpful. You really feel welcome. Breakfast i excellent - some of the best we've had in South Africa. Good location near Florida Road and not too far from Ushaka Waterworld - for the kids.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, even though the weather was not the best!
It is always helpful to hear what our guiests have to say about their stay as it is the only way we can improve on the service we try to offer.I do hope that you will come again next time you come to Durban,
With best wishes,
John and Paddy

Reviewed January 20, 2013

It's unfortunate I've taken so long in reviewing the Essenwood House, as it is an absolute wonder in Durban, but better late than never, right? I traveled to Durban at the end of a trip through Southern Africa with my wife, and my only regret is that I didn't stay longer in Durban to spend more time at the Essenwood House - it's that good.

Pros:
- Location - perfectly situated in Berea, it's easy to get anywhere you want in Durban, in or out of town.
- Stunning colonial architecture with pastel colors and impeccably clean.
- Huge bedroom with balcony and a bathroom bigger than some other bedrooms I stayed on my trip.
- Yes, you've read it before, it bears repeating - phenomenal breakfast. Made to order, whatever you want, they'll get you. Private, beautiful, an experience by itself.
- *Real* coffee in a french press - I'd just about given up hope that it existed in the lower half of the entire continent.
- The bathroom is monstrous (yeah, I'm repeating that), with a double sink vanity, bidet, full-size tub and extra-large shower stall.
- Free wifi internet; really, you just ask John for the password and it works!
- Owners that really care about who is staying with them, even if only for a night. Everything about the Essenwood was fantastic, but the service was what I regret not getting to experience more of the most.
- Pillow chocolates!
- Adorable pups running around, very well behaved and friendly!
- Gorgeous grounds and a view of the Indian Ocean past downtown Durban
- Meticulous gardens and plantings and a large refreshing pool in an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Durban.

Cons:
- The towel warmer didn't work. That's really all I could find.

As I've said already, Essenwod House is definitely top tier in my book in places I've stayed at. There's no other choice when in Durban - I'd go so far as to say I'd reorganize my trip dates to make sure there was availability at the Essenwood when I go back. If you're in Durban - do yourself a favor and stay at the Essenwood House

Thanks for reading my review - if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out!

Jon

Room Tip: Upstairs, with the balcony overlooking the pool and Inidan Ocean (just ask for it when booking)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JB24003
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Just read yuor reallyf antastic review! So kind for everything you said and we are so glad that you enjoyed the stay with us. So sorry about the towel rail, I could have swtiched it on for you, we swuitch it off to save the excorbitant electricity charges in S.A.!!
Hope to see you again, Best wishes,
John and paddy

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Warm service, lovely ambience and great location. We had a relaxing family holiday and will definitely be back. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, the lush garden and the homely feel. Embodies durban's relaxed and warm vibe!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you io much for yor very kind review, which is much appreciated. It makes everything so worth while when we hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay with us and of course we enjoy having you here! I hope the rest of your trip was successful and you arrived home safely, With best wishes,
John Chance

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We spent 4 nights in two suites in this perfectly located bed and breakfast in a wonderful Victorian House, and hope we can do the same in the future! The glorious honeymoon suite on the upper floor has a view from its large wooden deck over Durban to the sea beyond, and one of our party had an equally splendid suite below us on the ground floor, opening onto a spacious verandah leading directly onto manicured green lawns and a sparkling blue swimming pool. Both rooms had air-conditioning units, very high ceilings, and incredibly large en-suite bathrooms, and the king size bed in the former, as well as the twin beds in the latter, were complemented by very generous cupboard space, bar-fridges, full coffee and tea facilities, lovely tables, armchairs, thoughtful additional accessories, all making for a truly comfortable and tastefully decorated environment. The rooms were serviced each day. The breakfast was delightful. Fruit, cereals, freshly-baked croissants, bottomless tea and coffee and juices were the precursors to expertly cooked full English breakfasts made to order. The staff were utterly professional, pleasant, and helpful. The highlight was the quite astounding care and friendly attention of John and Paddy, the owners, who care so much and deliver more than one would expect. I can't imagine looking for anywhere else to stay in Durban on a short visit. Within easy reach are the city and the main roads to both north and south coasts and the local shopping centre is three minutes away by car. Pre-booking, arrival, and settling-in were smooth and expertly handled, and there were no surprises on the bill, which was equally efficiently processed. This is most highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks. We really enjoyed having you to stay , it is always a pleasure when our guests leave with happy memories and of course we hope to see you here again., With best wishes,
John and Paddy

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is our 2nd stay at this beautiful guest house. The property is located at the top of the Berea has a lovely garden with pool and a view of the city and Indian Ocean in the distance. Our room was extremely large with a very comfortable king size bed, and plenty of closet space, and of course had an en-suite bathroom. Little extra touches make this a special place to stay. Coffee and tea available in room, with cookies and fresh fruit supplied daily. A wonderful large hot cooked breakfast was included so that we often only needed a snack for lunch. The property is secure and we felt very safe staying there. However it's best to have your own car to get around.

Room Tip: Upstairs front room with king-size bed has its own large balcony and great view. All rooms are quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janloism
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Thank you so much for toor very kind review. It is always good to have our guests make return visits and it was great to see yuo again and that everythig went of O.K./
I hope that you got home safely to a very cold Canada, lovely summer weather here now after al the rain, Hope to see you again.
Bst wishes