“A lovely outing”

Umgeni River Bird Park
Ranked #8 of 129 things to do in Durban
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The kids love going to the park especially when it coincides with the feeding times. Jungle gym and play area occupies the kids while I can have a quick cup of coffee.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Park has pass its prime. A pity, it could be a wonderful informative place for conservation and information.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

As Manager of the Mitchell Park Zoo, I am precluded from writing a review on my own facility, but as animal (well, in this case bird) places go, Umgeni is right up there with the best.
their care for their feathered wards is excellent and their breeding success is enviable. Although I haven't seen the free flight bird show for some time, I remember it as well presented, fun and educational!
A good crew of people doing a great job!!!
Saving this place for the public when it was due to close was one of the best things Mark Penning and the city council could have done - this has become one of the iconic attractions of Durban

2  Thank Karl W
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our guide book billed this as the biggest and best bird park in S. Africa - trust me, it's not either of those (Cape Town being much better). To be fair they are in the midst of a fairly large upgrade of facilities so we didn't see it at it's best - but the bird show was enthusiastically delivered and came across with a strong conservation theme. This facility is too confined for my taste to allow the birds a good flight area. The cafe was ok for teenagers who want chips!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I never thought i would actually in my life time hear a bird talk or immitate what im saying i was quite fascinated felt very proud to be a south african as well as to be in SA - quite a learning curve to my kids as well about other birds and their adaptations