“Perfect Stay in Durban”

Quarters Hotel Florida Road
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed May 6, 2013

As a business traveller I prefer in staying at boutique establishments. When I recently travelled to Durban for a business trip my usual place that I stay was fully booked and had to try finding the alternative accommodation. I always admired the Quarters Hotel from a distance so I t tried my luck with this time. Oh boy was I not disappointed I must say I was pleased with my choice. The price I was charged was value for money. The moment I walked through the gate I was greeted by Billy who immediately assisted me with the luggage. The service at the reception desk was pleasant as they had my booking arrangement ready.

My room was to die for, I loved it. I have nothing bad to say about it, it actually exceeded my expectations.

The most things I enjoy when I am travelling are to explore the place that I am visiting on foot or use public transport. The location for this hotel is ideal for this. I managed to get a haircut, have something to eat and use the internet café. It is a walking distances to cafe, restaurants, shops, internet cafe and hair salons. One feels safe walking on the streets though this does not take away common sense.
The bar and the restaurant give that calming effect. The court yard provided me with tranquillity I was yearning for as I enjoyed the warm autumn evening with a perfect glass of wine. The food was great; one must try their curry it’s to die for.

The staff ensured my stay was comfortable as much as possible.

Yes I will be going back for my next visit in Durban which I am hoping it will be soon.

Zama Bodlani

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautifu, you will not go wrong with your choice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have stayed at Quarters on Florida road before and the reason I've been back was because the experience was great. This time around however I was disappointed from the time I checked in to the moment I left the hotel. When I arrived there was no one at reception to welcome me, I had to wait for 7 minutes while the security guard ran around trying to find the receptionist . I got to my room and it was stuffy, the towels it looks had been there for ages and did not smell clean. The restaurant staff was inattentive, did not enjoy the food at all at dinner. I think they must have changed chefs. At night I could not sleep because of the noise from the room above me; at 4am I got woken up by a loud bang when the TV in the room just automatically switched on. Overall the standard if quarters Florida road has dropped! What a pity !!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Colonial style, charming place but rooms, balcony and reception need a little renovation. The restaurant's food is good and attensive service.
We were there for there for 3 nights, mainly good service in reception.
Make sure to use the safe in the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Chose this venue as it was a referral from another establishment that was fully booked. Venue is neat, colonial feel. Receptionist was awesome and friendly. Rooms were spacious and nice, however the floor was covered with twine/straw covering which did not allow one to walk in the room bare feet. Unpleasant to walk in the room barefoot. This was a big downer for me. Breakfast was well presented and serviced at a restaurant opposite the venue, shared with patrons not of this hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I Was there for 5 nights and i had no major complaint. Rooms are big and comfortable,service is good, i got a very helpful receptionist when i arrived Who helped me out with a couple of small issues promptly and effectively .location is perfect for the night life and the hotel is Also in front of the tourism office, ideal to get yr escursions planned.if back in Durban i'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The hotel failed to impress me on my first visit and I will not be back,

There is confusion between this hotel and the Avondale one across the road. I went to the Avondale one first as that was recorded on my voucher. There I was met by a charming receptionist who directed me to Florida Road. There the receptionists made me feel that I had interrupted their conversation.

The room was pokey and smelly. I was too tired to argue so flopped down as soon as possible - normally I would have insisted on a better room. The mattrass was old and lumpy, the TV had no radio channels and limited DSTV channels, the aircon was noisy and had to be turned off, the street noise was quite loud and there was no view - wall of next door building. There were too many scatter cushions on the bed making the floor cluttered when chucked off.

On the plus side was the coffee and bathroom. Big bathroom, hot water, good pressure.

The breakfast was ok. They cannot do poached eggs without vinigar - so all the food had a vinigar flavour.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the outside - it is likely to be less pokey.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Rob N
Reviewed September 17, 2012

unless your planning a night out on Florida road, i don't recommend this hotel. I stayed on a Saturday night and it was like a racetrack outside with the main road, and then people walking home noisy drunk from the bars. I had a shower, only to get out and find no towels and had to ring reception dripping wet to bring me some. although if your having a night out in Durban this is a good place as its about 20 steps to 'cabana nightclub'.

Room Tip: ask for one away from road and upstairs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo