All reviewsprokard membergolden mileprotea groupfun parkamusement parksea viewgrand old ladybeachfront locationthe hotel managerbreakfast and dinnernight staymarine paraderooms are spaciousindian oceanshort staycape towncomrades marathon
Reviewed September 8, 2016

As I was travelling to South Africa, I wanted to experience Protea and their partnership with Marriott. I had booked the Protea Hotel Edward in Durban as it was on the beach thoroughfare and was in walking distance to many attractions. The price for the hotel was relatively inexpensive, a bit higher than Fairfield but lower than Courtyard, and was the same price as the Hilton Durban – I am not sure if this meant the Protea was overvalued or the Hilton was undervalued.

I had arranged my own transport to the hotel – the hotel does offer shuttle service, but for a cost and through my research the costs were higher than other transportation methods so I had arranged my own. Other amenities the hotel offers include a business center (with one computer and a printer), a restaurant, a souvenir shop, and free wifi. The wifi was basic but was decent service and good enough for one night.

Overall, the hotel looked like it had been built a while ago. While it did not look bad, it did not look modern nor updated. As you entered, on the right side was a small check-in area while on the left was a small porter/concierge stand. There was a desk in the middle that served as a roundabout, as to the left was the restaurant, straight was the elevators and stairs, and then straight and on the right was the business center, the store, and access to the back entrance of the hotel. The design and décor of the interior of the hotel made the hotel look older and a bit dated. Check-in was quick and I received my keys and took the (small) elevator to the 5th floor to my room.

The rooms themselves were very large and spacious, but felt and look old and dated. As you entered, along the left side of the wall were the closets and tea set. The closets contained storage, as well as a safe and an ironing board. The iron had to be requested from the front desk. On the right side was the bathroom. The bathroom was very spacious and roomy, but was very bare. The bathroom contained a sick, a toilet and shower and the sink had the bathroom amenities, but they were off to the side – the whole look was very bare.

The room itself was very big but the decorations and the feel of the room felt old and dated. The room contained green carpet, which made the room look dated. As you entered into the room, on the left wall was the TV with a luggage stand underneath and next to that was a desk with a chair. Next to the desk, across the wall, were two large balcony’s which looked onto the beach and provided some nice views (the balcony doors were hidden behind large curtains that belonged to the 80’s). The bed was on the other side of the wall and it was a large queen size bed. On other side of the bed were nightstands and those, plus the bed frame were an older style and did not look modern. The bed itself was not very comfortable and did not feel new. The bedding on top of the bed were nice and new, and in line with Marriott’s new bedding (the bed itself was not part of Marriott’s new bedding).

Overall, the hotel was an interesting combination. The hotel did not feel like a Marriott at all, and the hotel felt dated and definitely needed an upgrade. While the rooms were spacious and the provided a average night’s sleep, I am not sure I would pick this hotel if I was staying here longer than one night.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
WernerGeere, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2016

Dear 0504Traveller,

What a pleasure to receive a review from such a well traveled and experienced Marriott GUESTS. We appreciate the time you took in writing such an extensive and detailed review, thank you very much.

With our brand being endorsed by Marriott a couple of months ago, we are excited to see & learn how the largest hotel group in Africa will immerse itself into Marriott Global standards. As our brand personality is being updated so will our very unique hotels also undergo design and compliance upgrades. Protea Hotel by Marriott Edward is one of the oldest and most elegant hotels in our beautiful country and we are proud to keep 'her' looking good.

My GUEST Relations TEAM and I have dissected your feedback and we will certainly improve and amend certain aspect of our operation to anticipate, meet & exceed our GUESTS expectations. Our hotel runs at very high occupies and together with the other beach front hotels continue to delight local and international corporate and leisure travelers.

We look forward to another opportunity to host you and yours and hope that have traveled safely.

Kind regards,

Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward

Reviewed September 6, 2016

My wife and I booked into the Edward on the 1st and 2nd of September. The reception team were very efficient and pleasant. Johnny (the concierge) was unobtrusive, but always made eye-contact and looked for ways to help. We made a second reservation for the 3rd and 4th and were offered the same room. This meant that we did not have to pack and move to another room. Our room over-looked the Rachel Finlayson pool. What a pleasure to wake up to the sound and sight of the sea in Spring!
On our last night we had supper in the Hotel. The buffet was superb. The jovial banter of the entire team on duty on the night of the 4th of September made our dining experience even more pleasant.
The maitre d (I think her name was Buhle) deserves special mention for her charming behaviour)
We are frequent visitors to the Edward and will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Sea Facing room ! The upper floors are better during peak season if you don't want to be disturbed by the noise on the street.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Werner G, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2016

Dear jacob736,

It is great to hear that you had a memorable stay with us at the Protea Hotel Edward.

We spend a lot of time on special trainings to optimize personalized service and selection of talents. Therefore, its a pleasure to see that you enjoyed the encounters with our TEAM. We will certainly recognize all our mentioned STUFF for their great effort to make your stay memorable.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to DURBAN.

Reviewed August 28, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I decided to have dinner after shopping. we have been to the Edward on many occasions for dinner, birthdays and stayed, but tonight's dinner, and service was absolutely disappointing. We dicided on the fillet steak, medium, and spicy chicken. the steak arrived well done and the chicken tasted like cardboard with peri-peri sauce slapped on. when we asked for the manager we told he was not there, and I think the chef, or someone in a white chefs jacket came. He apologised forthe steak but did nothing and I sent my chicken back. he said he will wait to see what the manager decides and will send me the menu. which came about ten minutes later, by which time my husband was well into his meal, while I had nothing to eat. I requested a medium fillet steak to go. ( have not opened it as yet) I ordered a coffee as I had lost my appetite and was not prepared to eat alone. Guess what, I ended up with warm coffee and had to take it back to the waiter. Once again I asked for the manager(Lungelo was on duty)and told him the drama of our dinner. Guess what once again an apology but nothing more. We have stayed and dined at many Protea hotels including the Edward, but what we experienced was totally unacceptable, to any customer and to us Procard members. If this is the kind if service we get from Protea hotels, then we need to rethink our card renewal.
Protea Hotels we expect better service from you. We expect to get what we pay for.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Werner G, General Manager at Protea Hotel Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2016

Dear tillie1001,

Thank you for sharing experience during your recent visit at the Protea Hotel Edward.

Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding your experience in the dining area and the way that it was handled,by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Edward is usually proud to offer. My TEAM really slipped up badly and this led to the mass disruption . Please note that we by now means had any malicious intent to be of inconvenience to you. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.

We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us. Should you require any further assistance from our side, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed August 27, 2016

Rooms are nice, but service needs improvement, especially for a Marriott. When I arrived there was a nice plate of fruit and a welcome card… addressed to someone else. There were no toiletries in the room – no soap, shampoo, lotion… nothing. I called, waited an hour, called again, waited another 30 minutes before someone finally brought a few things. He apologized for the delay, saying they were very busy. There was an ironing board but no iron. Called again and waited nearly an hour before someone brought an iron. It had a one-meter cord, which is too short and made it hard to iron. And it had an electrical short in it and kept turning off. Later I saw an iron sitting outside another room, so I switched it with the one in my room. Worked much better. Rooms are large, clean and nice. There is an un-stocked mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms have a nice view, but lower level can be noisy. Get higher level room.
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled on business

Dear Kent W,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Guest Satisfaction Survey in regards to your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Edward.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay, Also there were several missed opportunities . Please accept our sincere apology for .I assure you that this feedback has been shared with the appropriate hotel TEAM to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to DURBAN.

Reviewed August 25, 2016 via mobile

This hotel has long been my favourite hotel in Durban. There are more modern hotels and definitely more glitzy hotels but the Edward is old fashioned quality. It was built during Durban's colonial heyday and has welcomed royalty and presidents in its time.

It has now lost its five star status but I've stayed in worse hotels still called five star.

The bedrooms are mostly large and comfortable and many have great sea views and balconies.

I do have a few criticisms but not enough to stop me rating it highly.

The staff make too much noise chatting to each other in the pubic areas which spoils the natural calm of the great building.

Protea has recently become part of Marriott and at the moment, the staff seem to ignore preferences on guests' Marriott Elite profiles.

I also think the hotel is missing a good business opportunity. In Cape Town, the Mount Nelson makes very good money out of Traditional British Afternoon Teas. The Edward has no equivalent.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends

Dear Pawl,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Protea Hotel Edward through the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. As a MARRIOTT REWARDS MEMBER STATUS, your feedback will be shared with the team to continue to inspire and motivate them to deliver exceptional customer service.

Whilst it is disappointing to learn about the level of noise that was made by our STUFF. Please allow me to apologize for such behavior and rest assured, we are taking steps to help ensure problems of this nature do not occur in the future.

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Edward and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to DURBAN.