“Nice hotel, small rooms unless you pay +++”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 night in Nov 2012.
The hotel itself is on the sea front which means its easy to get to the beach and you have nice views (ish). The view was of the sea (nice) but also of a rundown kids fairground infront of the sea (not so nice). We thought we had paid a good price for the room but when we got inside it was tiny! Luckily we had a very helpful member of staff help us to upgrade.
The new room was large and very lovely. Room service was good, a safe in the room, bathroom clean and large.
The food was pretty average, nothing special. The bar was lovely with a lovely bar man (Manny) who we chatted to regularly. The bar has free snacks in the afternoon which is good!
The area - walking distance to some shops and Ushaka. The beach is not so nice so we walked up to the north beach which was much nicer.

On the hotel website the pool look amazing and large. The reality is, it's very small! Clean and stylish but tiny. We were luckily the only ones there but if it was busier you could only fit about 5 people around the pool!

Overall - a nice hotel in a pretty average area.

Room Tip: Get a big room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Klake4
Reinhard W, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at Protea Hotel Edward. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities. We continuously aim to provide a welcoming environment for all of our GUESTS and you highlighting the 'helpful and accommodating STAFF' affirm our efforts. I would like to sincerely apologise for the lack of detailed information regarding the different room type available at the hotel. The hotel accommodation consists of 101 refurbished graceful, spacious and stylish rooms, all equipped with LCD TV’s, en-suite bathrooms, executive work desks, wireless internet access and over half of the rooms have remarkable sea views. With a choice of Standard Double Rooms, Superior King Sea-Facing Rooms, Deluxe Twins, Family Rooms, Junior Suites, Deluxe Suites and a Presidential Suite.

Protea Hotels is proud to offer warm and welcoming experiences. As a result, I have taken your all your comments very seriously and will be discussing them with the TEAM.

I hope that we will be able to host you again so that you will be able to get a taste of true Protea Hospitality.

Yours sincerely
Reinhard Walzl

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The building and room had some charm, and the views over the beach and ocean are good - although it is right opposite the small amusement park. Food in the restaurant was both disappointing and expensive, and the service was excruciatingly slow. The whole beach front and buildings have clearly seen better days, though. Free wi-fi is a bonus, and parking is good value at just 60 Rand a day. Clean, comfortable, but not a 'grande dame' any longer.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank prippit
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great location next to the mall. Clean, enormous rooms and good breakfast. Only stayed one night so no time for the pool etc. it sounded like somebody was chopping down a tree outside my room at 5 am though, v noisy! My wake up call didn't come though either, luckily the tree chopping had woken me up!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Maybe I am so used to the high standard of service at Protea Hotels that I am dismayed with the service at Edward. The dinner we ordered was delayed and after 30 minutes when we enquired we were advised that the order was not taken. Anyway when the "new order" was taken we learnt 15 minutes later that certain items we ordered from the menu were not available so my guests had to settle for sandwiches. We were then invited to see the real quality of their service and we obliged. The lamb shank ordered from the menu was not available!!! So we had to settle for a compromise. The Receptionist invited us to stay at the hotel and promised to leave a note with Reservation. We decided to honour this invitation and called to speak with the GM. We were informed that he was in a meeting and will be out at 9.30am. The the Deputy called me to advise that she will not honour this invitation. I asked to speak with the GM. She said that he did not come in and that he will return on Monday. I called later and spoke with Reservation again and asked to speak with the GM. She then stated that the GM had left at 11.00am. When I suggested that Primrose, the DP said that the GM did not come in on the Friday and will only return on Monday, she was taken aback. I then called Johannesburg and was advised that the Manager of the area will call me on Monday. I believe that staff will only resort to lies if there is this characteristic demonstrated by the leadership.
Such lies and deceipt, for I still do not know the truth, only serve to harm the hospitality industry and harm the image of the Protea chain - which I must state is so far better and different. Can I make the inference that a poor and ineffective leader who refuses to make a simple call in the interest of the hotel he manages and in the interest of the chain he represents will be reflected in the poor service levels patrons are subjected to?
I make the kind appeal that the Protea chain visit this hotel with the objective of protecting its image.
Patrons must enjoy faith and trust and always believe that their interests are paramount. There is a GM because there are patrons!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Easygoing282
Reviewed December 1, 2012

If you are thinking of booking this hotel, think again. It looks a pretty good hotel on the website belonging to a reputed hotel chain. However our experience was totally different. As soon as we arrived we faced a not very co-operative receptionist. We had requested a sea facing room, whereas we were given the room (417) at the far end of corridor. The room looked as if a verandah has been converted in a room. TV on one end and cupboard on the other end of corridor type room. The noise from the AC machine was intolerable. We went back to reception and they sent a technician, who fortunately reported in my favor. Room was changed to 314. Now the AC was not working at all. After an hour and half the AC started functioning. Again the thermostat was not working. We decided to stop complaining. The room was clean. Restaurant did not offer any vegetarian menu, so we decided to eat outside. It was displayed that 100MB of internet was free per day, but we could not connect to the internet at all. The receptionist of course offered the business room. On the whole our experience was not very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nareshkolkata30
Reinhard W, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Durban Edward, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Edward. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong!
Please accept our sincere apologies with regards to the faulty air conditioner, lack of attention to detail from my TEAM and vegetarian dishes variety in our restaurant. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve service. We have given the issues that you raised urgent remedial action
Your interest and concerns are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you as our GUEST to Protea Hotel Edward again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
Reinhard Walzl

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great service from the minute we checked in. Room was clean and neat with a million dollar view of the beach and promenade. Super dinner ... And both my kids ate free at the R200 per head dinner buffet. The shuttle arranged by hotel, for airport, was however far too expensive at R800 return!!!!! I could have rented 3 cars.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ianbredenkamp
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is right on the beach and the rooms are very nice. Regarding check-in, I arrived at 1230pm after an overnight flight and asked to check in early. I was told check in was 2pm but I could wait in the lobby and I would be given the first available clean room. At exactly 2pm, I was given a room. The room faced the sea, which was nice, though it was also quite noisy - due to a large pool and an amusement park ride - even with windows closed. The area behind the hotel, through which you walk if you want to go to the city centre, seemed pretty dodgy. There is a supermarket about a 3-minute walk away, which was very convenient, plus you can walk to the convention centre in about 10-15 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business