“Excellent Location”

Ranked #13 of 42 Hotels in Durban
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Thanks to all at the hotel. I just spent a weekend at your hotel and I'm not sorry that i'v decided to stay there. The staff was friendly and polite (Very good customer service). Yes a new lift was installed but we never waited for more than 15 seconds. Im definately booking into your hotel month end and have already recommended Blue Waters Hotel to my family and friends.

The ocean view from my balcony (17th floor) was breathtaking
Thank you again for a wonderful experience :)

Mrs T Christian

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have just checked into this hotel, and unfortunately, i have to say it is very disappointing!

Reception couldnt get the invoice to print, she said the printer is old!

The lifts are currently being renovated, no mentio of this at the time of booking, or even at check in. The televisions are old and my one lust gave up working. I called to ask them to fix it, and they brought in an even older which dint work either!

I must say there are better hotels in Durban, this cannot be recommended i am afraid

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve312659

Travelers are raving about these Durban hotels

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Really dissapointing property. Better options are available in the City.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShravS
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Felt like stepping into the thirties but with all mod cons. Very comfortable, wonderful view and Fantastic breakfast! Shame the pool was closed..(and one lift.) Would go back happily.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Review of blue waters
I booked with Blue Waters for the ICM conference and stayed between 17/6/11 and 1/7/11.
The first room that  I was allocated on the 9th floor was so unsafe, that I considered leaving straight away. How can the front door of my room have a window that allows anyone to see straight into my room, and know when I am going to use the toilet or washing facilities?ABSOLUTELY  RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!
Never heard of anything like it.
I demanded to be moved with immediate effect, reluctantly this was granted.
Was moved to the 14th floor where the the facilities provided were more in line and representative of the photographs on all the sites that I have viewed and the advertisement on one of TV channels in my room.
My only further complaint was that my room door was left open after being cleaned for only God knows how many hours.
Thankfully after reading the other reviews, I did not leave anything of value, in the safe or in the room so if someone wanted to steal my clothes( which would be difficult to replace) i would just be able to live with that.
I was assured that it  was not normal policy and it would not happen again.
I certainly hope that has been the case because I travelled to Cape Town for 4 days and arrived back on 28/6/11
The best time to go to breakfast is before the rush at 8am and after the rush at 9am.
There is a lot of choice and no one can come away from breakfast and say that they are hungry, every need is catered for.
Could not get WiFi in my room, therefore had to go to the Florida Lounge every evening, which wasn't that bad.
Blue Waters Hotel is in a prime location in Durban and desperately needs to be brought into the 21st century.
Would I stay here again?
Yes, but I would but I hope the next time I am in Durban, all four of the wretched lifts are actually working.
:-)

Room Tip: Be vocal, if you are not happy say so!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Totallyjamdown
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Blue Waters hotel catches your eye if you're strolling on the north beach. mainly because of it's impressive structure and dazzling mezzanine bar. But the rooms and the service are nothing to write about. Even if you are looking for a hotel on the beach, there are better hotels available on the same stretch.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed for 5 nights in May 2011 as I was taking part in my first "Comrades Marathon". My room on the 10th floor was spacious, spotlessly clean & had a great view. The bathroom was perhaps a little tired but there were clean towels & replacement tolietries every day. The free safe in the room was a bonus.

A new lift was being installed (an advisory note was on the website), and caused a few problems but I took the stairs.

I could not fault any of the staff who I found to be extremely helpful at all times. I ate in the restaurant every night & found the food to be of a very high quality, plenty of choice & very reasonably priced.

With the airport shuttle bus offering an inexpensive door to door transfer I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel & if I return for the 2012 "Comrades" , this would be my first choice....just wished I had discovered earlier, "Durban's smallest bar" connected to the hotel on the other side to the main entrance, great barman in there.

Steve