“Do you value your life, NEVER Again”
Review of Balmoral Hotel

Balmoral Hotel
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Europe
“Do you value your life, NEVER Again”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

A total disgrace, was told to go inside the hotel from the terrace bar because 2 guys were contemplating mugging me on the hotel terrace bar. I was told this is a very dangerous part of town and I can agree. I wrote to the tourist board about this hotel and place. It attracts families and kids and is very noisy at night as guests exit the lift and then start their loud mobile calls on the landing sat on chairs positioned outside rooms. All I will say is, think again, it is not good for business and if you arrive for breakfast after 9am do not complain if you notice most of the food as gone, it is like bloody rations and I cannot express my dissapointment with this hotel. I asked to see the GM and was presented with someone posing to be the GM. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Yes, check out turn left and walk 1 mile down the road to a safer area with better hotels.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank aramis110

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
BC
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I suspect this hotel is as expensive as it is because it's right on the beach front, but not really value for the money. The cons: hotel needs some TLC as it seems quite run down and customer service was so-so...missed a wake up call one morning, refused to let me stay one hour past check out as my flight left at 3 in the afternoon and no one showed up when I asked for assistance with something in my room. Midway across the street can be noisy and windows do not block out noise. Pros: Close to many other amenities, WiFi included, great breakfast included, great terrace out front to unwind with a drink at the end of the day, comfy beds. The building itself is great, just needs some freshening up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tigerlily76
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lovely hotel situated on Durbans golden mile. Perfect location. Friendly staff. Comfort and style at an affordable price. whenever i am in Durban its my first choice. to sit on the terrace and have breakfast is the highlight of my day.

Room Tip: first floor, sea facing
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Potter Bar, Herts (near London), England
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have had to mention this hotel in our reviews of Durban.

Whilst walking the Golden Mile we felt in need of some food and did not want to eat in a fast food restaurant.

We left the sea front crossed the road and this hotel had outside seating in the shade and it seemed ideal.

We entered ans asked if we could get a drink and something to eat and were immediately given such a warm welcome it was refreshing.

We had our drinks order taken whilst we studied the Menu.

The food ordered was prepared fresh and the portions were enormous and we could not finish our dishes.

The quality was good and prices were so cheap we could not believe it.

All the staff were chatty and gave us lots of information about where to go, eat and what to do and some history on Durban. All in all this was a unexpected gem with old world charm.

It was out of season so not that busy but we looked around the hotel and it looks good and is certainly well located.

As to the bedrooms these were not seen as we only used the bar, restaurant and lounging areas. The toilets were also very clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wacky the Wizard
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Any hotel where the central staircase is more attractive than the elevator and tourists take photos of one another in front of the revolving door in the main entrance was clearly built in a different era to the towering blocks along the rest of the sea front. Its lack of size and space meant that the two large coaches in our travel group and over 60 visitors arriving at the same time rather stretched the capacity of the service staff, but they did a good job with the check-in and luggage distribution.
The rooms with a direct sea view are much more comfortable and larger than the ones at the side or rear of the house, but we were more than happy with a very quiet room at the end of the corridor. The beds were comfortable and the room was well equipped.
The restaurant has only limited seating inside, which meant that some members of our group had to be patient while waitng for a seat for dinner on a relatively cool Durban evening. The adjoining terrace was much more welcoming on a sunny morning the next day. The buffet on offer was more than adequate on both occasions.
The photos of Durban at the beginning of the last century hanging in the corridors on each floor were also fascinating for this visitor. If you don't have a room with seaview there is nevertheless a window which opens on each corridor if you want to take photos of the sunrise.
We greatly enjoyed our admittedly very brief stay in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colinson
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Words cannot express my stay at The Balmoral, the service was amazing from Nicole the who I contacted for my trip to the bell boy Brain who took my bags to my room. Felicity (receptionist) who greeted me on arrival, she was always on hand to assist me with the simplest of task she did it service with a smile fantastic , thank you Felicity. Pretty who was on hand at the breakfast table, one morning saw I was a bit Ill, was very concerned & came to check on me several times, thank you Pretty .The hotel driver Jan who took me to the airport a long drive but Jan made it interesting very good conversation thanks Jan. My stay was made wonderful by staff who really care for their guest. Thank you ladies & gents you deserve a raise great job see you soon.Please inform the staff of Balmoral that I was very chaffed with their service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank H B
Cape Town
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I last stayed at The Balmoral, an old-style hotel on a stunning Durban South Beach in June 2013 for one night. The hotel looks posh from the outside like a hotel on the golden mile in Durban should but the rooms feel a bit dated. They are however functional. The floor is a bit wobbly but this seems to be due to the age of the building. There is a flat screen TV in the room which I could connect my pc to to watch movies or use it as a second screen. The toilet seat was quite worn but the bathroom was clean an neat. Good water pressure and also hot water was no issue. The aircon worked very well.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are nice and give a good view of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo