“refredgirators” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
pretoria, South Africa
“refredgirators”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

rooms should have at least a small fridgerators,because sometimes we come with our refreshments from our meetings and there is no place where we can place our drinks to be at least cooler.everything is good except for the refridgerstors.smaller once without deep freezer can be perfact

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Tshepo M, it is always good receiving feedback and I thank you.

We do have minibar fridges in the room, should guests wish to store their own personal items or if they would like the minibar stocked.

Both these are on request, however the next time you over at the hotel please let us know so we can have your minibar opened for you.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Moe Hamza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My latest visit was acceptable however a few pointers....

1. Consistency is key - housekeeping is erratic somedays you receive toiletries etc and somedays the old containers get left in your room etc.
2. Room service needs to pay attention to detail - if a guest requests a specific item and it is agreed to at the time of order then the item should be delivered. (extra bread rolls, extra chilli etc)
3. It is still sad that in 2013 hotels still charge ridiculous prices for wifi but hopefully with time that will change.

4. Despite the room advertising bath robes and a mini bar, the bath robes were non existent and the mini bar section LOCKED. Not acceptable. If you advertise a mini bar, make sure it is stocked and available to the guest on check in.

5. Hiltons loyalty programme really needs an overhaul that at least gives the impression that patronage to the brand is recognized. Despite having been loyal to the brand for a decade plus my membership is still stuck on blue as a result of booking accommodation through third party sites and despite me bringing in more than 10K conferencing business for 90 MINUTES during the upcoming AIDS Conference. It gives the impression that getting to Diamond is like pulling teeth at this hotel chain.

6. A consistent complaint is the drainage of the showers that spill over into the main bathroom area. Surely it could be ensured that housekeeping have the tools to make sure that the drain is clean running after each check out?

All in all decent service, great reception staff, property still in need of a forever promised upgrade and refurb but home away from home all the same. I'm returning for 7 nights in June for the AIDS Conference and look forward to an improved, recognised stay in a King Hilton (the room refereed to in my review was a King Hilton Deluxe)

Room Tip: Corner higher up rooms are best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations during your stay with us. Your comments have been addressed with The Executive Housekeeper and Food and Beverage Manager.

Please can you ask for me during your stay at the hotel during the AIDS Conference, so I can ensure all your requirements are met. Thank you once again for your comments

Warm Regards

Roshini Naidoo
Guest Relations Manager
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great service (special early breakfast for runner, ice on hand next to the lift back to your room at the end of the race) and the best location for the Comrades Expo. I'd recommend this hotel for those looking for a couple attending Comrades.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Mathew S, thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. During the Comrades period we try our best to make it most comfortable for the runners .

Thank you once again for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Warm Regards

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Picked as running Comrades and this is the official hotel. Nothing exceptional in the hotel but location next to start was good. The Internet is really expensive and was not included in room price. Good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your constructive feedback. During this period we host most of the comrades runners and we tend to cater for all their meal requirements runner up to the events, with lots of pasta on the menus.
We also have a comrades breakfast in the morning of the race that starts at 3am.

Grahamstown, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We were very excited to stay at the Hilton in Durban. Its not by any means a 'cheap' hotel so we imagined it would be a great stay. All in all a fairly average stay. Apart from being put in what seemed to be someone elses room (it was a smoking floor and the welcome letter indicated it was intended for a Mr Moodley) they did move us very quickly though.

The room was lovely, comfy beds and such. However the restaurant was largely a let down. On the Friday we went for dinner we got there early as we hadn't booked. We were seated and all was fine. We were approached by four different waiters to get our drinks orders and then had no set waiter for the rest of the night. To flag one down was near impossible so our drinks remained empty for the rest of the night. Our starters took over an hour to receive and the food was not amazing. Neither were the mains. A two hour expedition with very average results. For those prices you are FAR better off leaving the hotel for meals.

When I ordered room service the following night, I ordered soup. It got there quickly and I was impressed. Until the lady lifted the cover to show how half the bowl had been emptied onto the plate it was rested on during her walk up to the room. She blamed the kitchen for 'making it too full' and when I asked her what she was going to do about it she simply picked up the plate and poured the soup into the bowl and used my napkin to wipe down her tray. Needless to say not the highest standard.

The staff is largely polite and helpful and the room and hotel is a lovely setting. But whenever you get a chance to eat out, do so!

• 3 of 5 stars
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Lauren L,thank you for the constructive feedback. I sincerely apology that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be aware all your concerns will be addressed with our Front Office Manager and Food and Beverage Manager.

The next time you visit the hotel, please advise me in advance so I can ensure all your requirements are met and you get to experience the full Hilton Moment.

Baku, Azerbaijan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The high rating is because it is probably the best hotel in town and anyway is by far better than the ones I've seen in my previous visit. Having said this, i was slightly surprised and disappointed. General is not up to a standard to you would expect at an Hilton hotel. The gym is pretty small and so is the swimming pool.
The breakfast has a good selection of food however the quality of some items is lower than what you would expect in hotels of this level.
The location is probably not ideal for turist as it is located just next to the convention center, not really the best place where to go for a walk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dadde74, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations on this stay, however the next time you over at Durban please do let me know so I can ensure all your requirements are met.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Claremont, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

First of all, this was a booking made for me and my boyfriend who was running the comrades, this past weekend. He stayed there before and always told me what a great experience he has had. I really expected to have the most amazing experience.

As being in this industry myself, what a bad experience it was “service wise” and also the rooms!
1. When I contact prior to my arrival to find out whether there was any transport for family of runners to the end, nobody in reservation or reception or any other department knew anything. Or even tried to find out. They were opposite the Expo and I felt that a Hotel dealing with so many runners on this weekend, should know the answers to the questions that will be thrown to them!

2. When we phoned to organize an early check in, we were told we could check in at 12h00. When we arrived the room wasn't ready, they offered a smoking room and in the end we sat and waited in the lobby for another hour.

3. Check in was the worse, because nobody took us through, they handed us the key card and stood there saying nothing. I had to ask if we are going to be escorted and check into our room??? We were taken through, our luggage carried. Asked about the mini bar which was locked? Why should I ask? Apparently you have to phone reception to send someone up to unlock it for you. Why is it there in the first place. Can't they find another system? This took another 30 min just to get someone to open it.

4. The bath tub was in bad condition, holes in it (room 12-13..), as well as the toilet seat, no gowns and slippers was given, I had to ask for it. The lights was not working, bulbs flickered. I do not think the room is properly lit anyway.

5. Remote for the TV also didn't work.

Now this was a 5 star place, apparently went down to 4 star. But there is no personalised service and for R2000 per night, I bet you I can get better elsewhere for almost half the price.

I really think this Hotel should rethink about how they run their staff and teat their guest.

The best thing about my stay was their breakfast, thumbs up for the restaurant staff!

• 2 of 5 stars
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear kristal2
It is always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you, on behalf of my Team. Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I have noted your review comments regarding transfer requests not handled by our Reservations Team, room not ready on arrival, early check-in request, condition of bathroom, lighting in room and overall service and have addressed this with my management team and remedial action has been taken.
We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to Hilton Durban and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.