“Another good stay at a Hilton”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I like this hotel and would stay here again. Was bumped up to an executive suite with access to the executive lounge and that was cool they have treats in there and free drinks. The breakfast buffet is amazing and service is really good. The location right next to the ICC is great and parking is free and easy.

Room Tip: choose seafacing for obvious reasons.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Siamac m
We are so happy to hear that your recent stay with us was good and that you had the chance to experience our Executive Lounge. Will surely pass your kind comments over to our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager regarding the service and breakfast buffet. Yes, our location next door to the ICC is a great choice if you are coming to Durban for a conference, concert or expo. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Durban soon.
Kind Regards
Moe

There are newer reviews for Hilton Durban

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Really don't understand the good reviews on the site. There was only one good thing about my stay here and that was the food (the Durban breakfast in particular)- everything else was ppor when you consider this is a Hilton and relatively expensive by south african standards. Room decor was dated. Shabby furniture- very old curtains with holes in them, chipped toilet seats, dirty bed skirting. Whole place just looked cheap and tacky. Gym was decent for a hotel but pool is small and you can't do laps in it. Service was poor- you have to keep repeating room service orders, concierge really wasn't helpful in terms of finding dinner places or suggestions - its like staff are doing you a favour by agreeing to talk to you, and go out of their way to make you sound stupid. No bottled water in the room etc. Its a long list of things to be fixed. I suppose the refurb will help- but that won't help with staff attitude. I have stayed in many fine hotels in South Africa with really helpful people so I don't think its a cultural thing or bias. Generally don't stay in Hiltons, but even then- would say this place is brand-erosive.

1  Thank scalpel73
JulieNolan13, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Scalpel 73, thank you for your constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this stay. Please note all your comments have been noted and will be addressed to improve the services and products we offer at our hotel. I have passed on your comment s to the departments involved. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast at our hotel. Thank you once again for your comments.

Moe Hamza.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

If you are attending a conference in Durban's International Convention Centre (ICC) - this is the best place. It is next door to the ICC and makes for a convenient business trip. The hotel is in need of some refurbishment and repairs and we understand this will happen soon (now postponed to after the March 2013 BRICS Summit). It is also within easy walking distance to the beach (approx 10 minutes). A great hotel for longer stays. Very helpful staff and great buffet dinners. The swimming pool does not allow for much privacy (restaurant on-looking), but worth a swim. Rooms are spacious and still well-kept.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up and views towards the beach (in the distance). Avoid rooms close to the lift...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Beejay, thank you for your comments. Yes the hotel is next to the Durban International Convention Centre ( ICC), which makes it very convenient for guests attending a conference at the ICC. Thank you for your comments with regards to the hotels refurbishment and repairs. The hotel is easy assessable to the beaches and city centre. I am glad to hear that you found the staff very helpful and the dinner buffet great. Thank you once again for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the place looks impressive from the outside and when you enter the lobby. But then the little things start to nag...the lift from the garage did not work for the four days we stayed in the Hilton. Once in our room, we found there was no water (after a three hour drive, we needed a shower). Fittings hung off the wall, as did the numbers pad of the hotel safe. A lamp didn't work and when we didn't get our toiletries replaced the next day, I mentioned it to front desk staff (did I forget to mention that the telephone line to the operator didn't work...), four hours later I had to mention it again; and when I finally had to go downstairs for the third time I was pretty peeved. Fortunately, the Duty Manager had just arrived and within less than half an hour all problems were resolved and we were put in a much better room to compensate us for the forst two days of inconveniences. I would like to thank her profoundly for saving our long weekend in Durban. Breakfast was good but we dined one evening in the restaurant and I was less than impressed by a "tough as shoe leather" mutton curry, The place has some very professional and dedicated staff, so I really hope it will finally reach its potential. The beds and linen were of usually high Hilton standard, yet the pool was a sad excuse for a hotel mini lido, it didn't look clean, there was no attendant and fresh towels were nowhere to be seen ( I mentioned it to the staff in the adjoining Business Centre).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Londonkraut

Dear Londonkraut, thank you for your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel and I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Please note I have personally addressed your comments with our Maintenance Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Head Chef for remedial action. I am glad you have found our staff professional and I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel as some point in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had the privilege to stay for one evening without breakfast - a special! Good idea for these fancy hotels to give some ordinary people like me the opportunity to experience it. I had a great stay - rooms really well equipped and the bed was super super soft and comfy. I had quite a lot of luggage to schlepp around and the lift was out of order...but a very friendly front-of-house dude assisted me. Great stay - just too short!

I also agree that it is a pity that there are no vibe outside of the hotel - no where to lunch or take a walk on the beach...but that is probably not something they can do anything about...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Lulu B, thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. The beach is a 15 minute’s walk from the hotel, with restaurants and cafes along the promenade should you want to explore on your next visit. Thank you once again for your comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban in the near future.
Warm Regards

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I loved my stay here, nice rooms, a good restaurant and friendly smiles all over the place.
It's just a pity that there's no real shops, restaurants, bars around. It feels quite "isolated" in the evening.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Goya B, thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. It is always great to hear good comments about the staff and service . I will definately pass on your comments to the team. Florida Road, Ushaka Marine World and Sun Coast Casino and Entertainment World is a 5 minutes drive away for evening entertainment. Thank you once again for your comments

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spent several nights at this hotel in the spring of 2012. We were made to feel most welcome by the friendly staff in both the bar and restaurant that we frequented during our stay. Our time at the hotel was interrupted by an overnight excursion to the battlefields but the staff were happy to look after our excess luggage whilst we were absent and returned us to the same room, as requested, upon our return.
There was a small swimming pool where we were able to relax after our second, very long, one day excursion to the Drakensburg Mountains and Sani pass. Certainly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonDurban, General Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Rikthe Walker, thank you for your positive comments.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests. Once again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Kind Regards