“Things have surely changed!”
Review of Hilton Durban

Hilton Durban
Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I couild swear there is new mean cost-saving managemrnt as I sit on my bed writing this note I have observed these changes since I was last at this ex-awesome hotel:
1. No Mini-bar aymore: the guy who came to stock up told me at length the theft that made management make this decision - fine---common in SA

2. No gowns & slippers in the wardrobe anymore- I did not bother to ask why but housekeeping came(2x mind you with the last knock at now at 21h15)

3. Room Service,which I always look forward to the efficiency thereof,"miscommunicated" and my order was never placed - this after I call to find out after an hour of starvation. Profuse apologies tendered and meal deivered on the house but this is not much of a point for me

4. The phone rings forever now- there must be one switchboard/room service person dealing with all of us

I check-out tomorrow morning hoping there won't be anymore glitches.
I am going back to the other the other Durban hotels I had moved to before deciding to come visit here again.
The Hilton Durban - do pull up your socks for your own survival - this si an international brand for goodness's sake.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Rato, thank you for your comments on this website. We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at our hotel.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear ton this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel and please do ask for me at check in, so I can ensure all your requests are met.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 29, 2012

A very good hotel, close to the ICC Convention Center. A disadvantage is lack of restaurants or shops in close walking distance. However, we were advised to not do walks in Durban, but to take a cab every place we go. Caps are not expensive with an average of 60 ZAR for a ride within Durban. You can exchange US dollars or Euro to ZAR in the hotel, but the rate is significantly less attractive compared to the Johannesburg Airport (which was our first destination in South Africa).
Rooms are ok. We had a 11-th floor room with a great view. There is a coffee maker with good instant coffee, a refrigerator, a laptop-size safe, and iron, a flat screen TV with local channels and international CNN. I found the pillows too big and too inconvenient, but this is a matter of personal preference. WiFi in the room in 170 ZAR per 24 hours and about 1000 ZAR per week. Printing in the lobby is 5 ZAR per page. Cleaning takes a lot of time, but is very good with everyday replacement of soap, shampoos etc. Room service serves good food (about 300 ZAR for 2 people, including wine). Check-in and check-out were fast, with no problems. Water was 35 ZAR/per 1 l bottle. Breakfast is very good. It includes special orders, such as an espresso or cappucino.
I had only good experience in the hotel, but still, I would like to see more security people and elevators, which require a key to go to an upper floor.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have a nice view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest, thank you so much for posting a response on Tripadvisor.

It’s great to hear that you had a good experience at the hotel . and you found the check in and check out speedy.

Most of the restaurants and attraction is about a 10 minutes cab drive from the hotel.

Please note I will inform our Operations Manager and Security Manager with regards to your comments with more security and elevators at our hotel.

Thank you once again, and look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

On arrival for our 3 night stay, there was a queue to check in however everyone was acknowledged. The young girl on reception said that there was only one room booked and not two and that they were full after the first night. I gave her the vouchers, she rang my fab travel agent and went off in search of a senior member of staff who was very effcient and apologetic and immediately said it was not my problem bur theirs. 2 rooms were quickly allocated to us. Hotel standard was clean, large rooms, good toiletries, Views were of the convention centre car park and had to stretch to find the seaview. Breakfast was excellent with a huge choice including curries!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Rann03, thank you for taking the time to write to us.

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your standards during check in.

Please note that your comments will be passed onto our Front Office Manager whom would address your check in further.

I am glad to hear that you found the breakfast excellent ,and you had great views of the Convention Centre and the Indian Ocean.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here after two days on a Rovos Rail trip and before an early morning flight to Kruger. Our room was standard Hilton, comfortable and large with a great view of the Indian Ocean and the Cricket and Football stadiums. We had a club room and the service and refreshments in the lounge were very good. The Hilton also arranged our transfers and they went off without a hitch. Our driver, Mark, was careful and very helpful. Not much more you can ask for during a quick overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank prhnjd
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Valued Guest, thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

It’s good to hear that you found our rooms the same standard as other Hilton Hotels Worldwide. The hotel does have great views of the Indian Ocean and the City.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Did not spend much time in the hotel to speak highly about it but enough to give my opinion.

Hotel is nice and big, recepction is very nice and the check inn is great with drinks, OJ, water and some small apettizers while checking inn.

We were leaving the following day at 6am andthey offered a breakfast to go which was a great thing, very nice sandwhich, yogourt, fruit, OJ and water.

Rooms were ok, quite roomy but looked a little bit dated. Not too bad. Nothing spectacular.

We had a few drinks in the lobby bar (ok) and then went for dinner.

Did not have time to enjoy other things.

Did not like much the location, we had to take a taxi for everything but looks like thats quite normal in Durban.

If I go back I would probably look for an alternative but not because this one dissapointed me but, to look for something better, more beach oriented.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Valued Guest, It is always great to received constructive feedback and I thank you on behalf of the team.

I am glad you found the check in and takeaway breakfast adequate.

Should you return to Hilton Durban please do ask for me at check in, so I can ensure all your requirements are met.

Thanking you once again for your response.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just ended our roundtrip through SA with a 5 night stay in Durban. As the school holidays in SA just started, all nice guest houses and appartements (incl. timeshares) were more or less booked or were asking rates over 1.500 ZAR per night. As the Hilton is not a typical tourist hotel, but more one for conferences and business, they were not so busy and offered room with bf for around 1.100 ZAR per night.

As I Hilton HHonours Gold member I received an uprgrade to the lounge floor (14th floor).

Already on my arrival I was told that I should proceed to the lounge for check-in. This way I had less waiting time to get into my room. The staff upstairs was very friendly and helpfull and I was done within minutes.

Having access to the lounge gave me the opportunity to take my bf either downstairs in the restaurant (till 10.30am) or upstairs in the lounge (till 11am). If you want something thats offered downstaird but not upstairs, just ask for it and it will be brought upstairs.

Beside breakfast they did offer a High Tea between 3 and 5pm (with excellent sandwiches and good cake and pastry selection) as well as light snacks in the evening (usually two warm dishes, cheese, fruit, canapes and a cake for dessert). In addition to this they have an open bar till 10.30pm with a very good selection.

The rooms are well maintained....the beds are medium soft....the bathtub is full size (so you can actually stretch out with 1,90m like me) and there is an additional shower in each bath.

Parking is provided under the hotel (not sure if there is a fee for hotel guests).

Internet is provided wireless and via cable. I received it complimentary with user ID and Pin, which was always valid for 24 hrs. The card was distributed via the concierge lounge. If you dont have your own laptop with you, there is one for free usage in the lounge (for the first 15 minutes or longer if no one else is asking for).

The loung also has a small terrace with a view tables and chairs which can be used for smoking. As this place is facing the ocean its also perfect for a sundowner (if its not to windy in the evening).

The area around the hotel however is a little bit difficult in the evening and at night. We were told that we should use a cap or our own car to go to Florida Street (for bars and restaurants) or to the Victoria Street market (for African souveniers). During the night, it was a good decission...during the day you can actually walk to the beach, the Old Station (a small shopping center with a Pick and Pay superrmarket. For the Victoriy Street market you can use your rental car, as they do have secure underground parking available (dont trust the Google locations....its showing the wrong place).

Be aware that Durban has changed some street names recently. So there is no more Victoria or Queen Street any longer. But Google can translate it into the new street names.

We found the best prices for African souveniers on the street at the Golden Mile (Beach area).

After a day out in the city...at the beaches...or shopping it was always nice to know where we are coming back to in the evening. Therefore the location of the hotel has no influence on my rating. The staff was always helpfull...no matter whom you asked.

Room Tip: As we visited the lounge various times a day, it was nice to stay close to its entrance on the 14th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Joerge04, thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment on Tripadvisor.

As a valued Gold Member, It is wonderful to read about your experience’s. All your comments will be shared with the team. We are glad that you experienced a true Hilton Moment during your stay at Hilton Durban and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Roshini

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Arrived at 10.30 at night for a "late book in". Met by efficient smiling staff. No non smoking room available, so given an upgrade. Nice room. Looks a bit "tired" by today's standards. VERY adequate and comfortable.
AGAIN, no free WiFi. When are the SA hotels going to learn?? The business traveler today expects fast, free WiFi.
Did not get a chance to sample the breakfast, as I left before 6 a.m. when the breakfast room opens.
Nice hotel. Expected more.
Beautifully situated for the Durban Conference centre.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Alpham, thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that you were met by a friendly receptionist on your arrival that upgraded you to a non smoking room, as we did not have any non smoking room s available in the catergory that you booked.

I hope the next time you visit the hotel that you do get a chance to experience the other facilities at our hotel like our Rainbow Terrace Restaurant, Rivets Bar and the Spa.

Please ask for me when you next visit the hotel, so I can ensure all your expectations are met.

Thank you once again for your comments and looking forward to welcoming to Hilton Durban in the near future.

Warm Rgards