We just ended our roundtrip through SA with a 5 night stay in Durban. As the school holidays in SA just started, all nice guest houses and appartements (incl. timeshares) were more or less booked or were asking rates over 1.500 ZAR per night. As the Hilton is not a typical tourist hotel, but more one for conferences and business, they were not so busy and offered room with bf for around 1.100 ZAR per night.
As I Hilton HHonours Gold member I received an uprgrade to the lounge floor (14th floor).
Already on my arrival I was told that I should proceed to the lounge for check-in. This way I had less waiting time to get into my room. The staff upstairs was very friendly and helpfull and I was done within minutes.
Having access to the lounge gave me the opportunity to take my bf either downstairs in the restaurant (till 10.30am) or upstairs in the lounge (till 11am). If you want something thats offered downstaird but not upstairs, just ask for it and it will be brought upstairs.
Beside breakfast they did offer a High Tea between 3 and 5pm (with excellent sandwiches and good cake and pastry selection) as well as light snacks in the evening (usually two warm dishes, cheese, fruit, canapes and a cake for dessert). In addition to this they have an open bar till 10.30pm with a very good selection.
The rooms are well maintained....the beds are medium soft....the bathtub is full size (so you can actually stretch out with 1,90m like me) and there is an additional shower in each bath.
Parking is provided under the hotel (not sure if there is a fee for hotel guests).
Internet is provided wireless and via cable. I received it complimentary with user ID and Pin, which was always valid for 24 hrs. The card was distributed via the concierge lounge. If you dont have your own laptop with you, there is one for free usage in the lounge (for the first 15 minutes or longer if no one else is asking for).
The loung also has a small terrace with a view tables and chairs which can be used for smoking. As this place is facing the ocean its also perfect for a sundowner (if its not to windy in the evening).
The area around the hotel however is a little bit difficult in the evening and at night. We were told that we should use a cap or our own car to go to Florida Street (for bars and restaurants) or to the Victoria Street market (for African souveniers). During the night, it was a good decission...during the day you can actually walk to the beach, the Old Station (a small shopping center with a Pick and Pay superrmarket. For the Victoriy Street market you can use your rental car, as they do have secure underground parking available (dont trust the Google locations....its showing the wrong place).
Be aware that Durban has changed some street names recently. So there is no more Victoria or Queen Street any longer. But Google can translate it into the new street names.
We found the best prices for African souveniers on the street at the Golden Mile (Beach area).
After a day out in the city...at the beaches...or shopping it was always nice to know where we are coming back to in the evening. Therefore the location of the hotel has no influence on my rating. The staff was always helpfull...no matter whom you asked.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Durban is an iconic landmark hotel offering superior accommodations in a supreme location near the Durban International Convention Center. All rooms offer panoramic views of the city or the Natal coastline, with easy access to Durban's beaches and central business district, perfect for meetings or events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hilton Durban reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Durban Hotel Durban
- Hilton International Durban