“good base”

Ranked #3 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Brisbane, Australia
“good base”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

arrived off a long haul and was hoping to have a early check-in...was not disappointed.
great reception staff who expediated entire process with friendliest disposition. staff outstanding thro'out; rooms more than adequate if being used as a base (wouldnt have minded more time lying in....bedding was superior as were the bath ameneties. breakfast was a treat with some local flavours adding some spice and interest. overall, a comfortable stay.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Its so great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectation after a long haul flight, and our team were able to give you a true Hilton Experience.

When you return to Hilton Durban, do let me know so I can personally ensure all your requirements are taken care off.

Journey Ambassador

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Turkish first
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Staff at check in were great. Good parkin underground. Room was average to good for this part of the world. Very disappointing dinner - ordered chicken off the menu that was raw in the middle. Maitre'd was attentive, directed me to the buffet ' so my colleague would not have to wait for me to finish eating'. Only problem was that buffet was basically finished. Not a great business dinner frankly and left a bad taste......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HiltonDurban, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Beacon 94, Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your standards on this occasions. I have pasted on your comments with regards to your dining experience to our Food and Beverage Manager and Chef.

When you return to our hotel, please do ask for me at check in, so I can ensure all your requirements are met.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Perfect location as it is next to the Durban ICC. Stayed there during Ramadhan and they even had a Ramadhan menu, which unfortunately wasn't great. Friendly staff.

Its not suitable for holiday accommodation as its not on the beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Explorer 786, thank you for your constructive feedback. Yes the hotel is close to the Durban ICC.

I will pass on your comments to the chef with regards to the Ramadhan menu.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Durban soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 7, 2012

If you want a hotel that will make you feel right at home, then the Hilton Durban is it. It is centrally located and conveniently situated next to the Durban ICC. The staff are welcoming, very helpful and willing to accommodate your special requests. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, clean and kitted out with everything you need. I had such a great night's sleep that I even enquired about the make of the bed. The restaurant serves great food and seems to be a popular choice with the locals as well. The banqueting facilities are top class and run by a professional team. Overall, this hotel is about Durban hospitality at its best and I look forward to returning there soon.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, ask for a sea-facing room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
SquidSandton, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor, and on behalf of the Team I would like to thank you.

Its also great to hear when the staff together with the hotel are able to live up to your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments, and do let me know when you return to our hotel, so I can unsure all your expectations are met.

Texas City, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Hilton Durban does many things right. The hotel restaurants have really good food. The breakfast buffet is the best part of the hotel. Many offerings, well prepared. Restaurant service is excellent. The lobby restaurant serves tasty snacks and meals, including fish and chips and local favorite "Bunny Chow", curried meats served in hollowed out loaves of bread. Unfortunately the hotel lacks in other important areas. The rooms are getting a bit run down. The internet is expensive, even for regular Hilton guests. Toiletries were more sparse than expected in the room. The weather was cool in Durban when I was there, and my room was cold. I hunted about in the room for the thermostat, and when I found it, realized that it was set up for cooling (Durban gets hot in their summer) but not to also heat. This is a great big hotel in an otherwise globally respected brand, but really, no heat? Are you kidding me? Reception sent me up an extra comforter. I wore a sweater in the room. If I ever returned to Durban I would choose another hotel.

The hotel is located next to a convention center, which is handy for business meetings and conventions.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room with a view of the ocean....and bring a sweater for the room in the winter...
1 Thank Bahnreise
, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Bahnreise, it’s always good to receive constructive feedback and I thank you on behalf of the team.

It is good to hear that you found the restaurant food really good, especially the breakfast, and the service in the restaurant excellent.

Please note I have passed on your comments with regards to the heating to our Maintenance Manager to action.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We came to Durban in June to run the Comrades marathon and we stayed at the Hilton for six nights. The location of this hotel for Comrades couldn't have been better, it was literally across the road from the expo and a short walk from the stadium at the finish for the down run. The hotel does everything to cater to runners for this event including an incredibly early pre-race breakfast. I have attached a photo I took of the expo from our room to show just how close it was.

We had a standard king room which was very comfortable and the king size bed was fantastic and super comfy. There was heaps of space of us and the room had everything we needed.

We organised airport transfers before we left and on arrival the driver was waiting for us. The only problem we had was the transfer when we left did not arrive (I think it was actually forgotten to be booked even though we had confirmed the pick up time the previous afternoon). An airport shuttle bus eventually picked us up and we just made our flight however it was not a very pleasant journey, the saving grace was that it was very cheap at only R70 each. It was unfortunate that our only negative encounter here occurred just as we were leaving.

The food at the hotel was great and my partner really enjoyed the dinner buffet's (he loves eating!) as did I. I am vegetarian and didn't find this a problem at all as there were plenty of veggie options, I especially loved the baked beans and mushrooms at breakfast! We both ate VERY well during our stay here, if I hadn't run an ultra marathon I am sure I would have put on weight!

The staff were fantastic and very helpful whenever we had questions (except the person on duty when we were leaving who wasn't very friendly or particularly concerned about getting us to the airport).

One thing to be aware of is the internet, if you buy a card this is only valid for 24 hours which we thought was a bit rough as we wanted to use if for a short time over a couple of days and hadn't realised this when we purchased it. We are however used to hotels that seem to like ripping people off on internet, strange but it seems to be a common theme around the world. There is an internet cafe at The Workshop which is a very easy walk during the day, there are also a multitude of shops here including a supermarket which is handy.

This is a lovely hotel to stay at and we will definitely be staying here again when we come back in 2014 to run The Comrades again.

I also had a great massage in the spa on the premises which was very good value and the ladies there are lovely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on your stay at Hilton Durban.

Comrades is always a very exciting time at Hilton Durban, and we pride ourselves in ensuring our runners are well taken cared off during this period. We have a special dinner organized for the runners the night before comrades, so they are able to carbo load prior to the marathon.

The morning of the race, we also ensure the runners have a good breakfast before they leave the hotel, as we are totally aware that they will need all the energy and support.

You comments with the transportation has been noted, however we have had a few complaints with regards to the shuttle service hence we recommend our transfer company that you did arrive with to the hotel, as the public shuttle services go around all hotels before going to the airport.

Thank you again for your comments and please do let me know when you arrive for your next comrades , so I can ensure all your needs are met and your have another enjoyable stay.

Warmest Regards

Northampton
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stayed here when the Top Gear Live event was on in June this year, this hotel was picked as I was unsure what I was going to find in Durban and wanted a safe bet.
The hotel was everything you'd want, the rooms were great and always clean, the staff couldn't have tried harder. I had the best nights sleep here in years.
One of the best things was the breakfasts, I've never had such a selection of foods for breakfast and everything was so fresh it was just fantastic.
Go to Rivets bar, Castle beer was only £1.90 a pint, so this is one place you will find value for money as well.

Room Tip: Get a room as high as you can, there are excellent views of Durban
2 Thank StLucianStig
, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Durban, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

It’s always nice receiving fantastic feedback and I thank you.

I am glad we were able to meet and exceed your expectation as your chosen hotel in Durban whilst you were here to enjoy Top Gear.

Well the next time you visit our hotel, please do ask for myself at reception so I can ensure all you requests are exceeded once again.