“Average”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Expectations are generally based on price so we weren't expecting too much. It's an average property recently refurbished (not expensively) they could have gone for a 32" LED TV rather than the postage stamp size monitor, it is 2014 after all.

Wi-Fi couldn't connect my devices kept saying network was too slow.

Check-in and out was efficient.

Cappuccino was good.

I don't like shower over bath but that's a subjective thing.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your valuable feedback.

The bedrooms at the Elangeni tower for part of the final phase of the refurbishment programme and have not eyt been upgraded. We are currently finalising the scope of works, which will include the bathrooms (adressing the shower over the bath).

The bedrooms at the Maharani tower have undergone the refurbishment, with the option of wither a 4-piece bathroom or a bathroom with a maxi shower.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani in the near future.

Samantha

Write a ReviewReviews (2,178)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

we spent eleven nights in this great hotel. It is not cheap not only considering south african prices, but also for our spanish standards. Rooms are not so big, and the bathroom looks old, but the sea view is simply awsome.

It is a big hotel, and sometimes you have tyo wait for too long for the elevators. Staff are kind, but it is difficult to comunicate with them in "international english", so you have to be patient in order to avoid misunderstandings.

Breakfast buffet is quite good, so many dishes, fruit, sweets, whatever. We like healthy food and there were fresh fruit, juices, whatever. Good coffe, also. And local food (to much for us)

The 24th hour gym was empty most of the time, with some good free weights and treadmills. Over the average for a hotel. Swimming pool, on the other hand, was a mess. Crowded, not so clean (so many children), not an option for us.

A good tv screen (flat), quite decent WIFI, comfortable bed, empy but usefull fridge make our days comfortable in the Elangeny. And the best thing, LOCATION. We were atending an international waveski contest on the beach, and we need only five minutes walking to be there.

We also tried its three restaurants, the japanese one, another one with a good buffet and a third one with very good steaks. Very satisfied with all of them.

Next visit to Durban, we will come back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and enjoyed the variety of dining options available in both towers.

Unfortunately the rooms in the Elangeni tower have not yet been refurbished. We are currently finalising the programme and scope of works, which will include an upgrade of the bathroom. I am sure that these modifications will enhance your future stays - we look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Durban.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Elangeni, loosely translated, means "at the the sun" in isiZulu. It is no wonder that this esablishment is likely to bring sunshine to your holiday. In fact, on a clear Durban morning you are likely to be woken up by beautiful sun rays finding their way through the curtains; as you open the curtains you can see the tranquil Indian ocean with a few ships on their way to the habour. The hotel is practically less than five minutes walk to the beach. A number of very good restaurants are within the hotel itself and there are quite a few within walking distance. It took us less than 30 minutes to drive from the airport to the hotel. We were welcomed by the warmth and friendliness of the staff and our room was spacious and clean.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms provide the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Durban, with the beautiful view of the Indian Ocean for your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Durban.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am not the person who likes complaining unnecessary. However, this time I felt I should raise this with senior at Head Office as I was embarrassed.
Me and the wife came for Durban for Comrades. I redeemed my sunrands (R3752) to book and reserve our accommodation.

When I checked in, I was told to settle my full bill before they could check me in. The lady at reception said they are trying to avoid curb scammers who don't pay on check out. I agreed to settle the difference, though this felt strange.

Little did I know that for each and every room service that I order, I had to pay instead of being charged to my room. I raised this with the manager (Robert) who also insisted that I must pay cash.

I short I am disappointed, i am never coming back

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Please accept my sincere apologies for the manner in which our policies were explained to you upon arrival - a pre-authorisation for incidentals is required in order for incidental charges to be charges to your room. Although our Guests have the option of not providing this and settling for these charges directly.

I sincerely apologies for any embarrassement which may have been caused.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Keep it up your good work and business. my stay was very muuch combatable I thank the staff. All the rooms are decently taken care of and bathrooms are clean and appealing. the aisles look smart and beau

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and the staff exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Durban.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Keep the excellent customer service. The room was clean. The location was convenient to my meeting place. I really enjoyed my breakfast and dinner. The staff from the receptionist ,dining hall and laundry were super

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Nepo M
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Durban.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

When I checked in at the Maharani I was told that I had been booked in at the Elangeni but they were able to check me in there. I prefer the Maharani because the rooms are bigger and there is a better view of sea and parts of Durban from their rooms. They changed my booking to the Maharani and gave me a room I asked for. Dinner at the Elangeni (carvery) was amazing with so many dishes to choose from. I also ate at the Grill at the Elangeni which was very nice. The two towers have been renovated and there are many restaurants to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the north side of the hotel because some of the rooms near the lifts have a wall o...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Whilst the two towers have been amalgamated into one complex, we are aware that some of our guests have a preference to stay in a particular tower. In order to facilitate this, our room types on our website detail the tower in which they are situated.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay as well as the dining facilities of the Elangeni tower and look forward to welcoming you back soon.