“Lovely stay on beautiful beachfront”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The rooms are beautiful, with a huge bathroom, king size bed, tv and tea/coffee tray and fridge. Views from the room are breathtaking. Breakfast buffet has everything to offer - food is delicious, fresh, and the service excellent.
The pooldeck is stunning with very efficient pool services, Although it is a big hotel, we were impressed by the efficient lifts, parking, and friendly staff. My first choice to stay in Durban, as the beach is only a step away.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 18th floor..stunning views
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and enjoyed the new facilities on offer at the Complex.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Durban soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel on numerous occassions, however, the service recieved this time was shocking.
The bar fridge in the room was not working, the room was not made up on a few occassions. The days that the room was serviced, no replacement towels were provided.
I requested a change in room on a number of occassions, however, this request was declined all the time. I paid for undercover parking, at the full rate, yet, was denied access to the undercover basement.
I certainly would think twice before considering staying a the Elangeni again.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the hotel not meeting your expectations. Your feedback has been passed onto the relevant managers in order for them to take the necessary corrective action.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

The service was exellent. The room was very comfortable and the location was perfect. The best part was that of the neatness of the entrance hall and the good staff. The only bad experience I had was with the porter on checkout who was not that friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the way in which the porter treated you upon departure. I would like to assure you that this is certainly not the standard that we pride ourselves on delivering. I am delighted that, despite this, you had a memorable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Service- a friendly smile would have been nice to be recieved when entering the hotel,I did not feel welcome entering the hotel,As a client I did not have a welcoming experience in Elangeni,My room was not arranged as I have arranged,an my parking which I have book a few months prior was not arranged,as I was told I had to park in maharani,not impressed,Breakfast,goin to breakfast was a wait an them im told to go next door to go an eat as i might be waititng a while to eat,if i wanted to staty in Maharani,Room service,ordered sumthing which come to the room which is not what i wanted,towels,nto enough towels to accommodate all the guest,waiting period is 30minutes,my wife an kids go down to the reception area to order latte an cake,only to make them wait for 30 minutes an then to be told cant be served as they will be closing an need to served in plastic cups,my kids were very upset as they wanted the freshly cakes that were bake,that is def not making anyone feel welcome,I have come to Maharani which this year i thought i would stay at Elangeni,i would never want to stay at Elangeni ever as i not feel welcomed,where as Maharani the quality of service is at a high rate which makes u feel u on holiday an makes u feel like staying at that hotel over an over again.My room which was cleaned every day but def not to my satisfaction,for two hole days an ashtray was not cleaned but just left there for me to clean it,on Friday 10/01/2014 my room was not even cleaned by 13:40,which i had to complain to actually to be made up

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Pleae accept my sincere apologies for the impression created that you were not welcome. This is most certainly not the impression that we wish to create.

With the amalgamation of the two icon hotels into one destination complex, the facilities of the Elangeni tower and Maharani tower are combined, in order to offer our guests a variety of choices. We had a choice of 5 venues for breakfast, in order to minimise the queues. The staff were merely offering an alternative to waiting for a table by offering you an alternative venue in which to dine.

During season, the housekeeping team balance the cleaning of occupied rooms with arrival rooms, to ensure that arrival rooms are ready for Guests at 14h00. Unfortunately, this does result in some occupied rooms being service late - however, all rooms are serviced by 16h00.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed at Elangeni for 12 Nights between December / January and considering I booked an executive room, I was not totally satisfied. When I arrived to my room, outside the room was bags of dirt that I had to get the cleaning staff to remove. The room and bathroom appeared to be "tired" compared to the standard rooms at Maharani. We had to phone regularly for water, wash towels, etc. as this was not replaced on each visit by the cleaners. Their is no family area and this is was a huge disappointment. On the positive side, the breakfast was great and the staff was friendly.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

As part of the amalgamation of the Elangeni & Maharani into one destination complex, the refurbishment of the Maharani tower has been completed. The refurbishment programme of the bedrooms at the Elangeni tower is due to commence in 2014.

We have created a hub on the pooldeck of the Elangeni tower, in order to accommodate the whole family - Panorama bar, two pool decks, a sand pit play area on the back pool deck and the Mangwanani Spa. A children's entertainment programme runs from 13 December - 09 January, offering children's activities. Unfortunately, due to space limitations, we are unable to provide a facility similar to a resort.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Please train your staff to be more appropriate towards guests. I was told by a cleaning staff at the pool area at Elangeni not to make the floor wet. Another guest overheard me telli.g my husband & expressed how furious she was when she was told the same. When I requested to see a manager, I was told one is busy & one is at dinner. The room cleaner walked in twice in our room unannounced doing as she pleases while we were in the room without seeking permission or apologising. Why are there no do not disturb signs? Also I was charged for parking when checking out. When I asked my husband he said he had already paid upon arrival. I had to go back for a refund. Surely the payment is recorded on the system. A very beautiful hotel but the service standard did not match. Please address these issues. Awaiting a response.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank acassim

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Pleae accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service etiquette received from the housekeeping team. Your feedback has been passed on the Executive Housekeeper in order that she may take the necessary corrective action.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

excellent place to be on Holiday great stay very central love to be on holiday at elangeni beautiful beaches great Atmosphere good food good entertainment excellent services child friendly will difinately come back

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay and enjoyed the enhanced facilities on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.