“Great hotel on durbans beachfront”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there in dec 13 for a couple of nights and loved it! Great renovated rooms with direct sea view. Excellent location at durbans beachfront. Friendly and welcoming stuff. Oh and we enjoyed the room service food selection too :-)

• Stayed: December 2013
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorbale stay and look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Durban.

There are newer reviews for Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked this hotel (Maharani Tower) for a conference at the nearby Durban International Convention Centre. It is only 1 km away but I was repeatedly warned by the hotel staff not to walk there at night. Durban is apparently a very dangerous city. One night, coming back from a late dinner, I was next to a car at an intersection that was taken down by police. There were guns drawn, screaming and rascals lying face down on the ground. Glad I was in a taxi that time! Felt safe in the hotel though, just avoid the streets at night.

The hotel is directly across from the beach. The view is amazing. The rooms are fine and typical of other Sun properties we have stayed in. The room service is free of charge, has great options and is very affordable. Parking is R50 per day and seems secure. Overall, we had a fine stay. We did not love Durban but would consider staying at this hotel if we find ourselves in the city again for some reason.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that the hotel met your expectations, however, I deeply regret your experience whilst on your way back to the hotel. I can assure you that this is most definitely an isolated incident. As in most Cities in the world, as a precautionary measure, tourists are advised to be vigilant when out of the hotel.

I do hope that you will visit Durban again i nthe future.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

If you want to experience The Durban Beachfront this is definitely the place to stay. Spectacukar beach views and prime location make this a jewel.
Check in was a bit of a nightmare as there is limited parking in front of the hotel with overflow a block away on an old sports field. The rooms are neat and clean and the breakfast is excellent. There is also a host of good restaurants on the premises.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a sea facing room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for takign the timeto post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay, despite the difficulties experienced upon arrival due to limited parking in the porte cochere.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Good value hotel in Durban. Rooms are decent sized and clean with views of the ocean. Breakfast was great when you considered its mass prepared, obviously not as good if it was cooked to order, but its a buffet so obviously you lose a little bit with that style. Great beach right across the street and the hotel is walking distance to the Suncoast casino or the Ushaka aquarium during the day (wouldn't walk it alone at night). Multiple restaurants on site if you don't want to leave the premises. Overall we liked the hotel and didn't really see any significant better options on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay, enjoying the newly renovated hotel and new facilities - as well as the local attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Durban.

Excellent
I'm completely satisfied with elangeni maharani. I was really worth my money. I had four rooms booked under my name.we used to get towels for the beach at the reception and I think that's a wow service

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay at the Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I always stay at this hotel when I'm in Durban. This time my experience was a little different.

I booked my stay in September for December. I battled for days to get reservation staff to respond to my emails. It was only after I had emailed the general manager to complain did I get a response.

Then checking in was a little unpleasant. Check in time is 2 pm, I arrived at the hotel at 12pm. I had booked 2 rooms. Frikkie at check in was extremely slow - looked like his batteries were flat. By 12.35pm he gave me 1 room which I was extremely grateful for.

The 2nd room was only given to me after 3pm after I raised my voice a little and demanded to speak to the manager and voila a room was available. Like magic.

The breakfast was great. Good variety of food and efficient staff at the egg station even when they were busy at peak times. We'll done!!

All staff at breakfast were friendly and helpful except for Zama who had a terrible attitude.

The rooms were cleaned daily to our satisfaction. Bathrooms were recently renovated.

Hotel location is the best in Durban in my opinion.

Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your feedback, which we received from your survey.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the frustration caused during the reservations process and upon arrival. Your feedback has been passed onto the respective management in order for them to take the necessary corrective action.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Nothing bad to say about this newly revamped hotel. Breakfast manager knew my name and room number, waitresses knew what I liked to eat! Truly personal. The breakfast was divine too! Great location, fantastically revamped, comfortable, fast lifts, friendly and helpful service. .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your positive comments regarding the breakfast team. The recognition that they give their Guests first thing in the morning really does make all the difference.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the newly revamped facilities and look forward to welcoming you back soon.