Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Hilton Durban(Durban)
  • Restaurant
SUN1 Durban(Durban)
2,276 results
All reviewsocean breezetsogo sunpool deckindian oceangolden mileroom servicedurban beachfrontsea facingexcellent servicefamily roomrooms are spaciousenjoyed my staypleasant stayvigourvervedarumasamantha
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am a frequent visitor at this hotel and I can confirm that the service is seriously a problem. I have been told by the group CEO today that I am called the "Trouble Maker". The DSTV does not work, the breakfast is of concern, the new Ocean Restaurants uncomfortable with tables all right next to each other etc. The other problem the hotel I picked up was that the eggs been fried is fried in some kind of FAT not oil, the oil used is lumpy and white in color. I was told that when oil gets cold it turns this color. This is of major concern to halaal and vegetarian clients. Rooms are very old and believe me I found a cockroach, this is understandable for Durban. By the way a staff member not confirmed that the mixture used to fry eggs is fat, due to intimidation he does not want to be named. Avoid the lower floors the lifts are a mess.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
20  Thank Ebrahim L
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The underlying strength of this hotel is the staff compliment who would go out of their way to assist. The food was scrumptious - the buffet was generous with a great assortment. The location is superb. The only downside was the construction linking the Elangeni and the Maharani, but a small inconvenience that will prove to be worth the while later.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay, despite the disruption caused by the construction (thank you for your patience).

I assure you that the new facilities will most definitely enhance your future stays - we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

If this is 5 stars then I don't know, I would rather stay in a tent than return to this hotel, parking 2 blocks away after getting told not to walk around after dark, dstv not working, the service is non existing, workers fighting over lifts and walking through the restaraunt shouting at each other while we are trying to enjoy a meal, surprised we even managed to get a key card, if you want to go somewhere overpriced for a caravan park then this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Although we are not a 5* hotel, it appears that the service that you received during your stay was not of the standard that we pride ourselves in delivering. I would like make contact with you to obtain more details in order to take the necessary corrective steps.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Only here for one very brief night - had a leave at 3am for early flight and power was off in hotel from late evening till 3am - so difficult to be fair. It was nearly dark when we arrived and very very windy so didn't get best impression of location. We were on the 10th floor and were very surprised to find that we could open the windows quite wide!! Rooms were typical big city hotel rooms but spacious and clean. Several bars and restaurants to choose from and though it was very busy service was efficient and we ate well.
And the management did send cards of apology and a bowl of fruit to us at a later hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Once again, please accept my sincee apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the power outage in the early morning. Unfortunately, this was due to urgent repairs that were carried out to our power supply.

I trust that this did not spoil your visit to our beautiful city.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

durbans north beach is filled with different hotels offering various things to do and see but i found the maharani perfect for a weekend getaway even though some areas were under construction it was a pleasant stay the onlybreakfast was fast and yummy. cant wait to return.

Room Tip: rooms that are far from the elevator have less noise
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay - despite the construction works and we look forward to welcoming oyu back soon.