Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
$128
  • Restaurant
$111
  • Pool
The Concierge Boutique Bungalows(Durban)(Great Value!)
$96
$118
$89
Cancelon
2,276 results
All reviewsocean breezetsogo sunpool deckindian oceangolden mileroom servicedurban beachfrontsea facingexcellent servicefamily roomrooms are spaciousenjoyed my staypleasant stayvigourvervedarumasamantha
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Checked in on May 9th 2013. They have new restaurants opened and a great dinner buffet for about $24 USD or 210Rand. The one queen sized bed room we stayed in was nice, clean and very comfortable, but a bit small. The large oceanside window opens to offer a great view of the ocean and beach. There is free wifi but the system only allows for one specific device to get the complementary service. Paid service is offered reasonably.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay - our wi-fi facility has now been adapted to allow guests to connect three devices at a time - I am sure that this will enhance your expereince during any future stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Elangeni for a week. The location is nice with easy access to the beach but we were not informed that the pool would be under construction and just three floors below our window. There is minimal seating in the lobby and the front entrance is also under construction. Despite the wonderful staff, especially the concierge service with Moses and Michael, the hotel was a disapointment because we were not prepared for the inconvenience of the large construction effort going.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during the recent renovations. I am delighted to report that phase one is now complete - which includes an exciting new restaurant concept, Grill Jichana as well as a revitalised pool deck, equipped with a superb Panorama Bar, where our guests are able to enjoy a drink, whilst taking the the amazing view of the Indian ocean.

Phase two, which incorporates a Spa facility as well as a new conference venue will be less invasive to our Guests.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Reception desk was extremely unprofessional and unhelpful. Actually the worse i have ever experienced in all my travels.

I booked 1 night at the hotel as i was attending a wedding there which i had especially flown in for.

After indicating on my booking that i expected to arrive for an early check-in, the receptionist told me my room would only be ready in an hour. (I arrived 15mins before i indicated i needed the room). I went to lunch and on my return the same receptionist ignored me letting me stand in front of her for about 5 minutes with no queue pretending to be assisting a colleague. I was literally standing 2 meters away from her. She waited until a third receptionist arrived at the desk to then turn to me and direct me to the new colleague.

I had prepaid for the booking (parking was a seperate charge) and the now new receptionist, to my amazement, sneered when i indicated that i would be paying for the parking by card and not cash (which was obviously her preference).

On Checkout i had a similar experience, litterally took me ten minutes to just hand in the room key. The concierge staff behind the desk refused to accept it and made me wait in a queue whilst they just stood and smiled. Surely Tsogo Sun should be using these staff at busy checkouts.

When i eventually was helped by the ame lady who sneered at my card payment, she promptly took the room key and said "thats it". No good day sir, did you have a great stay, or have a nice day.

Worst of all I am a member of the Frequent guest club (booking made with the detail) and not once was this acknowledged when they must have surely known.

Spend the following Monday in the Sun Square hotel (another one in the same group) and got the usual Tsogo sun hospitality i am used to.

Really poor Elangeni.... you need to get rid of your recoptionists.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincee apologies for the lapse in standards and lack of service received from our Reception Desk. Your comments have been passed onto the relevant manager to ensure that this is addressed in future training.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This has probably got to be one of the worst hotel for seminars and congress.
The management will lie and deceive you so that you will book an event with them only to spring surprises on you and dampen your event.

1) Though our event was book 2 years in advance, the mgmt did not have the decency to tell us that the whole hotel will be going under renovation. A congress on a mega scale was marred with construction and scafoldings on the outside. This made transportation inaccessible from all entrance. On top of that, there are workers right in front of your hotel window looking into your room.

2) The pool and the health club was under renovation and not able to be used.

3) They announced once and conveniently did not inform the guest that there will be no water from Sun evening to monday evening. Hence, you cant brush your teeth nor take a shower early in the morning.

This has got to be the most ridiculous mgmt and I will recommend any event company not to use this hotel in the future unless you want your client's event to become a nightmare. Secondly, do not go with the company EVENT DYNAMICS, who organised ours and conveniently did not inform us of the renovation will our guest and us arrived internationally.

The event was a nightmare to all our guests.

Room Tip: Check with others before booking a room.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during the recent renovations. Unfortunately, renovations are necessary in order to keep our product relevant in the market and it is not always possible to determine accurate programmes two years in advance, although we endevour to inform all of our Guests and conference organisers of renovations timeously.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was a bit distressed on arrival to find the hotel entrance hoarded up and gondolas hanging along the front of the hotel, necessitating arrival via the back door. Reading recent reviews, it appears that it was time for some refurbishing, but it was unfortunate to have to stay there through it.
I was first shown to a room with 2 double beds. Perhaps the Feng Shui was just bad for me, but I found it very 1970's Motel 6-ish, and extremely depressing. I asked to be given a single bedded room and it was much better, and as I there for 8 nights for a major conference, I would have found another hotel if it hadn't.
The rooms are all sea facing and this is a big plus. The bath had recently been redone, and was nice, although I always prefer a separate long bath and shower, and this one is a combination tub-shower. The bed was comfortable, but the other furniture still looked a little tired and low-rent. The room also suffered from the all-too-common meat-locker level of airconditioning on arrival. Do people really like to sleep in 16 degrees? Worse still, do people like their bathroom at 16 degrees? I surely don't!
The next day was sunny and warm and the room warmed up. The windows actually open and a pleasant and softly salty ocean breeze was a real pleasure.
The pool and gym facilities were closed and apparently, one could use the neighbouring building's, but the beach promenade was just in front and a morning walk/run was a good start to the day.
The selection at breakfast was very complete and tasty. I love hotel breakfast buffets, and this one was up there with the best.
The conference facilities were very well run, and the food at tea/coffee breaks was very good. Somehow, I managed not to gain weight.

Room Tip: Doubles feel crowded and are not recommended. All rooms are sea facing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite the renovations taking place. We are in the process of amalgamating the Southern Sun Elangeni with her sister hotel, Southern Sun North Beach, soon to be known as Southern Sun Elangeni&Maharani.

Phase three of the refurbishment incorporates the upgrading of the bedrooms in the Elangeni tower - the rooms at the Maharani tower have already been refurbished.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Durban and to our new property.