“Wait until they finish the construction”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Elangeni for a week. The location is nice with easy access to the beach but we were not informed that the pool would be under construction and just three floors below our window. There is minimal seating in the lobby and the front entrance is also under construction. Despite the wonderful staff, especially the concierge service with Moses and Michael, the hotel was a disapointment because we were not prepared for the inconvenience of the large construction effort going.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during the recent renovations. I am delighted to report that phase one is now complete - which includes an exciting new restaurant concept, Grill Jichana as well as a revitalised pool deck, equipped with a superb Panorama Bar, where our guests are able to enjoy a drink, whilst taking the the amazing view of the Indian ocean.

Phase two, which incorporates a Spa facility as well as a new conference venue will be less invasive to our Guests.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Write a ReviewReviews (2,100)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Reception desk was extremely unprofessional and unhelpful. Actually the worse i have ever experienced in all my travels.

I booked 1 night at the hotel as i was attending a wedding there which i had especially flown in for.

After indicating on my booking that i expected to arrive for an early check-in, the receptionist told me my room would only be ready in an hour. (I arrived 15mins before i indicated i needed the room). I went to lunch and on my return the same receptionist ignored me letting me stand in front of her for about 5 minutes with no queue pretending to be assisting a colleague. I was literally standing 2 meters away from her. She waited until a third receptionist arrived at the desk to then turn to me and direct me to the new colleague.

I had prepaid for the booking (parking was a seperate charge) and the now new receptionist, to my amazement, sneered when i indicated that i would be paying for the parking by card and not cash (which was obviously her preference).

On Checkout i had a similar experience, litterally took me ten minutes to just hand in the room key. The concierge staff behind the desk refused to accept it and made me wait in a queue whilst they just stood and smiled. Surely Tsogo Sun should be using these staff at busy checkouts.

When i eventually was helped by the ame lady who sneered at my card payment, she promptly took the room key and said "thats it". No good day sir, did you have a great stay, or have a nice day.

Worst of all I am a member of the Frequent guest club (booking made with the detail) and not once was this acknowledged when they must have surely known.

Spend the following Monday in the Sun Square hotel (another one in the same group) and got the usual Tsogo sun hospitality i am used to.

Really poor Elangeni.... you need to get rid of your recoptionists.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincee apologies for the lapse in standards and lack of service received from our Reception Desk. Your comments have been passed onto the relevant manager to ensure that this is addressed in future training.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This has probably got to be one of the worst hotel for seminars and congress.
The management will lie and deceive you so that you will book an event with them only to spring surprises on you and dampen your event.

1) Though our event was book 2 years in advance, the mgmt did not have the decency to tell us that the whole hotel will be going under renovation. A congress on a mega scale was marred with construction and scafoldings on the outside. This made transportation inaccessible from all entrance. On top of that, there are workers right in front of your hotel window looking into your room.

2) The pool and the health club was under renovation and not able to be used.

3) They announced once and conveniently did not inform the guest that there will be no water from Sun evening to monday evening. Hence, you cant brush your teeth nor take a shower early in the morning.

This has got to be the most ridiculous mgmt and I will recommend any event company not to use this hotel in the future unless you want your client's event to become a nightmare. Secondly, do not go with the company EVENT DYNAMICS, who organised ours and conveniently did not inform us of the renovation will our guest and us arrived internationally.

The event was a nightmare to all our guests.

Room Tip: Check with others before booking a room.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during the recent renovations. Unfortunately, renovations are necessary in order to keep our product relevant in the market and it is not always possible to determine accurate programmes two years in advance, although we endevour to inform all of our Guests and conference organisers of renovations timeously.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was a bit distressed on arrival to find the hotel entrance hoarded up and gondolas hanging along the front of the hotel, necessitating arrival via the back door. Reading recent reviews, it appears that it was time for some refurbishing, but it was unfortunate to have to stay there through it.
I was first shown to a room with 2 double beds. Perhaps the Feng Shui was just bad for me, but I found it very 1970's Motel 6-ish, and extremely depressing. I asked to be given a single bedded room and it was much better, and as I there for 8 nights for a major conference, I would have found another hotel if it hadn't.
The rooms are all sea facing and this is a big plus. The bath had recently been redone, and was nice, although I always prefer a separate long bath and shower, and this one is a combination tub-shower. The bed was comfortable, but the other furniture still looked a little tired and low-rent. The room also suffered from the all-too-common meat-locker level of airconditioning on arrival. Do people really like to sleep in 16 degrees? Worse still, do people like their bathroom at 16 degrees? I surely don't!
The next day was sunny and warm and the room warmed up. The windows actually open and a pleasant and softly salty ocean breeze was a real pleasure.
The pool and gym facilities were closed and apparently, one could use the neighbouring building's, but the beach promenade was just in front and a morning walk/run was a good start to the day.
The selection at breakfast was very complete and tasty. I love hotel breakfast buffets, and this one was up there with the best.
The conference facilities were very well run, and the food at tea/coffee breaks was very good. Somehow, I managed not to gain weight.

Room Tip: Doubles feel crowded and are not recommended. All rooms are sea facing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, despite the renovations taking place. We are in the process of amalgamating the Southern Sun Elangeni with her sister hotel, Southern Sun North Beach, soon to be known as Southern Sun Elangeni&Maharani.

Phase three of the refurbishment incorporates the upgrading of the bedrooms in the Elangeni tower - the rooms at the Maharani tower have already been refurbished.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Durban and to our new property.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Check in was very good. I was greated warmly and enjoyed some juice whilst checking in. Wanted to change my room for a higher floor and was given a room upgrade. Although there are major renovations going on everything was clean and tidy. The views from the upper foors are amazing and it was great to hear the waves breaking. I have been staying at this hotel on business for a number of years and the restaurant's prices have increased at lot. The rooms are spacious and the new bathrooms are modern. New decor all over the hotel are welcoming. Enjoyed breakfast and service was great.

Room Tip: The rooms go from 01 upwards e.g. 2801 to 2810 so ask for a room with a higher number becasue the vi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and that you are enjoying the "new look".

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Staff at the hotel were great and the check in process was simple and quick. Elangeni is a lovely hotel but the building is getting a bit old and the rooms although very tastefully furnished are looking a bit aged. But please don't get me wrong, it is comfortable and clean and the pillows and beds are to die for. Breakfast was another grand experience, they cater for halaal diets and simply put breakfast was my favourite time of the day. The one thing which I can say didn't sit too well with me is that you have to pay extra for parking your car in their basement garage overnight. Also there is no elevator from the parking garage into the hotel so it's easier to offload luggage at the street level entrance of the hotel before parking your car. During our say, there were some renovations going on so the pool and gym area were off limits. The facilities were however available at their sister hotel, the Maharani two doors away. Although the renovations were supposed to be happening during office hours, they started at 8am on the Sunday morning we were checking out. We were up early but I did wonder if the other guests were frustrated with the noise.
But the best part of this hotel is the simply stunning view of the Indian Ocean especially on the higher floors.The beach is literally across the road - that is as close as it gets!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor and ask for an ocean view room. We were told that the corner room we had was a l...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay, despite the construction taking place. The first phase of this programme incorporates a new restaurant on the ground floor as well as a revitalised pool deck - I just know that you will enjoy the new look. The bedroom refurbishemnt forms part of phase 3 of this programme.

We look forward to welcoming you back i nthe near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

What an excellent family hotel! Checking-in over the Easter weekend was a total disaster, but the staff on duty tried their best to appease guests waiting in long queues. Having two small children, it was not easy waiting for check-in. When we finally received our room key, some 2 hours after, we were welcomed to a clean and comfortable family room.

The view from the 19th floor was amazing. I believe that the hotel has been recently renovated - it shows in its fresh look.

Buffet breakfast can certainly be upgraded. Being vegetarians, our choice of hot meals were limited. However staff were friendly and accomodating - by offering my 1 year old a high chair and pleasantly cleaning up after she had spilt her cereal on the floor.

Gym facilities are average.

On the whole - an excellent family stay. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay experienced upon arrival over the Easter weekend - I am delighted that despite this, you had a great stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.