“Good Overnight Stop -”

Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I travelled for work, and spent 1 night at this hotel. It was clean, and comfortable, but lacking any kind of WOW effect.

From walking into the hotel till getting to the room, the experiences are very varied. The reception area is well lit, and the check in was seamless. The lift, made the most disturbing noises on the way up, infact I was scared we were going to get stuck in it.

The Aircon in the room was not sufficient to combat the heat and humidity that Durban is known for, We ended up sleeping with the window's wide open, which of course let all the noise in from the very busy road below. The view from the room was spectacular.

The staff however are amazing ! As we arrived very late, they managed to help us with all of our requests, and printed out important documents that I needed for the next day.

We ordered room service, and the food was of a very good quality and inexpensive. The cost of the cooldrinks however is exhorbitant.

We were informed that Breakfast would be served from 7am the next morning, by 07:15 we were still not able to go into the dining room, as the staff were still setting up. This resulted in a very rushed breakfast on our part, as we needed to get to our meeting. The tea that I ordered was cold, and I had to ask 3 times for milk.
There was a lovely variety of food available, and all of a good quality. I did have to ask for a bread knife repeatedly to cut the bread...eventually giving up, simply because I was under time pressure.

I think that this hotel, has wonderful potential. The location and the views are amazing, however there is definately a strong need for a refurb.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service standards you expereinced during your stay.

A refurbishment to our public areas will commence this year, which will enhance our product offering. We are currently planning a refurbishment to the bedrooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Southern Sun Elangeni soon.

There are newer reviews for Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the North beach, the hotel has been upgraded, spacious rooms and bathrooms, and a redecorated foyer and reception area together with warm and friendly staff made us feel welcome and relaxed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Samantha_Croft, General Manager at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoy the "new" look for Southern Sun North Beach - we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

the hotel is one of the best and i enjoyed my stay but the only problem was the staff at the reception they are not welcoming and friendly and to me its like they were doing me a favour and our toilet was leaking water but the overall condition and service was the best

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the unwelcoming experience from the front desk staff - we have taken steps to address this as this is most definitely not the North Beach standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past and couldnt help but notice the declining standards on my last stay in December, which can only be described as a 3-star experience. Despite the 5-star room rates, the hotel is in desperate need of a revamp. The lifts, corridors, bathrooms and entertainment areas were all in extremely poor condition, while the hotel just feels "dirty".
But most dissapointing was the poor service by reception staff and shockingly poor service by the gentleman at the concierge. The overall experience left me wanting and I will not be returning until this hotel undergoes a serious revamp - both cosmetically as well as in terms of service.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service you expereinced from the reception and concierge staff - we view your comments in a serious light and have taken steps to improve on their hospitality.

The hotel will be undergoing to refurbishment to public areas this year, which will enhance the product. We are currently planning a refurbishment to the bedrooms.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Comfortable hotel. Friendly and efficient staff. In room space great especially with the kids. Good quality finishings.Breakfasts were great, although the waiters could smile more. Parking at the hotel could be better. Allround a good hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and enjoyed the new look of the hotel - we look forward to welcoming you and you family back in the near future

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were there at 14h10 to check in and our booked room were not ready yet but Freddie at reception made some quick interventions and get us into another room that became available which he think was more conducive seing that we had a child with us. At the time when we made the booking there were no family rooms available and they suggested a room with a king size bed and a couch for our son to sleep on. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the changed room 1007 have two double beds. It was so spacious and absolutely beautiful. It was a first time that I stayed in a hotel with my family and they were extremely happy about the luxury and beauty of our hotel room and more so the stunning seaview right in front of you (the window is as wide as the room) and walking distance to the beach and all other attractions such as Ushaka. Even though we did not get a parking at the hotel, the walk to and from the overflow parking felt safe and it was a nice experience. We completely forgot about the cost as it was worth every cent.

Room Tip: The sun is already up by 05h00 and on our last day (25 December) we enjoyed the beach from as early...

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Im was very dissapointed during my 3 night stay at Elangeni. Information wad poor,customer service was poor, i booked sea facing rooms but only got 1 despite having booked 3 months in advance. Im a freguent southern sun guest but i wont be frequenting Elangeni. I did not get value for my money. Not by a long shot

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in standards that you experienced during your recent stay. Your comments are viewed in a serious light and corrective steps have been taken to ensure that we improve on these areas.