“Amazing experience at Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Game Reserve”

Tim Brown Tours - Durban Safari Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Durban Day Safaris and Overnight Durban Safari Tours to visit the ‘Big 5’ nature reserves, Drakensberg mountains and the Battlefields of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa We are an owner run specialist Durban Safari “Big 5” and Durban Tour Operator company based near Durban. We have been operating out of Durban since February 2010 and focus our tailor made Durban Safaris and Durban Tours around the Durban and KwaZulu-Natal area of South Africa. Specialists in Nature Tours – Durban Safaris/Drakensberg Mountain Tours, Cultural Zulu Tours and Historical Battlefield Tours departing from Durban City. The main areas our Durban Safaris and Durban Tours are focused around are the ‘Big 5’ Hluhluwe Imfolozi game reserve for Safaris, Drakensberg mountains for hiking and scenic Tours. The Valley of 1000 Hills for Zulu cultural villages/Tours and township Tours as well as Dundee for Battlefield Safari Tours from Durban throughout KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Tim Brown Tours will tailor make a Safari from Durban or Tour from Durban to suit your specific requirements if you cannot find a listed Durban Safari or Durban Tour that meets your requirements. We will collect you from your Hotel in the Durban area and return you there after your Durban Safari or Durban Tour experience. We offer a high level of service and can be flexible with our Durban Day Safaris/Tours and our Durban overnight Safaris/Tours, to ensure that you our valued clients have the best possible experience on your Durban ‘Big 5’ Bush Safari, Drakensberg mountain Tour or Battlefield Historical Tour in and around our beautiful city of Durban, province KwaZulu-Natal and country of South Africa!
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We cannot praise Tim enough for what was surely an experience of a lifetime. We had planned at week long stay near Durban and decided to book Tim Brown Tours for a two-day trip to Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Game Reserve.
We opted for the two day trip, compare to a one day tour, because it would give us a more relaxed and less stressful experience, and in hindsight it was a wise decision, although if you only have a single day it would still be an experience you should not miss out on. The two days means a more varied tour and in Tim's company it is both compelling and a great laugh. He has a great knowledge of both the animals and nature, but also of the history and cultural aspects of South Africa.
We got to see lions, elephants, rhinos, giraffes, buffaloes and bavians - all extremely close - the lions and elephants approx. 2½ metres away! On the second day after our morning drive and breakfast we went to Lake St Lucia for a boat trip where we say crocodiles and hippos.
We spent the night at Hilltop Camp in Hluhluwe–iMfolozi which is a very nice lodge with friendly staff and good facilities.
All in all this was by far the highlight of a very good vacation in South Africa. We hereby give Tim Brown Tours our highest recommendations.
Cheers,
Manja and Pelle

TimBrownTours, Owner at Tim Brown Tours - Durban Safari Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you Pelle and Maja for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed your Tour. Will never forget those Lions! Thanks for sending the picture.

All reviews
"game drives"
in 9 reviews
"hluhluwe imfolozi"
in 13 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I traveled to South Africa with my husband, his parents, his brother and brother's girlfriend for a family wedding. We wanted to make a vacation out of it and Safari was on everyone's bucket list. I'm SO happy we stumbled upon Tim Brown - he made our entire trip what it was. It's obvious how passionate he is about what he does. From his extensive knowledge of the history of South Africa to how to find the animals, we never had a dull moment and I cannot wait to come back to South Africa and go on another game drive. My husband and I came away wanting to quit our jobs in the US and moved to SA to save the rhino's!

We went on a 3 day, two night trip to the Hilltop camp in Hluhluwe Umfolozi. Tim had everything planned and taken care of when we got there. We literally didn't have to do a thing, but worry about what we wanted to eat! There's many guides and tours you can take run by the Hilltop folks and you can always drive yourself around - but Tim lives and breathes this reserve and I firmly believe we had the best experience because of him. We saw too many Rhino's, Zebra's and Giraffe's to count! We even saw a rare Lion sighting - 3 males and a female relaxing after a kill. We were the first to come across them in the early morning hours, word spread fast and Tim was the envy of all the other guides! We were proud of him.

A friend of mine is planning a honeymoon to South Africa in December and asked for tips/suggestions. I had plenty but I told her if she took anything from my suggestions: BOOK A TRIP WITH TIME BROWN!!

Thank you Tim, we will be back some day!

Thank you Mr Davidson for your kind words, I am glad you all enjoyed your Tour.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have never written a tripadvisor review before, but after my amazing safari with Tim, I felt compelled to comment on what a good experience we had. My colleagues and I booked a two-day tour to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi with Tim based off of recommendations and tripadvisor reviews. This was a great choice, because Tim really made the trip worthwhile--he tirelessly searched for animals and had superhero vision that spotted animals far away in the distance. He also knew the area and animals so well that he could predict where they might be heading so that we could prolong our viewings. Plus, the safari was more than just viewing animals--we got a great education about the history of the area, and Tim was full of facts about all of the animals, plants, insects, spiders, etc. in the area, and tirelessly answered all of our questions, no matter how ridiculous the question may be.
We stayed at the Hilltop lodge which was also a good experience, and our river cruise on St. Lucia lake was beautiful. Overall, I would highly recommend Tim and his tours. I hope to return to South Africa and bring others with me so they can have a similar amazing experience!

Thank you Kiersten for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed your Tour. Look forward to meeting you all again.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We had a great time! Tim's extensive knowledge of the area enabled us to see lot of wild animals in a short time. I would certainly use Tim Brown Tours next time for a longer duration trip.

Thank you Hari for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed your Tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 26, 2013

If there is anyone coming across this tour guide while trying to line up a safari, go no further. We considered some of the larger, more established tours, but decided on Tim Brown Tours. And we certainly got our money's worth. It was the animals (saw plenty) or the weather (very nice), it was the small things throughout our two days with him. Tim was working as hard at the end of the tour as he was the first 10 minutes trying to guarantee we have the best experience possible. These are long days he put in, but not a single sign of a complaint. And you can only do that if you are a passionate about your job. Tim also has experience so he knows when to cut the engine, when to back up when elephants get rowdy, how to avoid potholes while scanning the brush, etc. If I ever end up back in South Africa, Tim will be the first one I call!!

Thank you Daren for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed your Tour.