“Hospitality par excellence!!”
Review of An Upper Room

An Upper Room
Ranked #5 of 262 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Christmas 2012 was our second consecutive Christmas stay at "An Upper Room" and that's why we were back.... Edith and her staff run a superb, safe and extremely friendly B&B in a quiet neighbourhood that is not far from the action in Durbs. Plus their fresh wholesome breakfasts never miss the spot! The lively dawn chorus from the birdlife is brilliant for suburbia, with a local troop of vervet monkeys adding excitement with their antics every few days or so! The view over Durban Bay is great, especially at night when the reflections from the harbour lights brighten up the waters. Edith willingly shares her extensive knowledge on what to see and do in and around Durbs, which includes a gastronomic jewel that sells the best cakes ever! We thoroughly enjoyed both our stays and have no hesitation in recommending "An Upper Room". John, Viv, Nicola

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank John W
Upperroom, Owner at An Upper Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review, we aim to please and make our guests comfortable. Thank you John Viv & Nicola

Reviewed December 14, 2012

What a beautiful and serene B&B with the most amazing service and charming Hosts. We loved every minute we stayed there. Would highly recommend to anyone. The area is wonderful and centrally situated and very close to Durban town centre. You need a car to get around though, but it is worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hassen S
Upperroom, Owner at An Upper Room, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your review, we enjoyed having you both and look forward to your next visit

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for two weeks and had an amazing stay. The room was spotless and serviced daily. It was a good size room with a bathroom ensuite. The view from the room was so beautiful. There is a fridge and microwave in a sitting area off the landing which was great for heating up dinner. Breakfasts were delicious, fresh and well presented. The hosts Edith and Leon were extremely hospitable and made me feel so welcome. They were available whenever I needed them and delivered on all my requests. The B and B has stunning pool and lounge chairs for relaxing.
I will definitely stay here if I come back to Durban and would recommend it to anyone needing accomodation.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank MarionS63
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at An Upper Room whilst on a one-night stopover in Durban. I would definitely recommend this wonderful homely B&B to anybody who is looking for personal attention. The hosts are welcoming and warm, the food was fantastic, the staff are friendly, the accommodation was so comfortable. Secure on site parking was provided. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the swimming pool with beautiful views over the nature reserve.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Hilganz
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I had to write an exam at the University of Kwazulu-Natal and needed a place that was near but within my budget. This b&b totally lived up to my expectations! Just a kilometer away from the Howard College Campus of UKZN, An Upper Room is situated in a quiet and safe neighborhood despite just being a stone's throw away from a main thoroughfare. The room I stayed in was clean , spacious, well-ventilated with a ceiling fan and had a great view of the Durban harbour.

Most importantly, the owners, Edith and Leon, and their staff were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Edith waited up until past midnight for me to arrive and made sure that I felt like I was in my own home for the whole duration of my stay. My only complaint about this place is that I wish there was a fridge inside the room. However, there is a fridge and microwave located in the sitting room just outside the rooms.

For anyone who needs an accommodation in the Glenwood area of Durban, I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: The room facing Clair Avenue has a great view of the harbour and the indigenous vervet monkeys.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank erasms2002
Upperroom, Owner at An Upper Room, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us as much as we enjoyed hosting you. Thank you so much for your feedback and we will endeavor to continue to improve on the experience. We look forward to your next visit. Edith & Leon

Reviewed October 22, 2012

A warm welcoming on arrival. The owners of this B&B will make you feel at home. Edith & Leon were so friendly, approachable and nice to stay with. They even offered to take us to town or beach as we didn't have our own transport. Connie was also a loving person to stay with. They prepared a nice breakfast everyday for us. As we were supposed to be at work by 07:00 in the morning, they woke up early to prepare breakfast for us. I was with my colleague and we both enjoyed our stay. The rooms were so nice and clean.Their service was impressive and I will miss them.

Room Tip: a room located were you will have nice view a room located in the corner is larger
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Patricia B

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Bed and Breakfast. Our goal is to strive for the best service around and we are happy to hear we met and exceeded your expectations. It was a pleasure having you stay and hope to see you in the future.

Edith & Leon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My family booked into this B n B early October 2012 and we had a great time staying at this place.The fooms where very nice and clean,The breakfast was very good and we where asked what we wanted for breaskfast and there was a wide range to choose from.
One of the staff even offered us a lift to town as we didnt not have a car for moving around.
All in al i would say this a good place to stay when in durban whether for business of leisure.Our son enjoyed playing with Bentlry as well.

Room Tip: Choose the room with a view to the beach and habour
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tawanda M
Upperroom, Manager at An Upper Room, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback; it was a pleasure having you stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Edith & Leon