“Could not ask for more”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Could not ask for more”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

In my opinion - the absolute best Durban has to offer - beautiful decor , fantastic food and we were looked after like royalty - my food advice - share the mussel starter - but the menu changes often.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Adeleben

Cape Town, South Africa
“It is good - but not excellent”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were in Umhlanga for the weekend and went to Harvey's for Saturday lunch, as we had heard so much about it. The service was very good, with the waiters being very attentive. There was only three other tables there though, so I would expect this. The menu is incredibly interesting and all the food sounds really good. I had the prawn tempura starter which tasted slightly "acidic". I think the oil used for the tempura could have been old. My husband had the chicken livers which were good. I ordered the lamb dish on a bed of parsnip puree, which was good, but not the best I've ever had. There was a sweetness to it which was did not complement the lamb. My husband had the duck, which he enjoyed. The portions are really big though, so they don't look like fine dining dishes - although they are plated well. We ordered the stilton cheesecake for dessert which was basically inedible - we sent it back. Very dry and crumbly. The waiter said the chef agreed with us and took the cost off the bill. Which makes me wonder if the chef actually tastes his dishes before sending them out? It was a good experience, but I did expect more.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Horrific Experience”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Harvey's Umhlanga has to be the worst restaurant experience and value for money in South Africa. Readers will know that I have reviewed a few places now and I am not usually this critical but our experience on Saturday, 22 February, 2014 was nothing short of appalling.

At the prices which Harvey's, Umhlanga charge, one would expect an overall truly excellent experience: on this occasion, we would have been better off at McDonalds. The waiters did not pay the slightest attention to us and had to be summoned every time we wanted water or an additional drink (including a wine top up). The actual food was good but not excellent. The music was loud enough to resemble a shabeen. The manager dismissed our plea for service and even disappeared as the evening wore on: he spent more time on the outside verandah gazing into the stars than he did managing his staff.

When it came to the time for desert, the waiter stood behind each guest and DEMANDED to know whether (s)he wanted desert, snatching the menu away if they hesitated. They did not have enough tea pots or hot water to bring tea at the end of the meal (they did give us the coffee and tea for free to apologise). Then the assistant manager wanted to explain that they were experimenting with a new coffee machine.

As the host, i was thoroughly embarrassed in front of my party of nine. Never again!

KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Lets start with the decor. Well done! Bathrooms are amazing. Service is exceptional. Waiters are so friendly. Food is good. Duck and rack of lamb is very very good. Enjoyed it. Very interesting cocktails.

Durban, South Africa
“An exceptional experience”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Every course of the set menu (it was Valentines day) was amazing. From the Amuse Bouche to Dessert, they were faultless and beautifully presented. It is a long time since I have found I was being more and more impressed as each course was served. It was more than a meal, it was an experience.

I have not been made to feel more welcome at a fine dining establishment for a long time.

Highly recommended.