“I felt safe”

Ranked #4 of 255 Durban B&B and Inns
Bathurst, South Africa
“I felt safe”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I felt that the management at Mackaya Bella took care to look after my needs and to make my stay in Durban secure. The breakfasts were excellent and the service unobtrusive and full. A delightful indigenous garden and a relaxing salt water pool helped to make my stay enjoyable. .

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
South Africa
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I needed overnight accommodation and the wonderful owners booked in into the small self catering flat. On arrival I found they had upgraded me to a beautiful, luxurious room! The room was spotless with all the extras I could imagine; kettle, alarm clock and fridge! The property is lovely and clean, in a safe area. Although I did not stay for breakfast it certainly smelt good! Definitely on my list should I need another overnight.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Johannesburg
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My four night stay Mackaya Bella was blissful. The small garden surrounding the charming house adds to a feeling of seclusion. The vibe is quiet, relaxed and comfortable. Louise made me feel immediately at home - instant contentment. My room had everything I needed - wireless connection was good. Breakfast on the deck was delicious. Good location in an established gracious area with really nice restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Flat at the pool was private and had its own kichenette
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I only spent one night here but wished I was able to stay longer. The house is beautiful and my room was spacious with a very impressive bathroom. Clean, comfortable and Louise is a very welcoming host. The breakfast was good too, best eaten on the terrace, which I am sure enhanced the flavour of everything. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
LouiseDurban, Owner at Mackaya Bella Guest House, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Sorry too that your stay was so short as we enjoyed your visit, and would have liked to learn more about your environmental projects.
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this lodge for two nights during September 2013. The guest house resides in the Glenwood suburb, a little bit far from the town center but in a quiet, pleasant neighborhood. The room we stayed in was cozy and tastefully furnished. The bed was big and comfortable and the bathroom is very stylish and includes bathrobes in addition to towels.
The owners Louise and John are great hosts, very helpful and friendly. Louise gave us some good tips about an art gallery in Durban and also recommended us an excellent Indian restaurant.
Since we are both vegans they arranged a vegan breakfast for us. Furthermore, on our first day we asked whether we could have the breakfast packed for us since we planned an early morning trip to a nearby nature reserve. Louise packed us a very delicious breakfast in a coolbox. It included bread and crackers, soya yogurt, fruit salad and pesto and humus pastes she made herself. We were quite overwhelmed.
The third "owner" of the guest house is Susie, the owner's dog. She is lovely and sweet and let us pet her throughout our stay.
All in all we highly recommend this guest house, not only because of its comfort and welcoming hospitality but mainly because it felt great to stay in a place its owners will go above and beyond to cater our dietary requests and make our stay pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Always a pleasure have guests interested in birding - being able to cater for dietary needs for vegans from our adjacent guerilla garden was fulfilling!
Seattle
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at Mackaya Bella, where I stayed for two nights. It is a beautiful house in a lovely setting--a very relaxing environment. The rooms and furnishings are tasteful and of high quality, like the very comfortable bed and luxurious high thread count cotton sheets. The breakfasts were delicious and generous, with the offerings varied day to day. The hosts and staff were all friendly and helpful. All-around excellent. I highly recommend!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my second stay at Mackaya Bella after five years and once again it has been a wonderful experience. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is very kind and helpful. The owners, Louise and John, are great hosts and give you the best advices for whatever you want to do in Durban. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business