“Friendly place to stay”

Mackaya Bella Guest House
Ranked #3 of 256 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Both the staff and proprietors were friendly and helpful. Breakfast on the terrace was lovely. Louise went beyond the call to accommodate me when she found out we shared interests in art.
My husband and I visited in March and we would stay there again without a second thought.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank syclark_13

Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was my delight to bring a team of ten visitors to Mackaya Bella in March for five nights, having scouted out the locale when visiting last July. What a terrific find! John and Louise were wonderful hosts. Louise made superb breakfasts. John even solved an internet access problem I sometimes have with my computer that many hotels cannot properly solve. The grounds were quiet (easy to sleep at night), the pool amazing, the rooms and shared areas clean as could be, bathrooms comfortable. Most rooms had air-conditioning option; I believe the stand-alone room in the smaller building had fans only. Wonderful balcony deck for meals and lounging, breezy areas inside as desired. The grounds have a secured fence, and the locale is rather close to the university, which was of prime importance to us. A five-minute walk to a local bakery and a pizza spot, if desired. I would have written this earlier but had to find time to process the hundreds of photos from my trip, including the few shown here. (Some are panoramics; I hope they show properly in the viewer.) We hope to return soon!

Room Tip: Just mention whether you seek air conditioning or not.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Antonio G
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at Mackaya Bella Guest House and found the room comfortable and quiet - just what one needs when one has spent the day working hard. The owners are charming people and I found them most accommodating with everything I needed, including a taxi to the airport at 6 in the morning. The breakfast was more than enough and served by friendly staff. I hope to see them again in November!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are not for those who want to sleep late as they are adjacent to the dining area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Albievs
Reviewed June 5, 2013

From some of the bad experiences we've had with on-line booking Mackaya turned out to be good value for money. The premises are well kept and very clean & seem to have everything a traveller would need. Louise gave us a warm welcome and our stay there was ok.

My only and main gripe is with the breakfast such that I'm glad we didn't plan to ask Louise to arrange any other meals for us. She was aware that we'd come there for the Comrades marathon which started very early on the Sunday morning but I feel she was just not willing to accommodate us in any manner. We asked that she maybe pre-pack sandwiches for us runners the night before and she in turn said she'd provide the bread & spread but we should make the sandwiches ourselves. Then after we left for our race, she served our supporters cheese sandwiches on the Sunday morning, claiming she doesn't cook on Sundays?!? Is that so?? Well, it would have been fair to charge us for the room only (and not the breakfast)...

They say first impressions last and from my first impression, I would not return to Mackaya.

Room Tip: If you're going to be running the Comrades, stay away from the upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
NickiMahony, Owner at Mackaya Bella Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2017

We have taken over ownership of Mackaya Bella from Louise and Jon, so apologies for only writing this review now. Suffice to say things have changed since this was written. We have had 2 years of Comrades races so far, and the same people are booking again this year. We definitely make a plan for early rises by putting out cereals, fruits, bread for toast and crockery/cutlery etc as well as packed takeaway bags with goodies they might need on the run. Anything else cold that is required at 3am is available in the fridge for them to grab. Supporters are then given a fully cooked breakfast when they get up. We cook EVERY day of the week! So come try us out and see the difference.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I arrived in Durban for one night to attend a friends wedding, my booking was done on that morning with ease and I was welcomed on arrival, host was very accommodating and friendly. The room was standard with elegant touches and the breakfast very good with good company. Beautiful garden, bit of a steep driveway, but overall convenient parking and safe. If I had to come again for a similar stay I would come back to Mackaya Bella Guest House.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I travel a lot so I always look for quiet places where I can work and rest. My stay was great! It turned out that I share mutual acquaintances with the owners. I also enjoyed the guerrilla gardening in the adjacent park!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed April 15, 2013

What can I say about a B&B named after a beautiful shrub?

They say that this tender shrub thrives in shade but flowers best with more sun and that the Blue Pansy butterfly caterpillars feed on this shrub. They also say that it attracts bees, butterflies and other insects and that those insects can be food for birds and other creatures in the garden. All that I know is that it carries the most beautiful flowers that I fell in love with them long ago and that is why we have it back home in our garden as well!

Then the company booked us for a week long stay at Mackaya Bella B&B and I lost my heart once again…

What a delightful stay! A lovely and sunny room where I immediately felt at home, clean and comfy, with a beautiful view of the garden. A treat on the tea tray and what else do you need? The most delightful tub in the on suite bathroom (including a separate shower of course!). Wait until you see the prints on the bathroom wall next to the tub. I adore them to bits!

The indigenous garden was pure joy and the relaxed atmosphere of this lovely guesthouse leaves me with pleasant memories of my stay. Quiet and safe surrounds if you want to take a walk. Ask Louise about her organic veggies and don’t forget the Gorilla Garden either…

The hosts, John and Louise, as well as the staff are warm, welcoming, friendly and well-organized. Louise went the extra mile as to provide us with delicious dinners on top! You can't ask for anything more.

It comes highly recommended. Whether bee, butterfly of insect, this grateful creature will most definitely be back!

Janice Losos