“Good value but disappointingly patchy service”

Coastlands Musgrave Hotel
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Good value but disappointingly patchy service”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked through an online agency and got a great deal on a deluxe room. On the plus side, the accommodation was attractive and spacious with a large balcony and stunning panoramic views of Durban. I thought the food was good and service in the restaurant and terrace bar area was fine.

The location was good for me being close to family I was visiting, but is not necessarily the perfect location for holidaying out of towners.

On the down side, although the room was well appointed some details need work - cigarette burns on the night table, no main switch so you have to search the room before bed to find all light switches and a scarred bath with no overhead shower attachment so you can't use the shower hose in the bath for a shower.

When I arrived no porter was in evidence and my driver had to lug my cases unassisted. Reception was quiet yet I was ignored by the receptionist and had to push to be served. Throughout my stay service was unreliable and many staff members appeared ignorant of common politeness. Occasional friendly service only highlighted this issue.

Hotel grounds are small and the pool area needs attention - it appears to belong to an adjoining house and feels peculiar, with no privacy at all from the main carpark and entrance.

Overall the hotel has the potential to be good but feels under managed and under maintained - a disappointing stay.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank dalearch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Broken lamps, impossible to find switches, cracked walls and poor service. Overall a very bad experience in a country that otherwise had fine hotels, good service and pleasant people. Durban is known to have pride in its hospitality and service. We hope that this was an aberration or that they will make efforts to improve themselves

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank peter1581
Owner R, Manager at Coastlands Musgrave Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Good Day

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Management is doing all in its power to investigate this issue as this not the type of service we offer.
Hope to host you in the near future with gauranteed change of perception.

Kind Regards,
Nishal Ramnarain
Coastlands on the Ridge Musgrave

Travelers are raving about these Durban hotels

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed September 9, 2012

i stayed in this hotel during the Fifa World Cup 2010
the hotel's location is good, the View From the rooms of the ocean and palm trees, the sun rise is heavenly beautiful.
the rooms are spacious modern and perfectly decorated
Food.... Wasn't the best but it is very good too.
Prices are a bit high but probably that was because of the World Cup
The Concierge Man Hussein is very helpful
i do advise everyone to visit this beautiful Hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Nashwa A
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at coastlands on the ridge with a friend, we went for the spa overnight stay. The spa treatments were heavenly, and the staff were friendly and efficient. I was very impressed with the chef and the food and the most attentive and accommodating manager from mauritius. I am quite a regular now and will always be. I highly recommend coastlands.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank tracymoodley
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The rooms are well appointed & comfortable... That was the only positive part of the weekend.

We had booked this for 3 night stay in June, and initially it seemed like it would be a great place to stay. However on the 1st night we had to put up with loud music & a party until 1am. When we complained we were informed that it was a function hotel I.e. hosting parties is more important that our hotel guests. We were however provided a discount for the inconvenience...

On the 2nd night we were woken up in the early hours of the morning by other guests banging on the doors next to us... And screaming in the presence of a hotel staff member who could not be bothered to control the situation.....

So although management apologized that did not make up for two nights I lost sleep.... I will never recommend this hotel or stay here again, clearly they have no concept of hotel management.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank morars
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The rooms were lovely-very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly, they went out of their way to accomodate any requests I made. I would definitely go back there!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Coastlands on the Ridge in September 2011 as a last minute booking for 1 night. The room rate was approx R1000 icl breakfast and you would expect excellent service.

We checked in at 3am, after booking at 9pm. Our room was, firstly, not the room prepeared for us but for a couple with a baby. This was horrifying to walk into a hotel room with a huge baby cot next to the bed. We moved the cot to the corridor outside. 2ndly, they gave us a room without a shower and a bath tub, obviously requested for by the couple with the baby. This was extremely uncomfortable since we are accustomed to a shower.

3rdly, there was no soap or bath mat and we had to request this from housekeeping.

If it weren't for these unfortunate events, we would have thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room is decorated with a boutique style, lovely huge balcony with a view across the city of Durban. The room was also very clean. Thick blockout curtains, which caused us to almost miss the checkout time! No fault of the hotel of course.

Upon checkout, we were given a refund for the night which was a good gesture from management, as well as a free night upon our return to Durban. The lady at reception took down my email address to email me the voucher for the free night.

In March this year, we decided to give the hotel a 2nd try and wanted to book a few nights, while utilising the 1 free night. Given that I had never received my voucher as promised, I had to then call and explain to somebody else the events of September 2011. Eventually the lady we initially dealt with found our details and granted us a free night. We were THEN told that the free night expires at the end of April. How can the hotel put an expiry to a free night when they never sent us details to begin with?? We therefore stayed the 1 free night and booked elsewhere for the rest of our trip. Overall, it is evident that this hotel lacks proper management. Its a lovely hotel, great location for access to durban central, malls and tourist attractions.

I generally do not complain about the nitty gritty but this was just unacceptable. A baby cot... No soap... Not bath mat... No correspondence.

Would be great if service levels could be improved at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011