“four night stay here”
Review of Hotel 64 on Gordon

Hotel 64 on Gordon
Ranked #56 of 258 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 1, 2013

the beds are so luxurious, even had a private zen garden attached to our room. only issue was that there was no door to the shower just a curtain covering you, which was a little awkward at times when sharing a room with people. had my expensive camera and money and phones scattered around the room when people came into clean and absolutely nothing was touched.

• Stayed: April 2013
Management response:Responded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and comments.
I am pleased to hear how you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 64 on Gordon in the near future.

Tarryn Burrows

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is unclean , we found bugs in the bed and the room.
It was not a good stay , the sheets and towels were dirty,

I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel.

Poor service.
There is nothing on the menu that caters for vegeterians.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 312595Mary
Management response:Responded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and comments.
I do apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I will be investigating the matter urgently, as this is not how I run my hotel.
With regards to the breakfast menu we have a variety of options on the menu to cater for all our guests and we will accommodate our guests in every means, thus why you can choose items one the menu to make up your breakfast.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Paid in advance for 3 rooms for 3 nights. Inspite of us communicating on emails for weeks and the night before my arrival- the following took place. Rooms were not booked in one building, on arrival we were not greeted - abruptly told that they were fully booked and could not start shifting guest around. Out of the 3 rooms only one room was serviced and ready (we arrived after a 6/7hour drive at 2.30 in the afternoon) - there are no tiles/carpet/etc on the floor of the rooms (this was a shock to me as I have travelled extensively and have never seen a hotel with cement floor), no tub only shower, linen was dirty and smelly (had to insist that the linen be changed for the two rooms) - bird pooh on my sliding door (inspite of me showing - never cleaned), sliding door muddy not cleaned, white chairs on balcony muddy, pealing paint on wall -strong paint smell, ants crawling in a line, had to request for toilet roll, towels/soaps not changed etc during my stay-my daughter's room had cochroach and spider on the wall - breakfast buffet flies - not covered with netting, etc. Cooked breakfast and coffee was great on the plus. Very noisy in the morning (as early as 6am). This hotel is not suited for families with children as there are no activies/gardens/swimming pools/gyms, etc. They have wifi which is charged.
It is suited for singles, couples, business - but not for long stays.

Room Tip: Not suitable for children - no activities/garden When booking ask for rooms on the Sunny Side - my...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank shamin d
Management response:Responded January 15, 2013

Dear Shamind

Thank you for your review.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay for you and your family.
The reason as to why we could not allocate the rooms nearer to one another was due to the fact we were fully booked and I feel that the rooms were allocated to the best of our abilities.
If you see any of the photos on any online site for our hotel it does not advertise a pool/gym/activities as we do not offer any of them.
In the photos of our rooms it clearly shows the concrete floors as this is the design of the hotel.
We are designed to be an industrial looking hotel.
We do not advertise our rooms to have bath tubs as there are only showers in all our rooms and if you had requested a room with a bath tub my staff members would have advised you on the time of booking that we do not have any bath tubs/gym/pool/activities for children.
With regards to the rooms not being ready I do apologize for this and this was an issue with my laundry who failed to deliver on time and I apologize about this.

The wifi is complimentary to all our guests and the code is obtained from reception.
If asked at reception my staff would have gladly given you or your family members a code for the wifi.

Our breakfast buffet has nets to cover the fruit salad/yoghurt, etc due to the odd fruit flies we have and they are placed on top of the food at all times.

Tarryn Burrows

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We made a booking and paid in full. In our first enquiry and confirmation we requested a certian room. When we got there we were given a room at the back next to the parking area that we did not want but had no choice. FURTHER we were told that they made a mistake with the rate and that we actually have to pay double than the amount quoted and accepted.

The next morning the manager interrupted my breakfast and loudly announced that I have a problem with the rate in front of everybody! I asked if I can see her later, we were with a Swiss friend and he wanted no trouble and insisted that we pay and stay....

This time our rooms were dirty, we found a fly in the orange juice that was just spooned out.... the staff was so unhelpful and did not understand anything we asked, my friend said that it is the most unmotivated staff he has ever seen.

I was so embarrassed and would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EmilFaber
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Booking was a pleasure after a bad experience with another guesthouse in Durban. We got to the guesthouse easily, it is very centrally located, great rooms with balcony and everything we needed.

Breakfast in the morning was more than adequate, and no charge for the extra coffee!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EmilFaber
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here in January for 4 nights and although it's not so close to the beach it's a lovely hotel with a very nice selection of breakfast and the food at the restaurant was very nice! Would defiantly recommend this hotel for people looking for some peace and quiet and nice rooms... Good value for money!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Very reasonable price for its excellent location, with simple yet elegant design. The staff are very friendly, but it seems management needs a bit of oversight since the rooms were not very clean (used glasses, dirty carpet in bathroom, had to ask for staff to clean a table for breakfast and for new towels in the room..). Its a great concept- just needs attention. Breakfast is good; careful of the way overpriced bar, even for sparkling water!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter, towards the back.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business