“High Tea / Baby Shower”

The St. James on Venice
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed June 2, 2014

While searching the net for a High Tea venue to have my cousin’s baby shower, a very bold St James on Venice stood out. I phoned and made my booking straight away. I was helped by a very friendly Charity. I had booked their boardroom for my function. I was called the morning of baby shower by Melissa who suggested I have the function in the courtyard as it was a lovely day. So glad we did move it outside as the day was perfect. The guests had a lovely time and the high tea in the garden was perfect. The Service from the staff was excellent; they were so helpful and friendly and were only too happy to assist.
I would recommend a high tea for any function at St James on Venice.
Thanks again for a lovely day and for making” the mommy to be” day memorable”.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank Mandi777
Sunet P, General Manager at The St. James on Venice, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Good Day Mandi

Thank-you so much for your great feedback, I will be sure to pass it on. Please come again soon (this time with the little baby!)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I wanted to book this venue out for a ladies function. It looked so idyllic and a high tea seemed like the perfect activity for ladies. A friend of mine and myself decided to test out the venue before I made a booking for the fucntion.

Thank goodness I did. The high tea on the whole was dismal. We were ignored by the waitress, the tea was cold, the itmes looked like they were from the previous day. There was no soft background music for atmosphere, just a deathly silence.
It was almost like they had forgotten we made the booking for high tea and were scarmbling to make a plan in the last minute.

The only nice thing was that the Hotel is very pretty, it does however need instruction on service and catering.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Good Day

Thank-you for your valuable feedback; I apologize that you had a terrible experience. I would really like to prove to you that this is not our standard and invite you to contact me so that we can set a date and time in order for us to redeem ourselves. I truly am sorry that you found the entire experience so bad.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Ive been meaning to get to this review but time just hasnt been on my side. So as they say, better late than never. Im a tough act to please and I usually dont say much unless the service is exceptionally poor or in this case, exceptionally GREAT! I loved the beautiful romantic decor - its chic and elegant. The location is perfect and makes it easy to get in and around to where you need to be, whether it be meetings or catching up for a glass of wine with friends. The team are attentive and kind without being painful and awkward. Definitely try their version of eggs onassis, my second favourite in Durban. I hear their high teas are sensational so I will be popping in in June for a glass of champagne (or three) and a cupcake. Thanks again for a lovely stay. Cant wait to be back

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Good Day

Thank-you so much for your kind word, it is truly amazing and very gratifying to read feedback like this and my staff absolutely thrive at it. We in turn look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

we hada combined birthday/anniversary dinner in april. it was fabulous!food excellen and service on.cant complain about anything.sunet Vicky and the staff were awesome. thanks guys
the outside terrace was great - we couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Linde

Thanks so much for your kind words, we enjoyed sharing the special day with you and your family and friends.

I am sure we will see you for breakfast or lunch again soon!

Sunet and Team

Reviewed May 11, 2014

A small Hotel in a calm area, decent rates and helpful staff, when present. The 2 outside rooms 5 and 6 are noisy because of a water feature in the garden area, a water fountain is running all night. If you want to sleep I recommend the inside rooms to the front of the Hotel. Breakfast is delicious and well presented, we did not have lunch but the big problem in this Hotel is dinner, no dinner served on weekends we were told on arrival. On Sundays it is almost impossible to get a meal, there is a delivery service that does bring food but on Sundays this also is a nightmare, I did not have dinner at all because most restaurants on the delivery menu are closed. I ordered a bottle of wine in the room on one evening and saved half the bottle for the next evening, the next day the used glasses were obviously touched but not cleaned, still having dried wine in the bottom, I had to clean them myself with tap water that stinks of chlorine.
I booked this Hotel via Hotelbeds, luckily I called the Hotel a week before my arrival because to my big surprise I was told by the front office that no room was available for me although I had a confirmed and guaranteed and fully paid booking. After a day of email exchanges, where they tried to book me at another fully booked hotel, phone calls abroad and a lot of frustration they finally told me that a guest had just cancelled and that a room was available in the end. I suspect they did not check their records and found my reservation after looking a bit more in detail, no admission of fault or excuses though. Another big no no is that the access to the reception area from the outside rooms is locked from the inside from 5 PM on, if you need anything you have to call reception or go around the Hotel to the front entrance, not very comfortable when it's raining to say the least and you do really feel locked out. All in all extremely disappointing because it could be a good Hotel to recommend if all these problems were addressed properly and dinner was served. I do not think I will come back to this place in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AngataFmH
Sunet P, General Manager at The St. James on Venice, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Good Day
My apologies for the delay in this response. Thank-you for your feedback, some very good and other areas that need improvement. I am sorry that you found the sound of the water feature noisy; had we known this we would have moved you (should a room have been available) or simply turned it off.
Unfortunately, the hotel does not offer dinner as per our website. We have contacted Hotelbeds, whom facilitated your reservation to advise them to change this on their confirmation as well. Your reservation was not received by the hotel as Hotelbeds did not send a voucher to us; I do apologize for this and we have rectified this so that in future it does not happen again.
I recall chatting to you through out your stay and would have been able to rectify these issues if you mentioned them to me. We appreciate your comments; I have used this feedback to rectify issues on our side and make sure that we do training on the areas concerned. If you are ever in the Durban again, we would love to host you and show this improvement.
Warm Regards

Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel was amazing. We didn't know what to expect but for the price of the room with breakfast included it was amazing. The room was beautiful, secure and the staff and the hotel was really spectacular. Recommend to anyone

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunet P, General Manager at The St. James on Venice, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Good Day

Thank-you for taking the time to send us such lovely feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Sunet and Team

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Booked for a long weekend in Durban and stayed at this quaint, lovely establishment. The rooms are very well appointed and comfortable, large with beautiful stained glass features and high ceilings. The restaurant is fabulous and the food is really great! It is well located, near Florida Rd - which has a great vibe with all the restaurants and bars. The bed linen is white Egyptian cotton and very comfortable. I suggest you choose a room facing the courtyard as opposed to the road, since it can be noisy at times. A pity they ran out of ice and certain wines on Saturday afternoon. Take note that the restaurant is closed for dinner on Saturday and Sunday evenings.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dia_Carstens
Sunet P, Manager at The St. James on Venice, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on our hotel. We do look forward to having you back, soon I hope!