“A Taste of South African History”
Review of Street Scene Tours

Street Scene Tours
Ranked #5 of 71 Tours in Durban
More attraction details
Owner description: Street Scene Tours was created by Sthembiso Mbonanbi, Jonas Barausse and Richard Powell, in early 2010, with one unique goal set at its core; to showcase Durban to Durbanites. As you can imagine this is by no means the conventional stance of a tour operator, but Street Scene is not your conventional tour operator. They are constantly exploring Durban and its surrounds, ever on the lookout for nuggets of history and the many hidden gems the province has to offer.Durban and its surrounding areas are filled with a rich tapestry of history which is largely unknown not only to tourists, but also its residents. After all, Mahatma Gandhi made Durban his home for many years, and it was just outside Durban that Nelson Mandela cast his vote in the 1994 elections that forever changed South Africa. The great King Shaka Zulu also spent much time on the very land upon which Durbanites now call home.From the city's architecture to its people, Street Scene aims to engulf its guests in all that is Durban. They started out with their focus on locals but soon realized that when you create a set of tours that residents of the city love, you are guaranteed to have tours that visitors to the city will find riveting and unique. There is nothing conventional about Street Scene Tours, and that's just the way we like it.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Sthembiso took us on a superscene tour in April/13
We first saw all of the downtown markets and non tourist sites
The afternoon was followed by a township tour .
The real history of South Africa was revealed
We would have no such understanding without this tour
Money well worth spent

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went on a township tour with Street Scene this week. Although having lived in Durban for 25 years went to places that I never knew existed.
Very knowledgeable guides who could not have been more informative or such good hosts for our party of 6. Delicious township lunch and drinks in a roadside bar included.
Altogether something that visitors to Durban should not miss, way out of the usual tourist routes and an experience that they will never forget
Well done and good luck,

2  Thank Essenwood
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It’s not very often you come across a tour company that is excellent in every way but Street Scene is one of these. From my very first contact by email from the UK I was treated in an exemplary manner...with politeness, great efficiency and with a refreshing helpfulness to make my week’s stay in Durban a great one. And it was indeed...in all I did 4 tours with them and it was hard to separate which ones I liked best, although the Sani Pass and Valley tours were remarkable.
The first tour I did was the City Tour which gave me a good overview of the city and it’s history. Lwazi also took me to some fascinating markets including the “herb” market where medicine is prepared (and you can’t take photos!) and led me to experience a “bunny chow”. A good introduction to urban Durban life.
The second was a trip of a lifetime up the Sani Pass into Lesotho. It was a long day from 6am to 7pm but worth every minute. First, Richard, one of the owners, drove us to Underberg which took a few hours, then we changed into a 4x4 with the ebullient Rudi who kept us thoroughly entertained whilst driving up to almost 10,000 feet....including the OMG corner overlooking a VERY steep drop! After having our passports stamped, visiting a local village and having homemade bread and beer in a village hut we spent time with local children before having a delicious lunch at the highest pub in Africa. We then came slowly down to the base of the pass and made our way back to Durban again.
The third trip was to the Valley of the 1,000 hills....our local guide took us to the river to tell us love stories, we visited the local Zulu primary school and then had a walk round the village culminating in meeting the head man’s first wife, the spiritual healer and having lunch in a family rondavel (using the food we’d bought in Durban market).
The fourth trip focussed on the heritage and townships of Durban....it was a moving experience to hear about Gandhi’s time there and see the place where Mandela cast his first vote. The tour around the townships was fascinating and I learned so much that was new....mainly because my guide Sthembiso had grown up and still lived there. I was also lucky to meet his Mum as we popped into his house on the chance that she was there!
All in all, I would recommend Street Scene without reservation to anyone who wants to see “normal” life in Durban and the surrounding areas...there’s not a tour bus in sight and that’s definitely not a bad thing!

2  Thank ChrisB-Moseley
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Engaging, enthusiastic, very knowledgeable guide on our township tour. Trip to Ghandi spot was super, visit to Durban Univ. of Technology went on a bit too long (though guide there was clearly very invested in the historic significance of the place). I would have preferred more time visiting the township, with more content beyond hanging out a bit awkwardly with locals on the shop stoop (or at least more interpretation of the experience after the fact). Love the Zulu language cheat sheet!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A very big thank you to Jonas and Sthembiso of Street Scene for a great tour. Sthembiso's historical knowledge and ability as a storyteller are firstclass. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience - all nicely rounded off with a chilled beer and shisanyama lunch. To be recommended.

1  Thank Monique J