“Stop looking, book now!”

The Concierge Boutique Bungalows
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have not stayed anywhere else in Durban nor would I want to. The trendy and unique style of the hotel itself is super fun and creates a modern, comfortable feel. The staff deliver on the stylings and are themselves friendly, hip and beautiful. They and the management know who you are and seem dedicated to adding personal touches to each individual's stay. They'll greet you by name, help you plan your day and travels, and go the extra mile on everything.

The Freedom Café, on site but technically its own independent business, is super stellar. The complimentary breakfast is amazing and I can only imagine that their public menu is fun and delicious.

Simply put, one of the best boutique hotels I've stayed anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and likely the same cost; they seem to be filled on an arbitrary basis.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew M
There are newer reviews for The Concierge Boutique Bungalows

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just a gem of a place. As cute as it gets rooms, an incredible staff, unbelievable breakfast in one of the most down to earth contemporary African atmosphere spots. Really a not to be missed spot. 5 minute cab ride from ICC.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank SJolles
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've already reviewed this hotel 2 years ago and have stayed there a number of times after that. The reason to write this review is that all my previous stays were for business. This time I stayed there for a week on a holiday with family. Needless to say that my frequent visits to the concierge means it's become more like second home and the staff sees to it that I'm treated like coming home. I was with my wife and my 4 year old son. All of us enjoyed our stay in the 1.1. All .1 rooms are larger rooms with a bathtub, but do not have a patio like .2 and .3 rooms. Freedom Cafe is now one of the "In" places for breakfast and lunch and is usually packed to capacity every day. On a holiday, the location of the hotel near eateries of Florida and Windermere road was a blessing as we returned late every evening from our trips and still had a choice of restaurants to go to. If you prefer a hotel on holidays that gives you full range of services including room service, pool, gym, the Concierge may not be your best choice. But, if you, like me, prefer a laid back hotel with a holiday feel back with good service, take my advice and stay here. You would live it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sundeep1211
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Fresh (?) from our flight from London, this place was a treat. Primrose was most welcoming. The room was great - although occasionally noisy - and the food was fresh (they appear to cook everything themselves - even their bread) and was creative. We took away their bread recipe. Carrot cake was wild. Primrose and the staff were attentive and fun. The local clientele for the Freedom Café speaks volumes.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

There's nothing not to love about this place! This is probably one of my all time favorite experiences at a hotel. Besides the amazing decor and food, the staff was just about the friendliest bunch I've encountered at a hotel.The minute I arrived I was so well taken care of. The manager on that afternoon (Primrose) greeted my by name and knowing I had been traveling for many hours, offered to make me a fresh cappuccino and brought me straight to my room to relax. When I was refreshed I came out and she was there to chat with me about what I would be doing in Durbs and arranged a taxi for me straight away. She was so friendly and warm and such a welcoming presence after a less than ideal few days of traveling!
My room was great, I stayed in 2.3 and had a king with an outdoor area. It was just what I needed and actually made me want to hang out and enjoy the room. They have everything you could need in there and lots of extra touches that just make it more interesting. The food. Don't even get me started. Amazing. Fresh, creative, delicious, and beautifully presented. I would come to eat here even if I wasn't staying at the hotel. To top everything off, I got a hug when I left. How awesome is that? : )

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Truly a secret garden in Durban. A little tough to find and in a funky neighborhood that straddles two completely different neighborhoods, one much better than the other. This little 12 room boutique is a gem.
We were greeted by first name as we pulled in. Quickly registered and whisked away to our rooms and shown the amenities. A bathroom to die for with a rain shower (omg I could have stayed there for hours) a big modern free standing tub and slate floors. Remote control fan, air conditioning, large tv, desk, sitting chair, and extremely welcoming big bed with handcrafted headboard. The well stocked mini-bar, a tray of a candy treats of all kinds and full bottle of wine for purchase in the room were a nice touch. Room was also equipped with a plug adapter, ironing board and iron, and room safe. The Freedom Cafe Greets visitors with coffee, tea, infused water and a wide selection of beer and bakery goods. The ocean container converted to indoor cafe is cozy but the outdoor garden eating area is special. It was great to hang there and have an evening beer rubbing elbows with unnamed Bollywooders that often call this place home for week at a time. Breakfast included a wide variety of selections. I had the delicious Greek yogurt fruit parfait and my colleague the salmon omelet. Only downside is the bit of noise if your room sits on the secured parking lot side - gravel makes some noise as the cars pull in or out and the somewhat tqkind of funky neighborhood. Great eateries within a couple blocks but i wouldn't walk it after dark. Definitely worth the money and what a value! In other parts of the world you would pay top $ for a gem like this. Thanks Oliver and Jo for great stay!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice cosy rooms with all the functions working. (Apart from the WiFi-some Telkom problem for 5 days)

Unfortunately just across from my room there was a man working on his aluminium room all hours even Sunday and his Car was pulling in and out all the time.

Apart from those things which the hotel has no control over. I liked the place. Very nice managers.

• Stayed: March 2013