The Concierge Boutique Bungalows
The Oceanic(Durban)
  • Breakfast included
SUN1 Durban(Durban)
View Hotel
All reviewsfreedom cafeflorida roadrain showerlarge showercomfortable bedsbar fridgebreakfast was delicioushome away from homebeach frontverandaminibarretreatsecuritymaintenanceproximitybedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2013

There's nothing not to love about this place! This is probably one of my all time favorite experiences at a hotel. Besides the amazing decor and food, the staff was just about the friendliest bunch I've encountered at a hotel.The minute I arrived I was so well taken care of. The manager on that afternoon (Primrose) greeted my by name and knowing I had been traveling for many hours, offered to make me a fresh cappuccino and brought me straight to my room to relax. When I was refreshed I came out and she was there to chat with me about what I would be doing in Durbs and arranged a taxi for me straight away. She was so friendly and warm and such a welcoming presence after a less than ideal few days of traveling!
My room was great, I stayed in 2.3 and had a king with an outdoor area. It was just what I needed and actually made me want to hang out and enjoy the room. They have everything you could need in there and lots of extra touches that just make it more interesting. The food. Don't even get me started. Amazing. Fresh, creative, delicious, and beautifully presented. I would come to eat here even if I wasn't staying at the hotel. To top everything off, I got a hug when I left. How awesome is that? : )

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Truly a secret garden in Durban. A little tough to find and in a funky neighborhood that straddles two completely different neighborhoods, one much better than the other. This little 12 room boutique is a gem.
We were greeted by first name as we pulled in. Quickly registered and whisked away to our rooms and shown the amenities. A bathroom to die for with a rain shower (omg I could have stayed there for hours) a big modern free standing tub and slate floors. Remote control fan, air conditioning, large tv, desk, sitting chair, and extremely welcoming big bed with handcrafted headboard. The well stocked mini-bar, a tray of a candy treats of all kinds and full bottle of wine for purchase in the room were a nice touch. Room was also equipped with a plug adapter, ironing board and iron, and room safe. The Freedom Cafe Greets visitors with coffee, tea, infused water and a wide selection of beer and bakery goods. The ocean container converted to indoor cafe is cozy but the outdoor garden eating area is special. It was great to hang there and have an evening beer rubbing elbows with unnamed Bollywooders that often call this place home for week at a time. Breakfast included a wide variety of selections. I had the delicious Greek yogurt fruit parfait and my colleague the salmon omelet. Only downside is the bit of noise if your room sits on the secured parking lot side - gravel makes some noise as the cars pull in or out and the somewhat tqkind of funky neighborhood. Great eateries within a couple blocks but i wouldn't walk it after dark. Definitely worth the money and what a value! In other parts of the world you would pay top $ for a gem like this. Thanks Oliver and Jo for great stay!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice cosy rooms with all the functions working. (Apart from the WiFi-some Telkom problem for 5 days)

Unfortunately just across from my room there was a man working on his aluminium room all hours even Sunday and his Car was pulling in and out all the time.

Apart from those things which the hotel has no control over. I liked the place. Very nice managers.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This long overdue review was prompted by this small hotel's new website launch. We stayed there in November 2012 on our way back from a visit to the turtle hatching in Northern KZN. We absolutely LOVED this place. While the room that we had was not very big, as an overnight stop it was absolutely perfect. It even had a charming little balcony with lots of plants and chairs and drinks table. The bathroom was very spacious with a great 'power shower'. The warmth and friendliness of the staff was really outstanding. The recommendation for dinner was excellent - vibey place, great food. The following morning, the breakfast served in the converted container-restaurant was very special and delicious. Freshest of fresh juice in a wide range of options and interesting hot dishes made it very special. It is very popular with locals as well. The funky touches, the modern decor and furniture, not to mention the outrageous daschund, make this an outstanding place to stay.

Our overnight in a different hotel, on the way up to the turtles,had been so abysmal that we had been dreading our Durban stay. Well, these guys completely changed our view of the city!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Arrived late afternoon after a long hot day travelling, the Concierge is tucked away behind the main streets.We asked if we could view the rooms before we signed in and were pleasantly surprised how gorgeous they were.The two rooms were booked by my son/girlfriend back in the UK before we departed and certainly have the wow factor.Primrose and her staff made us all very welcome,after that first night we all certainly wanted to stay a second but unfortunately the place was fully booked.Loved the tea maker and the breakfast is full recommended .

Room Tip: Super comfortable beds, and the most amazing shower.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple